Outcast My fix for rear wing wedging under body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgolom

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
  2. Voltage
It didn't take long for my original body to get pretty mucked up due to the rear wing getting wedged into the tailgate area after a rough landing or cartwheel. Here is my solution.

1. Purchase the following (I got these from Home Depot. I am sure any good hardware store has similar items.):
4 - 1/2" x 1/2" x .194 Nylon spacers
4 - M4-0.7 x 45mm screws (you may be able to get away with 40mm, as mine stick out a bit past the shock tower)
4 - #8 x 1/4 " od x 3/4" aluminum spacers
You can re-use the lock nuts that already come on the Outcast or get new ones. M4-0.7mm

2. Drill out the center of the nylon spacers about 1/4" deep on one side with a 5/16" drill bit. On the other side, drill out the rest of the center with a 1/4" drill bit.

3. Place the aluminum spacers into the 1/4" opening. See picture.
IMG_20200829_135334.jpg

4. Drill out the rear wing mounting holes on the rear shock tower with 1/4" drill bit.

5. Place nylon spacers into new holes, aluminum end first. See picture.
IMG_20200829_153443.jpg

6. Mount rear wing as you normally would, using new spacers and longer screws. Here is the final product. I can't be 100% positive, as I already cut out most of the damaged section of the body, but I do believe this will help reduce/eliminate the issue of the rear wing getting wedged into the body.
IMG_20200829_155549.jpg
IMG_20200829_155712.jpg

Extending it with spacers will put more stress on the tower. Hopefully it holds up for you.
I considered that but the towers on this thing are pretty substantial. So far, it's been holding up pretty well. And I am not easy on my vehicles.

It didn't take long for my original body to get pretty mucked up due to the rear wing getting wedged into the tailgate area after a rough landing or cartwheel. Here is my solution.

1. Purchase the following (I got these from Home Depot. I am sure any good hardware store has similar items.):
4 - 1/2" x 1/2" x .194 Nylon spacers
4 - M4-0.7 x 45mm screws (you may be able to get away with 40mm, as mine stick out a bit past the shock tower)
4 - #8 x 1/4 " od x 3/4" aluminum spacers
You can re-use the lock nuts that already come on the Outcast or get new ones. M4-0.7mm

2. Drill out the center of the nylon spacers about 1/4" deep on one side with a 5/16" drill bit. On the other side, drill out the rest of the center with a 1/4" drill bit.

3. Place the aluminum spacers into the 1/4" opening. See picture.View attachment 97074

4. Drill out the rear wing mounting holes on the rear shock tower with 1/4" drill bit.

5. Place nylon spacers into new holes, aluminum end first. See picture.View attachment 97075

6. Mount rear wing as you normally would, using new spacers and longer screws. Here is the final product. I can't be 100% positive, as I already cut out most of the damaged section of the body, but I do believe this will help reduce/eliminate the issue of the rear wing getting wedged into the body.View attachment 97077View attachment 97078

Nice idea, well thought out and assembled nicely ..??

I just cut the back out of mine.

View attachment 100246

I prefer this though..?

The other option would be to just remove the wing and leave the wheelie bar in place. But that was too simple to think of before I did all this...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back