Leaky shocks are bugging me now.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBell

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
Hi,

First real post here for me on the Arrma formums and I'm sure it's been mentioned before on numerous occasions......the dreaded leaking shocks on the Outcast 4s. All 4 of mine are pissing like a dirty old booze hound......and it's only been out for some light runs on grass (I'm no Kevin Talbot)

Question is....is there a solution or fix for the original shocks? I don't wanna throw any more money at it as I've already swapped out the radio gear, servo, x2 lower right front arms (think OEM arms are made of cheddar right?) and a full set of RPM arms.

I've heard people mention warranty. As I'm in the UK Arrma say I have to go through my LHS guy but he seems a bit dopey or uninterested.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best, Andy B.

The RPM arms are a permanent fix. One and done. ??

Now the shocks seem to be poorly made o-rings. I didn’t try the 4S shocks as I bought 6S shocks instead. I wanted the threaded bodies instead of the spacers for preload. If it were me, I would buy some o-ring kits and give that a go. Get some green slime too.

O-ring kit sounds like a plan.......green slime though....no idea what this is and how it would be used?!

Thanks.

Thanks, can get that in the UK, little more expensive over here but looks worth it.

Gonna go down the rebuild road I think, I like tinkering and it means I'm learning about my truck along the way.

Just one other question, what grade shock oil should I use?

Thanks.

RPM arms are great, have survived much longer than stock for me, but once they start to deform you absolutely must swap sides or boil them straight again. They will split right at the bend point otherwise. Or I just have terrible luck.

C8527604-BA2D-4897-87CE-C28775D2A388.jpeg

Shocks, just replace the 2 stock o-rings and spacer in the cartridge with 5-6 better o-rings, slime, and they won’t leak again.

Thanks for the info, feeling a little more confident with the rpm arms on.

Hopefully crack on with the shocks this weekend, any idea what size orings are needed?

Thanks for the info, feeling a little more confident with the rpm arms on.

Hopefully crack on with the shocks this weekend, any idea what size orings are needed?
I used this size and was able to fit 5 per cartridge. You can reference that size and find something local to you I’m sure. My shocks have been bone dry for months now, even after bending several thousand shock shafts.

uxcell O-Rings Nitrile Rubber 2.6mm Inner Diameter 7mm OD 2.2mm Width Round Seal Gasket 50 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2Y4956/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XFTxEbS6GV918

If push comes to shove I can get them from Amazon global, struggling to find any that size near me.....

THanks though......really good info.

Would any silicon-based grease be a good choice for the grease to use for this fix? ...or should I go with an o-ring specific product like one of these?

https://www.super-lube.com/o-ring-silicone-grease-93003
https://www.super-lube.com/super-lube-o-ring-silicone-lubricant

Out of these 2, I guess the grease could be the best option, but the lubricant has the exact same viscosity at room temperature, so I guess it may be very similar in performances for the application. The lubricant is about 1/2 the price of the grease on amazon.

Thanks!

I was going to go with the Castrol red rubber grease that I already have, same stuff I use on my brake caliper pins but my LHS had the green slime cheap so opted for that.

Attempted the fronts tonight, got one side done and when I did the other side the upper shock mount must have been cracked, when I started to unscrew it...it broke with barley any pressure.

I love this car and the way it performs but I seem to be breaking stuff every time I take it out. I'm no Kevin Talbot, I've only really 'sent' it once.

Hoping these RPM arms make a difference.

Got some 45 yesterday, done three of the shocks but the 4th broke. The top shock mount must have been cracked and it just broke as soon as I started to unscrew the shock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back