Kraton Is the 6S BLX motor/esc combo worth keeping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am starting my tear down on the used Kraton 6S BLX V4 that I picked up in December. There is some surface rust on the cvd’s and some screws. Nothing serious, I assume the truck was kept in a damp garage or basement. While I have the truck apart, I was wondering if the BLX motor/ESC combo are worth putting back in, or should I just go ahead and upgrade to the spectrum combo? That way I can use the smart tech with my spektrum radio. Is anyone sure who made the BLX combo for Arrma? To me it looks like maybe a Hobbywing?

Tom

The old and the new are both made by hobbywing. I doubt you’d notice a lick of difference in performance.

The only reason to upgrade, IMO, is if you plan on buying a bigger motor and ESC.
Yeah,

Definitely not looking to go bigger. I’m already invested heavily in the SMART ecosystem, so that’s all I’d be looking for is to get access to the telemetry info. I saw a few listings for The new Spektrum Black edition combos for sale for 134 shipped and thought that wasn’t a bad deal.

Yeah,

Definitely not looking to go bigger. I’m already invested heavily in the SMART ecosystem, so that’s all I’d be looking for is to get access to the telemetry info. I saw a few listings for The new Spektrum Black edition combos for sale for 134 shipped and thought that wasn’t a bad deal.
The telemetry stuff is definitely cool. If you decide to go that route, you really only need a new ESC. Buying a new motor isn’t necessary. It’s likely the exact same motor under the skin and the motor doesn’t factor into telemetry info.

I have a new Firma Smart 130A ESC I would sell for $40, shipping via Priority Mial included. It was a pull from a new vehicle, and it has a single IC5 connector. I got it in a package deal with a motor: it was cheaper to buy the combo than the motor alone, and I only used the motor. PM me if you want it.

I have a new Firma Smart 130A ESC I would sell for $40, shipping via Priority Mial included. It was a pull from a new vehicle, and it has a single IC5 connector. I got it in a package deal with a motor: it was cheaper to buy the combo than the motor alone, and I only used the motor. PM me if you want it.
That Firma 130 is solid but might be a little too small for a Kraton 6S.

The old and the new are both made by hobbywing. I doubt you’d notice a lick of difference in performance.

The only reason to upgrade, IMO, is if you plan on buying a bigger motor and ESC.
+1
Still running my stock v4 electrics in my V4 K6. Been flawless. Much mileage on it. I would use what you have until it fails.
The servo however, if it is still the stocker one, toss that. An AMZ DS3235 35 kg servo will fit the bill. Shim the Servo Saver a bit firmer while you are at it. Replace the 4 brass Steering Bushings with BB's. The new Firma 150 v2, is not considered any performance upgrade over the OG BLX185 ESC, both having same 150 Amps ratings. IMHO. And all that Smart stuff ECO thing, is just fluff. I wouldn't let that Feature alone sway me into buying into Spektrum.. A HW ESC alone while keeping the OG BLX motor if still in good shape, makes better sense to me. A HW setup would def. be a performance upgrade making more sense. The choice is always yours, but since you asked.......
>>>A good idea to open up the motor to examine, clean and lube the BB's with oil, or maybe swap out the BB's. while you are there. Motor will run like new again.
Enjoy.:cool:

Last edited:
I would use that system in that rig. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back