Leopard Hobby 4282 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about changing to a smaller pinion gear to help it run cooler? No heatsink or fan for the motor?
Here's the thing, with the gearing I have it should run cool as a cucumber. 1680kv on a 18t pinion isn't overgeared or anywhere near it for that matter. My BLX185 on a 16t pinion didn't even come close to running that hot.

Here's the thing, with the gearing I have it should run cool as a cucumber. 1680kv on a 18t pinion isn't overgeared or anywhere near it for that matter.
Yes surprised it's that hot cause I've seen that motor with a 20T blasting hard on Ytube and temps not even close to that... Something binding?

Yes surprised it's that hot cause I've seen that motor with a 20T blasting hard on Ytube and temps not even close to that... Something binding?
Negative, drivetrain is all fresh and new, including the bearings and rolls smooth as butter.

Short story long my motor blew and took out both front and rear diffs, so I tore it all down and rebuilt the entire thing from the ground up the only things left stock on this thing are the esc tray, battery tray , side guards and the front dirt guards.

I found that all motors get hot (especially in the summer)
I had a 5670 monster TP Power motor and despite its size it got hot too...

My Leopards always ran pretty cool, might be worth trying?

-Liberty

I found that all motors get hot (especially in the summer)
I had a 5670 monster TP Power motor and despite its size it got hot too...

My Leopards always ran pretty cool, might be worth trying?

-Liberty
I've never had a motor get that hot and especially not after 10 minutes of running. Hottest I've seen before this was my Outcast with the stock motor/esc with a 16t pinion and that was like 180 ish. Outside temp yesterday was about 75* track was in the shade.

My Leopard Hobby sensored brushless motor in my LC Racing EMB-T runs cool as all hell, yesterday the hottest temp I recorded on it after about 20 minutes was 134*. My RC10B2 with the Velineon 3500kv motor was around 115* after min. My D8T with the Max8 BLX185 combo with a 50t spur and 18t pinion was around 120*.

What's worth trying?

Last edited:
My bad I miss-read which motor you were having issues with. I thought it was one of those cheap hobby star motors.
They are sold by the same dude......

And I can't log in on RcJuice again. The guy keeps "accidentally" banning me from the website................

And I can't log in on RcJuice again. The guy keeps "accidentally" banning me from the website................
Bummer man. I was gonna say, 237 after a run is automatically defective motor to start with, a pinion coming off doesn't heat stuff up at all. I would consider trying to find a good genuine castle 1518 (not the eBay counterfeits, you won't get far with them) and it should last a good 5 years. They've been discontinued for a very long time, NU it's possible to find one. If you don't feel like searching, Steven neu (aka castle creations motor designer from their sensorless age) has a company called Poseidon RC. Those motors are just as crazy good as the old school castle motors. Highly recommend one of their motors... I'll send a link to one. I'll add, I suspect a Poseidon 1515 series will run cooler than a China 4082 like a leopard, and being American based it obviously has a killer warrenty. IMO their suitable bashing motors are the 1515 and 1521, any longer and you're too long.

Bummer man. I was gonna say, 237 after a run is automatically defective motor to start with, a pinion coming off doesn't heat stuff up at all. I would consider trying to find a good genuine castle 1518 (not the eBay counterfeits, you won't get far with them) and it should last a good 5 years. They've been discontinued for a very long time, NU it's possible to find one. If you don't feel like searching, Steven neu (aka castle creations motor designer from their sensorless age) has a company called Poseidon RC. Those motors are just as crazy good as the old school castle motors. Highly recommend one of their motors... I'll send a link to one.
I thought he was building under Cordova?

I thought he was building under Cordova?
I don't think so, but you could be right. If so, I can't believe he left Poseidon, he was with them for a good amount of time.
Here's a quick search I did.. obviously times could have changed, but he did make their motors at one point, but I'm pretty sure he's still making them: https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/...5-_PV22_with_vents_Designed_by_Steve_Neu.html

Also as an update to slick I just realized there's no link to send, you direct email them for purchasing.

Bummer man. I was gonna say, 237 after a run is automatically defective motor to start with, a pinion coming off doesn't heat stuff up at all. I would consider trying to find a good genuine castle 1518 (not the eBay counterfeits, you won't get far with them) and it should last a good 5 years. They've been discontinued for a very long time, NU it's possible to find one. If you don't feel like searching, Steven neu (aka castle creations motor designer from their sensorless age) has a company called Poseidon RC. Those motors are just as crazy good as the old school castle motors. Highly recommend one of their motors... I'll send a link to one. I'll add, I suspect a Poseidon 1515 series will run cooler than a China 4082 like a leopard, and being American based it obviously has a killer warrenty. IMO their suitable bashing motors are the 1515 and 1521, any longer and you're too long.
What about the 1717? Like this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XO...sh=item3fc57ed684:g:ta0AAOSwiZtdCqX6&LH_BIN=1

I don't think so, but you could be right. If so, I can't believe he left Poseidon, he was with them for a good amount of time.
Here's a quick search I did.. obviously times could have changed, but he did make their motors at one point, but I'm pretty sure he's still making them: https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/...5-_PV22_with_vents_Designed_by_Steve_Neu.html

Also as an update to slick I just realized there's no link to send, you direct email them for purchasing.
Ok, my bad. Jose' Cordova (who worked alongside Steve Neu) builds under the Cordova Research name.

What about the 1717?
Like for example, a 1527, I bet it’ll make crazy power, but that’s a TON of weight. In theory, a well built 1515 motor can propel a 15 pound and under vehicle with ~50mph gearing for about 30 minutes of continuous driving without breaking 180.

All I know is I need to find a reliable motor for this thing.

Hi I think that if the rc vehicle is free to move without any problem of seized bearings or axles or some wheels rubbing to the chassis or body I would check the motor alone for any particular noise coming out of it and if you are going to keep it I would open it and check if there is something touching like the rotor with the stator or something wrong with the bearings, in that type of motor the rotor should be covered with kevlar to withstand max revs, I was thinking to replace mine with one of them because when I used the original BLX 2000KV from my Arrma Big Rock on 6s it seized up and I opened it and found out that the bearing was broken and the rotor was badly damaged and although its under warranty they did not gave me a new one.
Something else that you should check is the clearance between the pinion and the bevel gear because the temperature readings are too high if the meter is good. You also can check if the clutch is slipping because it will generate a lot of heat on the gears, if the rc vehicle was with 17th pinion standard you could try 18 or 19 if everything was normal and temperatures should stay in the range of 60 to 70 Celsius.

Attachments

• 20190816_132644.jpg
    20190816_132644.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190816_132406.jpg
    20190816_132406.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
My Talion has a China brand 6S motor w 3M bolts, just use washers and good threadlocker. Have bashed it hard, broken diff cases, bent shock towers, and motor stays in place.

I have only used Leopard motors on rc electric planes, have not had issues w them. RCjuice is, IMO, a good store.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back