DX5 Pro LiPo or LiFe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
So I’ve been using a DX5 pro and a DX5C for all my rigs for quite some time now, and I’ve been running those Arrma AA batteries in them, but that’s getting super expensive (at least they throw in a free new rig when you buy them). I’ve been thinking about going to a LiPo or LiFe pack. I just have some questions.

Which is better, LiPo or LiFe?
Any particular brand or battery you’ve had good luck with?
Any downsides?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what option would work in a Spektrum radio but these have been great for me. I use a Futaba 7PXR. I have 2 and I rotate them back and forth for over 2 years now with no issues. They charge up pretty quick and the charge stays strong for a while. Not sure if they make an option for the Spektrum radios but if LiFe is an option I'd say look into using this brand. They're easy to maintain as well.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...er-battery-pack-6.6v-2100mah-ptk-5188/p165091

I don't know what option would work in a Spektrum radio but these have been great for me. I use a Futaba 7PXR. I have 2 and I rotate them back and forth for over 2 years now with no issues. They charge up pretty quick and the charge stays strong for a while. Not sure if they make an option for the Spektrum radios but if LiFe is an option I'd say look into using this brand. They're easy to maintain as well.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...er-battery-pack-6.6v-2100mah-ptk-5188/p165091
Thanks! I may pick up a couple of those and try it.

You don’t want lipo unless unless you want to monitor and balance (dis)charge your Tx lipo after every run.
LiFe is ‘worry free’. Have you considered rechargeable AA?
I have a Duracell CEF15; super fast recharging and the additional 2500mah AA last a long time before they need recharging.

You don’t want lipo unless unless you want to monitor and balance (dis)charge your Tx lipo after every run.
LiFe is ‘worry free’. Have you considered rechargeable AA?
I have a Duracell CEF15; super fast recharging and the additional 2500mah AA last a long time before they need recharging.
LiFe is the direction I’ve been leaning. I don’t mind battery maintenance, I’m meticulous with my rig batteries, I’d just add those to the routine. But it’d be real nice to just charge it when I need to.
I highly recommend these batteries. They are lithium ion, and are the only rechargeable AAs I've seen that deliver 1.5V/battery. Most rechargeable AAs are 1.2V/battery.

I've had a set in my DX5 for a year now and they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RZ5NDMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those look really cool! Also a viable option for sure.

I highly recommend these batteries. They are lithium ion, and are the only rechargeable AAs I've seen that deliver 1.5V/battery. Most rechargeable AAs are 1.2V/battery.

I've had a set in my DX5 for a year now and they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RZ5NDMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any Radio Lipo technically should be treated like any Mains Lipo, Stored at 3.8v/cell etc. So using them in a radio is not correct. But I do anyway. I only top them off before going out to bash. They last quite long however.
I also have the LiOn AA's above for my DX5C. Radio shows 6v always when full charged. Just that when the battieres drop below 6v and are dead, internally they shut off. And you get no advance warning, The radio Battery alarm goes off without any voltage warning below 6.v . What I noticed. But I alway keep a spare set charged on the side when out bashing.
LiOns can be stored Full charged unlike Lipos, FWIW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back