A Newcomer’s Tale: Brudy's $1300 Typhon 3S Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Truly the title is not a humblebrag (nor an exaggeration), it's more a fun, lighthearted yet cautionary start of a tale for newcomers like me. Word and image heavy post to follow. You've been warned. You can look up my post in the Member Intro section if you'd like to see how I got into the hobby. Bear in mind that things are inflated because I had zero RC gear to start with.

I went with the Typhon 3S fully expecting to run 2S because I'm a new RC driver. That didn't happen, and I jumped in feet first with 3S per my LHS' recommendation. Day one I had a ball with it bone stock.

01.jpg

The only place near my home to bash is all grass with a parking lot, so initial modifications were made off that terrain. The stock servo was weak on grass, I was struggling to turn. I wanted more stability and traction. I widened my stance with the Redcat Racing hub extensions and bought some Badlands Buggies. I swapped all bearings except the motor and diff bearings. I then installed a 20kg ANNIMOS servo and the HR Bellcranks since I was in there.

02.jpg

You have to drill these Redcat extensions out to fit the stock pin, otherwise it will not secure onto the axle. You also should shim it, because there's play versus the stock hubs. I used 0.5mm stainless shims from Amazon.

05.jpg

Bashing became an addiction. Then I had my first of many crashes. I nosedived, then cartwheeled, then ran into a tree in such a way that my front right shock shaft bent. Bought a replacement, fortified my buggy with TBone Basher front and rear bumpers.

07.jpg

I bashed to my heart's delight with this setup for a while, it was solid. Bought some Duratrax Triggers as beater bashing tires since my Badlands were wearing down. I swapped the near-empty shocks with 50K fluid, tried 60K diff fluid front/rear before settling on 32.5W front/15W rear. Then my shocks started leaking. Inherently I had no problem with the shocks outside of the leaks, so I searched for ideas on how to remedy it and found a bulletproof solution on Reddit:

Disassemble your 3S shocks. Open the bottom shock case. Remove the top o-ring, then remove the plastic spacer. The bottom o-ring might come out with the spacer. Insert a total of 5 o-rings (search 2.6mm x 7mm x 2.2mm on Amazon or your preferred vendor) into the case, Green Slime or Super Lube O-Ring Lubricant, and close it back up. Be generous with the lubing. Fill your shocks and reassemble, enjoy leak-free great performing stock 3S shocks.​
I've had zero issues after doing this mod, and I think the stock shocks perform great. Here's my son making sure.

09.jpg

All was well in my bashing world - until my next accident. The day I installed the HR adjustable motor mount and Robinson Racing 18T pinion, I hit a lightpole head on. It sucked. My battery's forward momentum broke the front brace off. I glued it back in after. My T-Bone front bumper also snapped, the hingepin brace broke (of course), and the front end of my chassis cracked. This was the start of what I think is a big problem with just the Typhon's TBone front bumper. Every other model has a cross support mounted on the diff cover's 2 front screw holes, while the Typhon's just acts like a lever whenever the bumper hits something. There was is a thread here discussing this in detail. Lots of superglue was had.

08.jpg

11.jpg

Weeks later, I found the solution thread and I purchased a replacement, well-designed brace from @Camaroboy383, and warrantied with TBone. In the meantime I was using the stock bumper. I also replaced the stock STX2 with a FlySky GT3B for a bit more customization and range. Bash bash bash.

Then, I tried a front flip off a jump at a new dirt spot a friend and I found, and the small damages and cracks I previously inflicted finally gave way.

12.jpg

You can see my gaffer tape there that I superglued across the previous crack.

13.jpg

If you look closely you'll see my driveshaft is broken.

14.jpg

To Jenny's I went. Sometime in the middle of the rebuild I noticed my wing was also broken in the crash, so I ordered a Kraton wing. I also moved my ESC to the tub because the caps on the battery leads were cracking my body.

16.jpg

19.jpg

All better, right? Wrong. Lol. Just my luck my motor bearings went out. Sounded like a banshee with all that screeching. I didn't realize the Jim's main kit didn't come with motor bearings, so I went to VXB which has a local office near me.

20.JPG
21.jpg

And now we're at today. I've been testing my rebuilt Typhon for 2 days and so far it's smooth sailing. I actually just hit this with some Banditos:

23.jpg

I don't think it's entirely accurate, but it's the only GPS I have and progress is progress. Lol.

Here's my parts list, which doesn't include the tools I needed to buy.

Annotation 2019-11-17 005828.png

Some parts I got deals on, some I overpaid, but I tried to support my LHS as much as I could.

I guess the moral of this post for newcomers is, you're going to break things, you're going to want a little bit more, and your upfront costs are just that - upfront. I am having so much damn fun that while the costs hurt a bit, I'm learning a lot and more importantly driving a lot. Wouldn't change a thing. I don't have any plans to further modify it as I'm super stoked with how it's set up - though maybe I will try 2.8's one day.

Elephant in the room, if I could do it all over again would I have gotten a Typhon 6S? Well, do you see the damage I inflict on 3S? I'm totally not ready. Haha.

Day 1 of owning my Typhon below. It feels like years ago. Thanks for reading.

24.jpg

Last edited:
Really great thread dude... all RC newcomers should read this before buying anything so that they know what they are getting into..

All I would suggest is that the 6S Typhon can be run on 4s and in that scenario, would have less performance than your 3s typhon on 3s... and therefore be a lot tougher and cheaper to run for RC newcomers... but can have full performance with a simple lipo purchase once their experience allows it... Just my 2 cents. :)

There are so many parts of this that are like looking into a mirror. I’ve had very similar experiences and costs. I also love my Typhon 3S as it has been my favorite so far. Keep up the fun ??

Truly the title is not a humblebrag (nor an exaggeration), it's more a fun, lighthearted yet cautionary start of a tale for newcomers like me. Word and image heavy post to follow. You've been warned. You can look up my post in the Member Intro section if you'd like to see how I got into the hobby. Bear in mind that things are inflated because I had zero RC gear to start with.

I went with the Typhon 3S fully expecting to run 2S because I'm a new RC driver. That didn't happen, and I jumped in feet first with 3S per my LHS' recommendation. Day one I had a ball with it bone stock.

View attachment 54078

The only place near my home to bash is all grass with a parking lot, so initial modifications were made off that terrain. The stock servo was weak on grass, I was struggling to turn. I wanted more stability and traction. I widened my stance with the Redcat Racing hub extensions and bought some Badlands Buggies. I swapped all bearings except the motor and diff bearings. I then installed a 20kg ANNIMOS servo and the HR Bellcranks since I was in there.

View attachment 54080

You have to drill these Redcat extensions out to fit the stock pin, otherwise it will not secure onto the axle. You also should shim it, because there's play versus the stock hubs. I used 0.5mm stainless shims from Amazon.

View attachment 54081

Bashing became an addiction. Then I had my first of many crashes. I nosedived, then cartwheeled, then ran into a tree in such a way that my front right shock shaft bent. Bought a replacement, fortified my buggy with TBone Basher front and rear bumpers.

View attachment 54082

I bashed to my heart's delight with this setup for a while, it was solid. Bought some Duratrax Triggers as beater bashing tires since my Badlands were wearing down. I swapped the near-empty shocks with 50K fluid, tried 60K diff fluid front/rear before settling on 32.5W front/15W rear. Then my shocks started leaking. Inherently I had no problem with the shocks outside of the leaks, so I searched for ideas on how to remedy it and found a bulletproof solution on Reddit:

Disassemble your 3S shocks. Open the bottom shock case. Remove the top o-ring, then remove the plastic spacer. The bottom o-ring might come out with the spacer. Insert a total of 5 o-rings (search 2.6mm x 7mm x 2.2mm on Amazon or your preferred vendor) into the case, Green Slime or Super Lube O-Ring Lubricant, and close it back up. Be generous with the lubing. Fill your shocks and reassemble, enjoy leak-free great performing stock 3S shocks.​
I've had zero issues after doing this mod, and I think the stock shocks perform great. Here's my son making sure.

View attachment 54083

All was well in my bashing world - until my next accident. The day I installed the HR adjustable motor mount and Robinson Racing 18T pinion, I hit a lightpole head on. It sucked. My battery's forward momentum broke the front brace off. I glued it back in after. My T-Bone front bumper also snapped, the hingepin brace broke (of course), and the front end of my chassis cracked. This was the start of what I think is a big problem with just the Typhon's TBone front bumper. Every other model has a cross support mounted on the diff cover's 2 front screw holes, while the Typhon's just acts like a lever whenever the bumper hits something. There was is a thread here discussing this in detail. Lots of superglue was had.

View attachment 54084
View attachment 54085

Weeks later, I found the solution thread and I purchased a replacement, well-designed brace from @Camaroboy383, and warrantied with TBone. In the meantime I was using the stock bumper. I also replaced the stock STX2 with a FlySky GT3B for a bit more customization and range. Bash bash bash.

Then, I tried a front flip off a jump at a new dirt spot a friend and I found, and the small damages and cracks I previously inflicted finally gave way.

View attachment 54086

You can see my gaffer tape there that I superglued across the previous crack.

View attachment 54087

If you look closely you'll see my driveshaft is broken.

View attachment 54088
To Jenny's I went. Sometime in the middle of the rebuild I noticed my wing was also broken in the crash, so I ordered a Kraton wing. I also moved my ESC to the tub because the caps on the battery leads were cracking my body.

View attachment 54089
View attachment 54091

All better, right? Wrong. Lol. Just my luck my motor bearings went out. Sounded like a banshee with all that screeching. I didn't realize the Jim's main kit didn't come with motor bearings, so I went to VXB which has a local office near me.

View attachment 54092View attachment 54093

And now we're at today. I've been testing my rebuilt Typhon for 2 days and so far it's smooth sailing. I actually just hit this with some Banditos:

View attachment 54094

I don't think it's entirely accurate, but it's the only GPS I have and progress is progress. Lol.

Here's my parts list, which doesn't include the tools I needed to buy.

View attachment 54095

Some parts I got deals on, some I overpaid, but I tried to support my LHS as much as I could.

I guess the moral of this post for newcomers is, you're going to break things, you're going to want a little bit more, and your upfront costs are just that - upfront. I am having so much damn fun that while the costs hurt a bit, I'm learning a lot and more importantly driving a lot. Wouldn't change a thing. I don't have any plans to further modify it as I'm super stoked with how it's set up - though maybe I will try 2.8's one day.

Elephant in the room, if I could do it all over again would I have gotten a Typhon 6S? Well, do you see the damage I inflict on 3S? I'm totally not ready. Haha.

Day 1 of owning my Typhon below. It feels like years ago. Thanks for reading.

View attachment 54096
That was well said and beautifully detailed. I think you should add "A newcomer's tale" to your thread title, so other newbs can understand just how expensive this hobby can be. It's the same story for anyone who first gets into or back into this hobby, not understanding the power of brushless motors and lipo batteries. Many hobby store owners and employees will push inexperienced shoppers into buying these incredibly fast and hard to tame beasts. My first foray back into the hobby in 2017, cost me a number I don't want to admit. I'm not doing much better since I jumped to Arrma, but I did learn lessons, and now make better choices. Hope all newcomers can get a chance to read your story, and learn to choose wisely. Bash on brother!???

That was well said and beautifully detailed. I think you should add "A newcomer's tale" to your thread title, so other newbs can understand just how expensive this hobby can be. It's the same story for anyone who first gets into or back into this hobby, not understanding the power of brushless motors and lipo batteries. Many hobby store owners and employees will push inexperienced shoppers into buying these incredibly fast and hard to tame beasts. My first foray back into the hobby in 2017, cost me a number I don't want to admit. I'm not doing much better since I jumped to Arrma, but I did learn lessons, and now make better choices. Hope all newcomers can get a chance to read your story, and learn to choose wisely. Bash on brother!???
That’s a great idea modifying the title, but I can’t because the threads merged after I added a second post because of the 10 image limit. Boo.

I’m relatively new here so if you have a tip on how to do it I will add it.

Huge thanks to all for reading this massive post.

Nice thread. Body seems to be holding up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Great looking buggy you have there. Glad you stuck with it, don’t think about the money too much. The hobby is a great diversion from life’s day to day problems.

To edit the title go to the first posts upper right corner and click the ...v bottom and you will have an edit option where the title can be changed.

What's your opinion on the HTRC C240 charger?
It’s amazing. More features than I ever plan to use, and it is very accurate. I have two mild complaints about it - you have to watch a couple YouTube videos to learn how to use it because the user manual is offensively bad, and the fan is quite loud when you charge anything over 2A. Honestly though those are nitpicks because it’s a great charger. I’d buy another and recommend it to anyone. It was a huge upgrade from my Prophet Mini and gives me peace of mind because I can monitor pretty much anything about my batteries.

You could probably find it much cheaper than I paid from that auction site.
Nice thread. Body seems to be holding up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Great looking buggy you have there. Glad you stuck with it, don’t think about the money too much. The hobby is a great diversion from life’s day to day problems.

To edit the title go to the first posts upper right corner and click the ...v bottom and you will have an edit option where the title can be changed.
Thanks! That worked! You’re awesome.

@Notorious J, quoted you verbatim. ??

I didn’t enjoy my Trenchers. The MX28s are awesome tho ??
I was looking at them, but frankly I went with the non-belted Trenchers because I didn’t want to gear down. It’s my understanding between them, the MX28’s, and the belted they are the lightest. Correct me if I’m wrong. I ran 3 packs today and nary a thermal shutdown, temps were pretty good at around an 80F ambient. In grass. Haha.

How did you like the Buggy MX Badlands?
They are phenomenal. Tons of grip and they work on pretty much all surfaces well-to-amazing. However they wear extremely fast on asphalt or cement - mine are used sparingly (mostly on grass) in parking lots and they are decently worn down already. If you have more discipline than me and stay off asphalt they’ll last a long time I’m sure. But yes, they are so grippy and bash well for a buggy sized tire.

So I’m looking at the pictures I just updated this post with - the Trencher’s offset is quite a bit more than the Badlands. I took off the Redcat extension hubs and they still fit totally fine on the stock hubs, not rubbing or close to anything, no clearance issues.

Considering the increased size and weight of these MT tires over buggy tires, I think I’m going to run them without the extensions to reduce stress on everything.

So does that mean for the Typhon 3S, all the 17mm hexed 2.8’s fit without extending anything?

So I’m looking at the pictures I just updated this post with - the Trencher’s offset is quite a bit more than the Badlands. I took off the Redcat extension hubs and they still fit totally fine on the stock hubs, not rubbing or close to anything, no clearance issues.

Considering the increased size and weight of these MT tires over buggy tires, I think I’m going to run them without the extensions to reduce stress on everything.

So does that mean for the Typhon 3S, all the 17mm hexed 2.8’s fit without extending anything?
My Badlands MX28s without the hex extenders would tag the wing at full compression of the suspension.

I haven't delved into new tires for my 3s yet, but different wheels have different offsets, depending on vehicle application. When turning and jumping, there could be issues with tires contacting the body/chassis. Not so much on a buggy, but it's definitely something that has to considered. Also, and I think you already noted this, bigger tires create more stress on the motor and esc, so temps will definitely become a factor. The 3s line also uses plastic dirveshafts and yolks, which will also wear faster with the added weight on the four corners.

My Badlands MX28s without the hex extenders would tag the wing at full compression of the suspension.
I’ve never had a set of 2.8 tires rub anywhere on my Typhon 3S. Heck I’ve even ran 3.8 Road Rage tires and they didn’t rub either.

6FFDAD52-B726-4929-A51C-E7CEB9BA6699.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back