Outcast New Outcast Diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jdmcivic

Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Curious if the V3 (2019) Outcast diffs are shimmed properly? I wouldn't be able to tell without getting in the cases and checking for play. Even then, I would just be speculating. Thought I would ask the experts that have experience. I remember reading a few post that mention it but nothing solid.

Planned on ordering a spare center diff to put 500k in it for a quick swap then build the original if needed or just to have a spare with different weight oil.

Also, this version is the V3 right? I read that it is one behind the Kraton's version.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the information about diff shimming was only really relevant for the 2015-early 2017 models, since then for the most part the diffs are already preshimmed. So unless you have any issues or your want to change the fluid in the diffs I would not worry about the shims.

Yes you are correct.

Most of the information about diff shimming was only really relevant for the 2015-early 2017 models, since then for the most part the diffs are already preshimmed. So unless you have any issues or your want to change the fluid in the diffs I would not worry about the shims.

Yes you are correct.
I suspected that. I appreciate the info.

There wasn't any shims on my Notorious- bought January this year.

There wasn't any shims on the center diff of my new V4 Typhon just bought either.. haven't pulled the front or rear apart yet.

There wasn't any shims on the center diff of my new V4 Typhon just bought either.. haven't pulled the front or rear apart yet.
Maybe it is worth taking a look anyway. When I change out the diff oil, I'll see what is in there.

@PowerDubs vehicles are cursed,lol. Just kidding..my 2019 V4 Typhon has shims in center diff.

Did it have shims behind the pins as shown in the v4 diagrams or just the standard normal washers between the little gears and the metal tab inserts? They aren't the same thing.

I'm beginning to think there are manufacturing intolerances at play here. Not every differential housing is per specification and exactly the same. I have had diffs with shims, bash and crash, break the diff housing, replace with new factory diff and discover it was way to tight and binding with shims. Especially once you clamp everything down with screws and in place. Some differentials need shims some don't, from the same manufacturer, same part. This is my personal experience at least. It has cost me many hours just recently as a matter of fact testing and trialing. Diffs are the devil!

I just got a center diff from the kit breakers, and it was supposed to be from a V4 model, but it only had the shims behind the satellite gears, none behind the sun gears and none on the out drives. It didn't even have a gasket, but that's an idiot problem not a version difference. Not sure if this means anything but it also had a white dot on the outside of the cup. I've read somewhere that this is used to identify that it contains heavier diff fluid used on the V4's.

Did it have shims behind the pins as shown in the v4 diagrams or just the standard normal washers between the little gears and the metal tab inserts? They aren't the same thing.
Just behind the little gears

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back