Mojave More and more Mojaves : )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpa

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Hi,

I've been having a Mojave for a couple of months. I really like this car however two weeks ago my BLX185 ESC caught fire with some smoke and a little flame. I had a lot of issues with the debris as this car notoriously collects it inside the chassis. The ESC's fan often stopped due to "some" grass and the ESC stopped due to high temp. I think this was the main cause of my burnt ESC. I did not want the same ESC so I was looking for an upgrade and I bought the Max6 and 4985 combo. I tried the new motor and ESC with the speed pinion (20T) but my ESC went to thermal shut however the fan was working and my motor was also quite hot. So I needed some extra cooling. Finding a better fan for the ESC was not easy I found only one high speed 35x35mm fan which is the HRC Typhoon 35x35 fan. It has a much higher RPM (24.000) and it's a direct fit. The difference is quite big compared to the stock one. I also decided to use a smaller pinion (19T) but I also needed something for the motor as well. I bought 2pcs. 30x30 Ruddog high speed fans and I really like them they are really powerful. But I needed a mounting for the 4985 motor. I did not find anything so I made a simple mounting and 3d printed. It uses zip ties and today I was able to test the new fans. After 10mins run (using lot of full throttle) the motor 59C/138F and the ESC 49C/120F. The ambient temp was 32C/90F. More tests are needed but i think it will work : ))) Here is a picture from the ESC and the motor:

DSC_0074.JPG

I used some fine metal mesh to protect the fans which also did the job. Collected a lot of grass but saved the fans. I definitely need something for the debris and most probably I'm going to order a Dusty Motor net. I also upgraded the servo to a Savox sv1270tg.

I made two 3d printable fan mounts for the 4985 motor. One for 30x30mm fans and one for 50x50mm fans if you need it just let me know and I can send it to you.

pimpa

Last edited:
Nice job on making it all work. The mesh looks really good. They sure do collect the what ever you are driving them on.

Screens on fans is great for keeping poop out however the do rob them of cfm.
I found a cheap Hobbywing set up for the big block but fan was very unreliable. Now these sons a bitches will keep my motor temps under 130 balls deep for most of the 6s 100c! Im
Also 22t pinion on 46t speed spur from infraction. Pricey but so is replacing an esc w smoked capacitors or destroyed motor bearing. I’ve have several fan combo set ups as well was diff motor / esc set ups.
this one kicks ass. It’s got its own battery and switch. So if I’m just doing a few jumps here and there I’ll keep em off. If I wanna go hammer time I keep em on. They will run for hours on a single change ;-)
3FDBEB4D-4797-42B2-9EA9-FC0EEE7CE010.jpeg
848A5302-A603-443D-9A15-0CAFE8BF91E0.jpeg
4B6256EE-AC42-46C4-9B31-B057D99771F3.jpeg
7248E75E-93F1-4E9B-A84A-0F83FF17AB67.jpeg

Or the cheap hobbywing set up...
705B9037-8140-4051-B121-B091781CBA51.jpeg
B1C848EA-6840-42C0-8A41-BBD9551F5EC8.jpeg

Thanks guys!

@MFM what a huge fans :) I like it. I found your thread about it it really helpful thanks. I also like the fan on the ESC. As I see it much bigger. According to your pictures I'm not 100% sure but is there a mounting adapter between the ESC's heat sink?

The NTF fans came w an adapter plate for the esc to run the huge fan. Since then I decided to rock both big ass fans on motor and popped back the revtech xf high speed ball bearing fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back