4S center diff in a 3S 4x4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShankAaron

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 3s
Unfortunately for my 3S Senton monster conversion and V3 BRCC bashers, my tinkeritis is acting up. Just curious if anyone has converted to a center diff and deleted the slipper? What parts did you install? How'd it work out for you?

If you're not having issues with the slipper's, leave them alone.. half the people I see install center diffs on the slipper rigs lock them up with high viscosity fluids or ear plugs.. not to mention the rash of exploding spurs and pinions..

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.. just my humble opinion..

But, if you want to..
Module with mount,
Complete center diff
Module retaining block

Seems I've heard folks are using the 4s Mojo center diff in other rigs? Not sure.

Yes sir, all of them are the same.. k4, oc4, mojo.

If you're not having issues with the slipper's, leave them alone.. half the people I see install center diffs on the slipper rigs lock them up with high viscosity fluids or ear plugs.. not to mention the rash of exploding spurs and pinions..

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.. just my humble opinion..

But, if you want to..
Module with mount,
Complete center diff
Module retaining block
I agree, if someone is going to stuff 20mil or earplugs into the center diff, don't bother. But, a center diff can be valuable for tuning a rigs handling for sure. If the slipper is giving problems in durability, I can see why a diff can be better. I never owned an Arrma 4x4 w/slipper. Heard many complaints, but also others who have no problems. Pick your poison I suppose.

Unfortunately for my 3S Senton monster conversion and V3 BRCC bashers, my tinkeritis is acting up. Just curious if anyone has converted to a center diff and deleted the slipper? What parts did you install? How'd it work out for you?
I'm in the same boat. Monster Senton, issues. I've been researching this question, & yes. It can be done, I've found. Gotta be better than a slipper

I put the center diff in a Granite after some receiver box cutting. It's very nice if you are going higher power, the slipper struggles with 4s and 6s is far too much for it to handle.

I've had the center diff in my granite. I felt that it was less squirrely and more manageable while in a drift. I took it out and put it in my big rock running 4s and thinking about 6s. So far, I like it. I bought the mod so I could feel first hand what the difference is/was. Would I buy another one? I like it, but I'd rather invest the $100 into durability or shocks, tires, or even a new esc/motor before putting in a center diff. And the reason is simple.. there's nothing wrong with a slipper clutch. Why fix something that's not broken? (Unless it's broken, ofcourse. 😆). I'd only buy another one if my slipper clutch broke and I had the extra cash.

Also, I refuse to put in earplugs or 20 million diff fluid. Why put in a center diff just to lock it? That's a waste of $ to me. Currently, I'm running the stock 500k. Might bump it up to 750k/1 million to mitigate some front tire ballooning, but it's actually not too bad for me now. I also really wish someone would make a mod1 gear for that sucker too. Only time will tell..

Ok, so let me see if I can unpack all of the responses. I'll condense all of it into one response, and warn everyone that I really do mean it in a positive manner. I'm just not very good at sounding that way in text, so please bear with me.

Most of you advised the "not broke, don't fix" rule that I wholeheartedly agree with (except the slipper IS actually broken), but for you TLDR guys, it's a basic response for me- because we want to do it.

So, I got my 7 year old autistic son into RC late last year and he's really taken to it. Everything started as an outlet where he could channel his personality and focus on creating something and it's exploded into a passion for him. For me, it's yet another opportunity to spend time with him in a way where I can actually relate to what he's trying to accomplish. It's gotten to the point he's trying to talk to me about RC driving and mechanics that I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of. I've had about a 25 year-ish layoff from the RC world myself.

Here's a couple of brief examples- he wanted to know how his BRCC would perform on a 4S motor, how it would handle with better shocks, and what effects bigger tires would have on the performance and motor, how would it perform with metal parts, etc etc etc. Me being me, I told him if we only upgrade parts that have failed or we've broken, and he does the wrenching, then he can find out first hand and come to his own conclusions. That's exactly what we did. I'll admit, I didn't expect him to understand things down to an expert level, but he learned a lot of solid lessons that have held, so far.

Which leads me to the reason I put this post up. We fried the original plastic slipper clutch last week. The spur gear is missing teeth and all of the clutch pads are missing. I had originally bought a HR steel spur gear, but I never got around to installing it, so the slipper was all factory (including the factory setting/adjustments). Since my above promise of only upgrading broken parts, my son brought up the center diff question and I couldn't answer him, I've never worked on one. I did promise to get some answers which is why I posted here. Hopefully, this doesn't come off as standoffish, that's not the intent. I actually appreciate the help and points of view.

That's awesome. I got it just to get it too. Honestly, just wanted to feel the difference. Also, this is what makes the hobby great! You can customize as you please. The "if it's not broke, why fix it?" Is particularly for ppl on a budget and just trying to help save ppl some $. But if it's what you want, no one's judging here. It's your guys' build. Trust me, I've seen some crazy 💩 around here. And if you stick around long enough, you will too. Lol

Just got thru swapping the 4s Mojave center fluid diff & power module/gearbox into my Senton 3s. Fit right in. Senton driveshaft fits perfectly. Have to have the chassis insert lock from the 4s module. It's shorter. There are 2 holes in the Mojave gearbox that are for 2 M4 flathead screws that go in from the bottom of the chassis into the gearbox. The holes are already there in the Senton chassis, I just had to countersink them for the screws.

Just got thru swapping the 4s Mojave center fluid diff & power module/gearbox into my Senton 3s. Fit right in. Senton driveshaft fits perfectly. Have to have the chassis insert lock from the 4s module. It's shorter. There are 2 holes in the Mojave gearbox that are for 2 M4 flathead screws that go in from the bottom of the chassis into the gearbox. The holes are already there in the Senton chassis, I just had to countersink them for the screws.

What fluid weight did you wind up going with for F/C/R? Did you get the chance to run it yet, and how'd it go?

What fluid weight did you wind up going with for F/C/R? Did you get the chance to run it yet, and how'd it go?
Stock fluid in the 4s diff that came in it. I think that's 500k. Left the Senton F&R diffs as stock. Haven't run it yet. I have to swap the ESC.

Pics of install. 4&8 show the two holes already in the chassis I counter sunk. There's a skirt on the back of the gearbox that covers better than the 3s one & should keep out dirt much better

20240402_163358.jpg

20240402_163302.jpg

20240402_163255.jpg

20240402_163222.jpg

20240402_163143.jpg

20240402_163117.jpg

20240402_163127.jpg

20240402_163239.jpg

Nice, and thanks for taking the time, bud.

I'm waiting on the M2C parts to get here and once they do, I'll be starting my own build with a center diff from a fresh chassis. I'll do a build thread for it as it goes.

half the people I see install center diffs on the slipper rigs lock them up with high viscosity fluids or ear plugs.. not to mention the rash of exploding spurs and pinions..

100%. If you’re going to stick ear plugs in your diff, just buy a spool for cheaper and then at least you’ll have extra money to buy more broken spurs and driveshafts and ripped tires.

Nope, no ear plugs. Honestly have no clue how that would benefit what I'm trying to do. I cleaned out the diff and put some 30K in the center diff, and so far its handling really well.

Here's a little preview of the center diff project that I'll be doing a build thread on soon. It's almost finished so I'll hold off on posting anymore about it until it's complete. In the few shakedown runs with it so far, I'm happy I went this route.

20240424_132223.jpg

Back