Looking to get back into the nitro scene. Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
I can't seem to get rid of the nitro bug. As much as I enjoy electric RC, I miss the smell of nitro. The sound. And yes, even the mess of it all.

I've owned the T-Maxx 3.3... Revo 3.3... Savage 4.6.. Ofna Twin .25 Dominator,,, MT2 .18SS... Rush. Sold it all awhile back (maybe 12+ years ago). I still own a heavily modded Nitro TC3 with the TRX 3.3, but she's a shelf queen. Anyhow, all this to say that I'm no stranger to nitro.

What am I looking for? Hmmmm:

- Monster/stadium truck kind of lay-out.
- I don't really have a set budget. Let 'er rip fellas.
- 1/10th or 1/8th scale.
- Single speed preferrable but open to more.
- Most be modifiable with aftermarket parts readily available.
- Open to engine displacement, but I'm fond of them big blocks.

Let me know what y'all run, recommend, or which model(s) to stay away from.

Thanks.

Get one of those old Cox tether line airplanes. Take video!
But seriously, I have zero experience here. Please update as you progress through this journey.

What type of terrain will you be running it on?

1692493924777.png

Oh boy! I'm with you about the love for nitro. My first one was the savage x 4.1, still have it but converted to electric way before the flux came out ,then to xl.... got all kinds of nitro models. Savage x ss that I ran so long I just got bored of the .28 and put in an lrp .32! You want one of these, they are like comparing brushed motors with nimh batteries to brushless with lipos. Just insane the power and they are cheap as well! Put an lrp .30 in my hot bodies d8t, and in my ofna on road car. Also hpi rs4 18ss plus .18, losi ten t and ten sct nitro, losi lmt 2 with lrp. 30, also just got the hpi vorza nitro and am chaffing at the bit for a savage xl nitro, big plans to get lrp engine for those two as well. Oh and I have two kyosho blizzard with .11 and the mad crusher .25.
You got it right when you say nitro is something special, the smells, the challenges and rewards of getting it just right. Oh sure electric is easy and faster....but not more fun! I have alot electrics also, but I'll never stop loving nitro!

I've had many over the years and love them. Still have my Savage SS and RS4 with a OS .18.

There are some off brands out there that look interesting. But, the parts availability would worry me. Redcat has some and they've gotten more mainstream. I know you said no buggies but, what about a truggy? You said loose dirt and asphalt. Would fit the bill.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...v2hIM-nxREYPUtxWIsoUjhoPNGq9dFrdLWI5dk15Oruag

You mentioned monster truck. This is one I'd like to have.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...-1-8-readyset-monster-truck-kyo33155/p1306960

A 1/8 buggy or truggy will be very durable and amaze you with jumps and handling. They were bread for racing but you can bash them relentlessly only stopping to refill the tank and go again, while your buddies with electrics can only watch while they wait for motors and esc's to cool down and recharge batteries. Kyosho is a good pick, I have one, the savage will run circles around it and out jump it all day long. I've run my savage head on into ciment stairs by accident...it just bounced off and kept going! The kyosho much different looking with the solid axles...but don't even think about surviving what a savage will. In my early days I ran head on into my body with his stampede...the stampede disintegrated and my buddy didn't want to run at the same time when I used my savage...oh same thing happened with another friend and a losi xxl. Here's a tip, don't go back and forth in the same spot as your buddy...unless you both have savages. Lol
Flat ground? Thinking a Hobao.
Hobao is good! That's what ofna used to sell, I also have the ofna lx2 nitro, a friend had the hyper st. They are built on the buggy truggy platform. Very solid bashers

Hobao is good! That's what ofna used to sell, I also have the ofna lx2 nitro, a friend had the hyper st. They are built on the buggy truggy platform. Very solid bashers

Yeah forgot about them. Only owned Ofna rigs before they were sued into oblivion.

Oh is that what happened to them, was sad to see them go, they were cheap and tough! At least hobao came back, I'm sure they are good, some of their first models had the same name as the ofna models, like hyper. Another fantastic nitro engine was picco, still exist, but ofna used to have them, then got harder to get

I've had many over the years and love them. Still have my Savage SS and RS4 with a OS .18.

There are some off brands out there that look interesting. But, the parts availability would worry me. Redcat has some and they've gotten more mainstream. I know you said no buggies but, what about a truggy? You said loose dirt and asphalt. Would fit the bill.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...v2hIM-nxREYPUtxWIsoUjhoPNGq9dFrdLWI5dk15Oruag

You mentioned monster truck. This is one I'd like to have.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...-1-8-readyset-monster-truck-kyo33155/p1306960
Ya… I’ve been researching the Kyosho USA-1. It’s in the top 3.

Thanks.

Oh is that what happened to them, was sad to see them go, they were cheap and tough! At least hobao came back, I'm sure they are good, some of their first models had the same name as the ofna models, like hyper. Another fantastic nitro engine was picco, still exist, but ofna used to have them, then got harder to get

Yeah, our least favorite company sued them over some infringement, hence their demise. Loved their buggies. DIdn't have the greatest of luck with their Pirate 10. When you put a Picco .21 in a 1/10th scale truck, you're bound to tear stuff up. Fun while it lasted. Lol.

Back in the day, Picco engines were great. And usually spendy. Not sure what the quality is today.

Last edited:
Yeah, our least favorite company sued them over some infringement, hence their demise. Loved their buggies. DIdn't have the greatest of luck with their Pirate 10. When you put a Picco .21 in a 1/10th scale truck, you're bound to tear stuff up. Fun while it lasted. Lol.

Back in the day, Picco engines were great. And usually spendy. Not sure what the quality is today.
I owned that Pirate 10 the Hyper 21 8 port then went with an Infinity .30 motor and that's went she started spitting out dogbones and tires would grow to 3X their size at WOT. Fun at first but that got old real fast.

As I stated before, I'm looking into the Kyosho USA-1 V2. Second on the list is a Hobao Hyper, but there are many to choose from Anyone here own a Hyper variant?

Yeah forgot about them. Only owned Ofna rigs before they were sued into oblivion.
I don't remember Ofna getting sued. I remember the guy running Ofna just up and closing the doors though.

I don't remember Ofna getting sued. I remember the guy running Ofna just up and closing the doors though.
I had heard something along those lines too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back