Kraton lipo to nimh 6s blx spectrum motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodk

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
hello forum .. I'm having trouble switching to nimh. I'm familiar with the process but it won't beep twice indicating it switched. just beeps once.. is there something I'm missing . maybe I need to use a nimh to do the switch? I dunno.
thanks in advance..

If you do that, plan on each cell in that NiMh pack to burst. That motor will pull the amp crap outa that pack, I wouldn't be surprised if after only 1 throttle stab your ESC goes into LVC. I wouldn't do that at all with that system. That OR set the throttle back to only about 40% of power. Even then you will heat those packs up quickly.

Run 6s ESC on Nims?......NO.(n)
And what exactly would be a great reason to do that anyway? What prompts your belief in doing so?
I am truly curious.:rolleyes:
That Firma 150 ESC is F/W locked to "Lipo" ONLY. And for a reason.

jkflow thanks.. I'm not sure if the other people understood my question. one person said" it's locked for a reason" but never gave the reason .another said" the nimh will burst..." I assume it's implying if a nimh was used in lipo mode? I dunno but I'm just now wondering why is it even an option.. ?
my reason for the initial question is that i removed a bad cell from my 6s battery and someone mentioned u can turn off the lvc and use a 5s . all these questions are curiosity driven.. I'm just looking for knowledge is all.
thanks to everybody...

Can't give you all the reason, but this setup is not meant to run on NiMh, that is ancient technology. ESC's were build to support the old dinosaur batteries as well and are therefore somewhat backwards compatible for that reason. Picture a less capable model but using this ESC.

NimH have maybe a 5V C-rating on a good day. What will happen, you will literally short circuit your batteries and they might just overheat and break for that reason.
You could rig a capable Nimh solution by placing sufficient cells in parallel for the C rating _~30C minimum) and enough in series. You would need 6 in parallel and ~ 18 in series or ~ 108 NimH cells to do what this car will be asking for, simply not realistic.

Will it run with less? Yes, but very badly, and your cells will die quickly. It's like placing a lawn mower engine into a Semi and trying to go uphill.

lol great analogy.. so it is false that I can switch to nimh, even tho it is listed as an option, and run a 5s lipo .? and....the esc only recognizes 4s and 6s therefor when using a 5s it thinks one cell is below normal use voltage and it will shutoff.?
Run 6s ESC on Nims?......NO.(n)
And what exactly would be a great reason to do that anyway? What prompts your belief in doing so?
I am truly curious.:rolleyes:
That Firma 150 ESC is F/W locked to "Lipo" ONLY. And for a reason.
hello .. I think I may have confused the question.. the real question is that I have a 5s battery now because one of my cells died and I removed it.. it charges perfectly.. I read somewhere that it won't recognize 5s and a way around it is to avoid the lvc by switching to nimh..so I I tried and it will not switch even tho the manual has it as an option in the esc settings.. I am just trying to get some info and learn if this is even possible and why can't the setting be switched...
no intentions of running NimH at all . just inquiring and comparing info. I will look up fw lock and see but if u have any other info I would appreciate that.. thanks ...

Last edited:
What ESC do you actually have? BLX or Firma150?

Firm150, doesn't have a Nimh mode, never had it and never will.
BLX does have Nimh mode.

Firma doesn't have an autodetect, 5S should work just fine.

yes I have blx esc.. sorry I should have been more descriptive in my thread.
so any idea on why it won't switch to nimh. ?

Don't think it has a 'NiMh' setting but haven't seen a manual lately, I believe beloow is accurate.
Per below, you would need to turn option 4 to 2. Minimum of 12V needed to make it work but with 5S that's not an issue.
You won't hear beeps any longer once that mode is on.

Clipboard01.jpg

lol great analogy.. so it is false that I can switch to nimh, even tho it is listed as an option, and run a 5s lipo .? and....the esc only recognizes 4s and 6s therefor when using a 5s it thinks one cell is below normal use voltage and it will shutoff.?

hello .. I think I may have confused the question.. the real question is that I have a 5s battery now because one of my cells died and I removed it.. it charges perfectly.. I read somewhere that it won't recognize 5s and a way around it is to avoid the lvc by switching to nimh..so I I tried and it will not switch even tho the manual has it as an option in the esc settings.. I am just trying to get some info and learn if this is even possible and why can't the setting be switched...
no intentions of running NimH at all . just inquiring and comparing info. I will look up fw lock and see but if u have any other info I would appreciate that.. thanks ...
Can you point to where you saw this documentation that states Nims are usable?
If you see where I do, in the Firma Manual on page 2 of the Programming Chart, stating 9-18 cells Nims, disregard that. It's a typo. You will be dragging a dead horse if you try.:giggle: Spektrum manuals are known to have many typos and misinformation years past. From incorrect Programming charts to wrong specs. Takes them years to update their documnentation correctly if they even bother. Like here.
Call HH and see what they say. They will tell you the same thing I did. No Nims. Guaranteed.
Nims are not a thing in RC, especially with 150 amp ESC's and respective BLX motors.

Last edited:
Can you point to where you saw this documentation that states Nims are usable?
If you see where I do, in the Firma Manual on page 2 of the Programming Chart, stating 9-18 cells Nims, disregard that. It's a typo. You will be dragging a dead horse if you try.:giggle: Spektrum manuals are known to have many typos and misinformation years past. From incorrect Programming charts to wrong specs. Takes them years to update their documnentation correctly if they even bother. Like here.
Call HH and see what they say. They will tell you the same thing I did. No Nims. Guaranteed.
Nims are not a thing in RC, especially with 150 amp ESC's and respective BLX motors.
I cannot give you that info because I never seen it or read it .. I read that a 5s battery needs to run on the nimh setting because the esc will not recognize it .. therefore set the esc to nimh and use a voltage alarm .. that's why I was inquiring about the setting. I cannot get it to set to nimh on the esc.. I am not running nimh battery nor do I intend to. I may have worded my post incorrectly .. sorry if so... and thxs for all the info .. I had no idea that they write typos and misinformation.. I will call ..hh that's a great idea.. thanks alot

Keep in mind that there is no real 'NiMh setting, ESCs are not intelligent. They only care about the cut-off setting, and they base that on actually voltage being connected plus match.
There is no ESC that has a 'cell detection' they only calculate and 'a$$-u-me' the cell voltage to be equivalent based on detected setting (4S or 6S)
The Nimh mode is equivalent to turning off the voltage detection.
Some older ESC had this as a marketing gimmick or for the uneducated user as a 'setting'. In my chart above, edit in 'NiMh' where it says 'No cut-off'

I cannot give you that info because I never seen it or read it .. I read that a 5s battery needs to run on the nimh setting because the esc will not recognize it .. therefore set the esc to nimh and use a voltage alarm .. that's why I was inquiring about the setting. I cannot get it to set to nimh on the esc.. I am not running nimh battery nor do I intend to. I may have worded my post incorrectly .. sorry if so... and thxs for all the info .. I had no idea that they write typos and misinformation.. I will call ..hh that's a great idea.. thanks alot
5s packs are an oddity. Rare and not used. Why most RTR ESC's cannot run them. Just is what it is. I wish 5s packs were a thing to be honest. More flexibility. And some rigs would benefit.
Nim setting is Locked out in the F/W parameter.. For a reason. Because Nims are not a thing. Having a Nim setting would be a work around. Yes. With a Lipo alarm for sure. Just it's not there anymore with the current Firma 150 ESC's.
FWIW, I have several types of Lipo alarms and they all read each Cell differently. Not that accurate IMHO.
But they can serve the purpose if you get a good one.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back