Talion Need help with talion shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy757

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a v1 talion I bought used. I’m new to this whole thing and noticed I have little to no rebound on the front. Upon further inspection one of the shafts is bent. From my research I learned I have the 3.5mm shafts which are prone to this. What shocks can I replace these with that have the larger 4mm shafts? And what is all needed for me to upgrade them? Also will I need to replace the rear shocks at the same time or can I wait until they break to upgrade them? I’m just not sure how much later talion shocks will change the front ride height. That is if upgrading to later talion or kraton shocks would be the proper upgrade path. I just don’t want to replace them with cheap Chinese shocks. And if I can upgrade for a similar price as rebuilding them I’d much rather go that route, instead of potentially bending shafts on a semi regular basis.

I have news for ya, the whole unit is a china RC.

Not 100% sure on the 4mm shafts but I do know that usually there are only a couple ways to bend shock shafts without hitting anything and that's from too heavy of shock fluid OR landing a moon launch. Shock rebound could be adjusted with the spring collars. You can also build your shock with 0-100% rebound without a spring on. What are your plans with it?

I have news for ya, the whole unit is a china RC.

Not 100% sure on the 4mm shafts but I do know that usually there are only a couple ways to bend shock shafts without hitting anything and that's from too heavy of shock fluid OR landing a moon launch. Shock rebound could be adjusted with the spring collars. You can also build your shock with 0-100% rebound without a spring on. What are your plans with it?
Well I haven’t drove it all that much and the shock fluid didn’t seem all that heavy. Definitely lighter than the 90wt shock fluid I swapped it out with. It also has not been jumped more than probably 2 ft. I’m just planning to have fun at my local rc track with it and the occasional light bash in the desert. Not doing any of the extreme bashing I see on YouTube videos 😂

Hi, I have a v1 talion I bought used. I’m new to this whole thing and noticed I have little to no rebound on the front. Upon further inspection one of the shafts is bent. From my research I learned I have the 3.5mm shafts which are prone to this. What shocks can I replace these with that have the larger 4mm shafts? And what is all needed for me to upgrade them? Also will I need to replace the rear shocks at the same time or can I wait until they break to upgrade them? I’m just not sure how much later talion shocks will change the front ride height. That is if upgrading to later talion or kraton shocks would be the proper upgrade path. I just don’t want to replace them with cheap Chinese shocks. And if I can upgrade for a similar price as rebuilding them I’d much rather go that route, instead of potentially bending shafts on a semi regular basis.
My advice would be to get the shaft for now as it's under 10 bucks and you get two so you'll have a spare, then wait check Jenny's daily and get my hands on a set of the new Talion shocks, they are not badly priced there. the currently have the rears but not the fronts. Jenny's does currently have the Fireteam shocks, front and rear.

Well I haven’t drove it all that much and the shock fluid didn’t seem all that heavy. Definitely lighter than the 90wt shock fluid I swapped it out with. It also has not been jumped more than probably 2 ft. I’m just planning to have fun at my local rc track with it and the occasional light bash in the desert. Not doing any of the extreme bashing I see on YouTube videos 😂
For racing a 1/8th buggy, you want to be around 40wt upfront and 30-35wt in the rear. Any higher than a 3ft chassis slap will call for heavier WT oil but keep in mind that it's not going to handle like it should on a track.

What you see on TUBE with them launching this buggy is not what an 1/8th scale buggy is supposed to do. Sure you can and you can "beef" it up to handle those type of jumps but like I said, its not going to handle on a track.

My advice would be to get the shaft for now as it's under 10 bucks and you get two so you'll have a spare, then wait check Jenny's daily and get my hands on a set of the new Talion shocks, they are not badly priced there. the currently have the rears but not the fronts. Jenny's does currently have the Fireteam shocks, front and rear.
Are the new talion shocks a direct replacement? That’s been the main thing holding me back. I can’t really seem to find a straight answer.
For racing a 1/8th buggy, you want to be around 40wt upfront and 30-35wt in the rear. Any higher than a 3ft chassis slap will call for heavier WT oil but keep in mind that it's not going to handle like it should on a track.

What you see on TUBE with them launching this buggy is not what an 1/8th scale buggy is supposed to do. Sure you can and you can "beef" it up to handle those type of jumps but like I said, its not going to handle on a track.
I’ll probably go a little heavier then, as there are some pretty big jumps at the track and I do occasionally lightly bash it out in the hills and desert! But yeah I definitely don’t have the notion to go launch this thing 100 ft. I like how nimble the talion is and not willing to sacrifice that for some “gnarly” jumps and bashing. But this is the kinda info I’ve needed. I appreciate it!

Are the new talion shocks a direct replacement? That’s been the main thing holding me back. I can’t really seem to find a straight answer.

I’ll probably go a little heavier then, as there are some pretty big jumps at the track and I do occasionally lightly bash it out in the hills and desert! But yeah I definitely don’t have the notion to go launch this thing 100 ft. I like how nimble the talion is and not willing to sacrifice that for some “gnarly” jumps and bashing. But this is the kinda info I’ve needed. I appreciate it!
Although changing just the oil can help, when you change oil, technically you’re supposed to change the pistons too. Heavier oil requires a larger piston hole. Larger piston holes with thick fluid require a stiffer spring. If you decide on going to a 4mm shaft, make sure the stock pistons work. When you do that though, you’ll need larger bottom caps for the larger O rings you’ll need for the new shaft. Don’t forget the bladders. I’m not sure if someone makes a kit or the stock stuff works. I raced buggies for a long time, I’ve never owned an arrma buggy.

Although changing just the oil can help, when you change oil, technically you’re supposed to change the pistons too. Heavier oil requires a larger piston hole. Larger piston holes with thick fluid require a stiffer spring. If you decide on going to a 4mm shaft, make sure the stock pistons work. When you do that though, you’ll need larger bottom caps for the larger O rings you’ll need for the new shaft. Don’t forget the bladders. I’m not sure if someone makes a kit or the stock stuff works. I raced buggies for a long time, I’ve never owned an arrma buggy.
I went ahead and ordered all the stuff for a complete rebuild of the shocks. New pistons, orings, shafts, the whole works. I would like to go to a larger shaft as the general consensus is that it is a worthwhile upgrade. The hard part is that now this buggy is so old I can’t find the proper info to upgrade the shafts and what all will be needed for that. I may just end up getting a newer talion shocks and if they won’t bolt right on modify them with the cap from my stock ones so they do bolt on. I couldn’t find a complete kit though so I ordered it all in individual pieces! Good to know about the piston holes. I figured that was the case but couldn’t really find any “upgraded” pistons with larger holes. I was able to find a tekno spring chart, but haven’t really seen much in the way of what my stock ones are rated at. I just currently have the shocks basically all the way compressed and still the vehicle hardly rebounds in the front. I’m not convinced that the shaft will help all that much as the bend is quite low on the shaft. I may end up just buying stiffer springs as well. I know the added weight of the new esc and motor is contributing to this. But I honestly didn’t think the new one weighed much more than stock.

The towers look to be the same height. What would you consider a direct fit. Don't doubt so much. We customize the ride of the shocks many different ways, you are not going to buy a perfect shock for all purposes. That being said. Yes looks like a direct fit. Take risks man, try new things and don't be afraid to f up. . that is a grain of salt. :D (y)good luck

Last edited:
The towers look to be the same height. What would you consider a direct fit. Don't doubt so much. We customize the ride of the shocks many different ways, you are not going to buy a perfect shock for all purposes. That being said. Yes looks like a direct fit. Take risks man, try new things and don't be afraid to f up. . that is a grain of salt. :D (y)good luck
I agree that’s the fun of it. And I meant direct fit as I’m not having to change a bunch of the other suspension components. I’m okay with drilling and tapping larger holes if need be. And shock standoffs just would like to know if it’s needed before hand so I can get it all at once. I am also going to try some stiffer springs as well in the meantime. Screwing things up and doing it three times is a favorite past time of mine 😂. I appreciate the help and info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back