Typhon Need some help fixing an old typhon mega 550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while, but I got the motor last week (Thanks @Exc3l)!

The only real problem I had was the transmitter/receiver (flysky GT5). At first the car would run for 2 minutes, then stop. I tried to do the calibration
  1. start the esc with the set button pushed
  2. pressed set in neutral, got 1 beep
  3. pressed set in the full throttle, got two beeps
  4. pressed set in full reverse, got no beeps!
I thought the ESC was DOA (even though it came new in box). I did a factory reset on the transmitter and did a rebind, and was able to calibrate, but the range seems to suck. If I am holding the car in the air, I can walk pretty far, but as soon as I put the car on the ground, I only get about 100 to 200 feet before it stops. The antenna was in antenna tube. I also tried the antenna out of the tube. held up as high as I could get it, no change! Any thoughts? I am going to try the Radink RC6GS, but I wonder if I just have a dud.

All that being said, when it is in range, it kicks ass, and it is super fun to drive. My 7 year old and I tested it out after soccer, and his team was running after it like lunatics. I clocked it at 39.6 MPH on a 2S battery with the 15T pinion. I can't wait for my 11 year old (who got the "free" Typhon in the first place) comes home next week, he is going to love it!

Quick question, does anyone grease the spur geer and pinion? If not, why are the diffs greased? what makes them different?

Again, thanks everyone for your help, especially @Velodromed for the shocks, and @Exc3l for the motor and ESC at a cut rate price! This is an awesome community!

BTW @Velodromed, I got the diffs pretty smooth with some shims and some more sanding.

Now for the pics:

F0081A8A-8EBF-4F1C-90FC-D18991F9C459.jpeg

E48B9B07-C04B-40AC-AD21-190D907B5B8C.jpeg

And the action shot:

2B384E33-FD6A-4872-A8E0-BB2B336744AD.jpeg

Sorry for the delay but glad you got everything! I never really liked the FLysky GT5. I have heard mixed things about it. Most people say the range is ehh. RC6GS is my go-to from now on.
Don’t apologize! I couldn’t be more thankful! I’ll let you know how the RC6GS works out!

BTW @Velodromed, I got the diffs pretty smooth with some shims and some more sanding.
That’s great, I’ve spent way to long getting them smooth also lol. It’s nice tho when they are.

That’s great, I’ve spent way to long getting them smooth also lol. It’s nice tho when they are.
Also, running it for a bit seems to have broken in the diffs.

Is there a reason why the diffs are greased, but the pinion/spur isn't?

The diffs experience quick wear and tons of stress and strain compared to the pinion and spur.

My guess…Diff case is sealed (mostly) and plastic on plastic. Spur case isn’t sealed so well and metal on plastic gears. Some run the diff ring and input dry I understand. I use grease. I’ve not experimented with it other then switching from red and tacky grease to superlube grease.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back