Kraton Kraton 6S V5 BLX - Straight Out Of The Box - Newbie Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickE6012

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Brand new to this Forum, and brand new to the world of RC cars too. So my entry into this world has led me to purchasing a Kraton 6S V5, and I absolutely love it! So what's the point of this thread? Well, I can see lots of threads here about things that i know nothing about using terms and phrases that mean nothing to me (as a new user). So I thought a thread, specifically designed for new users would be a good idea, to help people like me out with some basics, such as:

- Straight out the box, what do I need to know?
- Straight out of the box, what do I need to do or check?
- When I look at the front wheel, they don't align, as in they are both pointing slightly outwards... is this normal?
- The front wheel assembly also feels quite loose, it all wobbles a fair bit. Is this normal?
- After the first few hours' worth of use, what should I be checking, adjusting etc?
- What is a good cleaning regime?
- Should I be lubricating any joints after use and before packing away?
- Anything else? Go for it...

Thanks

Welcome to the Ranch!

Firstly, read and familiarize yourself with the Owner's Manual of the rig.
And learn about Lipo battery charging and Safety. Very important.

You'll need to invest in a good hex driver set.

It's basically learn as you go.

Have fun and enjoy!

Welcome to the forum!
Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

Just look around the forum as much as possible. I spent the first few months just reading, bookmarking and watching YT. Check for loose screws, gear mesh, wheel hexes...and just have fun sending it. Then you can start looking at how to check the diffs, shocks and tuning them. Enjoy!

Lipo basics.
Check all screws. Check tires regularly, they come unglued where the rubber meets the rim.
“Toe out” is normal on the front tires. “Toe in” is normal on the backs. Slop is normal on the hub assemblies but can be mitigated.
I don’t use water for other cleaning compounds just a bristle brush. Air compressor too. Some guys use water and compounds to clean…..it’s personal.
I don’t lube anything but regular differential maintenance.
don't use the tools provided, buy some MIP hex drivers, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3mm.

Use the exploded view here to familiarize yourself with how this rig is put together and parts nomenclature.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/interactive-exploded-view?pid=ARA8608V5T1

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Brand new to this Forum, and brand new to the world of RC cars too. So my entry into this world has led me to purchasing a Kraton 6S V5, and I absolutely love it! So what's the point of this thread? Well, I can see lots of threads here about things that i know nothing about using terms and phrases that mean nothing to me (as a new user). So I thought a thread, specifically designed for new users would be a good idea, to help people like me out with some basics, such as:

See @Tex Koder 's reply.
If you're like most of us, you'll check everything.:) I'd start with diff fluids level and diff shimming (a lot of topics on this forum), shock oil level, wheel hex shimming.
- When I look at the front wheel, they don't align, as in they are both pointing slightly outwards... is this normal?
Yes, and the rear wheels should slightly face inwards.
- The front wheel assembly also feels quite loose, it all wobbles a fair bit. Is this normal?
It probably needs wheel hex shimming.
- After the first few hours' worth of use, what should I be checking, adjusting etc?
Listen for strange (ratlting) sounds. If so see you first question.
Always store dry. A (small) compressor or leaf blower will get the job done quickly.
They sell special grease for driveshafts etc. but I don't use it. Jsut try to keep dirt out of the drive cups.

Thanks

Welcome to the club!(y)

Straight out of the box? Put it back in the box and save a lot of $ :LOL: j/k. a great hobby and do all what they said above. Mechanical ability to some extent is a must in order not to break the bank and keep you up and running. Your going to really enjoy it and welcome!

Read the manual. You will need a good RC tool kit, hexes drivers, needle nose pliers. scissors, lock tight blue only, and so on. Out of the box means pure stock with no Upgrades. On my 1st run, I go slow to see how straight my machine goes and I adjust steering as needed. Just go easy until you feel comfortable. then let loose. You will figure it out pretty quick I'm sure. Have fun and good luck. Welcome to Arrma. You will like it here. Lots of good people. 🏁

Welcome to your new world 👍,and welcome to AF..you are at the right place for loads of info and great people here..enjoy your new hobby as you will learn soon it's very addictive and so isn't this forum.youll find your self on here everyday . knowledge is the key.learn as you go .

Thanks

-General LiPo safety and understanding that a 10lb car of this weight at speed can really, really hurt someone. It's a toy in the same sense that a motorcycle or side by side is a toy, and they require a bit of caution to operate.

-All nuts/bolts are tight. Gear mesh is good. Loctite on the pinion gear also helps greatly.

-This is normal. Toe-out in the front and toe-in in the rear is what you want in an RC car. This greatly aids with handling and turning.

-Wheels should be tight. Make sure the wheel nuts are tightened- don't be gentle here, those nuts need some serious torque applied. Serrated edge of the nut goes in towards the wheel.

-Anything that needs checking or adjusting. Nobody can really tell you this, you just have to look at it yourself and determine if something is out of whack.

-Air compressor and rubbing alcohol.

-No. Lubrication attracts dirt and debris, causing premature wear and tear. Only sealed components should be lubricated like differentials.

- Send it til you bend it.

I'm probably gonna piss people off for this but my Kraton was the worst out the box experience of an RC I have ever had.
I don't know if it was assembled on a Friday on the last shift but there was so much slop in all the suspension I couldn't believe it.
Yeah I could have spent time and money shimming and fixing it but I was pretty disappointed and ended up going a different route and used it as reference to build my Custom stretched Kraton.
Then I sold it.

I stripped mine out of the box changed all diff fluids and shimmed if needed. shimmed wheel hexes put three clips under the servo saver vented my tires put some shoegoo under my esc put a 14t pinion on motor did some settings on the esc lowered the timing changed esc wires to one connection instead of having two connectors flying about think thats it

Welcome to the Ranch!

Firstly, read and familiarize yourself with the Owner's Manual of the rig.
And learn about Lipo battery charging and Safety. Very important.

You'll need to invest in a good hex driver set.

It's basically learn as you go.

Have fun and enjoy!
Thanks Tex. I am now fully up to date on Lipo rules.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back