Life changing decision (connectors)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Hey guys. Basically, I bought 4 3s 5200mah lipo's for my Outcast and I'm stuck. Basically, They are ESC and my Firma 150a is XT-90. I have 1 other ESC and its also XT 90. I have 2 more 3s lipo's and they are also XT-90. I think I am going to dedicate my XT-90 lipos to my XT90 esc and change my Firma back to the IC5's I cut off. Also instead of using XT-90's, it would make more sense to use EC/IC5's because I ain't ever going to buy a t-word. Horizon products only. Good Idea?

Does the xt90 spark and leave burn marks on connectors? If so I’d get qs8 them bad boys are true anti spark

Since you on 3s it might not but I was on 6s xt90 xt60 all sparked. Now I’m 8s with qs8
No. I plug positive in first then negative so no spark. Also QS8 are too big. Im a basher and a 3s platform speedrunner. I think once I speed run the 6s cars I have QS8 specific batteries and ESC's

Perhaps I'm biased, but I think your batteries are perfect just the way they are, EC5 connectors and all.;)

Plan sounds fine, and it will save you some work having to change only one ESC connector to IC5/EC5 rather than four battery connectors to XT90.

There is no right answer to this. Go with what works for you.

Personally, I stuck with IC5/EC5 connectors for my bashers (for similar reasons of having mostly Horizon products) and XT60 for my crawlers. Wasn't worth try to stay in the IC/EC line for those and most smaller packs come with XT60's.

My crawlers are XT60, and my bashers are EC5, except for the new Rustler VXL 2WD I bought recently. I don't want to change the Rustler ESC to EC5 because I have several Traxxas batteries I can use with the Rustler and another Traxxas 4-TEC road car I own.

I really like the solderability of the XT90. I wish Horizon had used them.

If the XT90 are not giving you any issues, stick with it.
I converted everything to EC5 at one point, just due to the majority of new stuff came with EC/IC5.
EC5 are easy to solder but a pain to insert the pins/barrels. IC5 are expensive, and the plastic melts quickly when soldering. Also, those silly grey caps on the IC5 broke quickly.
I have now converted everything to QS8, again main reason to stay compatible, and I don't like using adapters etc.
If nothing drives you to change, don't do it.
For myself;f, I had frequent wires de-soldering themselves on XT90, that got better on EC5 and is no longer an issue on QS8.
On all connectors, if you land wrong, they will disconnect on a hard landing unless you lay them sideways. Just don't land in that direction 🤪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back