Felony New paint job on my felony

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, gotcha. I don't think so honestly. I didn't really get to test the wing as much as I might have liked before I moved on to a lower slung 765 body so the efectiveness of the wing is still debatable. It's an active aero spoiler with a very pronounced aero foil on the bottom in the hopes that it would generate aerodynamic downforce at the rear while on the gas and functioned as an airbrake, the idea taken from cars like the Veyron.

I mean, I'm sure it interfered with the spoiler to some degree or another, but it's not like I did any aerodynamic modeling or simulations to figure it out. The spoiler was really just a proof of concept for something I built from various bits and pieces I had laying around. The hinge was made from a scrap piece of aluminum tubing and the pin that went through it was part of a screw that I "turned" down using a power drill and a metal file. There were no plans drawn up for the spoiler. I just wanted to see if I could make a functional active aero wing for both straight line speed and braking. It was connected to the throttle so it would go lower the more throttle I gave it and rise up when I hit the brakes.
View attachment 266125
Dope af. Bro let’s be best friends, I wanna pick your brain about that active aero.

Be my guest. You can pick my brain about anything you like. But let me just say up front that I don't actually know anything. I just enjoy trying to build things based on stuff I see, but I don't have any fancy machines or even really know anything about construction, metallurgy, design...nothing. This is just improvised recycling of "stuff" I have laying around using basic tools, trying to work within my very limited means. But I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have as best I can. So...you may fire when ready, grizzly. :)

Be my guest. You can pick my brain about anything you like. But let me just say up front that I don't actually know anything. I just enjoy trying to build things based on stuff I see, but I don't have any fancy machines or even really know anything about construction, metallurgy, design...nothing. This is just improvised recycling of "stuff" I have laying around using basic tools, trying to work within my very limited means. But I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have as best I can. So...you may fire when ready, grizzly. :)
I don’t know anything about it except that even at scale, it all works. I really love the idea of making it attached to the throttle and not just the brake the more I think about it. You need little throttle to turn, but lots of downforce and having them work on the inverse in the same channel is just genius. What did you do to mount the hinged part to the structure? Can we see more closer pics? And have you thought about splitting other channels with more active panels?
I don’t know anything about it except that even at scale, it all works. I really love the idea of making it attached to the throttle and not just the brake the more I think about it. You need little throttle to turn, but lots of downforce and having them work on the inverse in the same channel is just genius. What did you do to mount the hinged part to the structure? Can we see more closer pics? And have you thought about splitting other channels with more active panels?
Also how hard is it to take the body on and off? That was a huge consideration when I did the chute to make sure the body wasn’t cut but also not any part of the structure so it’s easy on and off. Also what’s supporting the weight underneath?
I am just blown away by the active aero.

Also how hard is it to take the body on and off? That was a huge consideration when I did the chute to make sure the body wasn’t cut but also not any part of the structure so it’s easy on and off. Also what’s supporting the weight underneath?
I am just blown away by the active aero.
I never documented any of this thing, so let me get a couple of pics taken right quick so I can better answer your questions with some visuals. Brb...

Ok...that got a little more involved and took a lot longer than I intended. I did get some decent pics of everything though. I'm just going to mark up some stuff in the pics...slide show to commence in a few. I'll try to keep it concise and to the point.

"Why not paint the outside?" and I hit it with a couple of coats of gray granite texture paint and then painted that white.
What the? You mean that WASN'T cottage cheese on your Infraction? I'm going to have to remember not to copy what I see until I've read all the posts!

Much of the wing frame and various connecting pieces were made from 90° aluminum profiles like this, 15x15x1mm.
01 aluminum profile.JPG

Originally the mounting frames for the wing were made from aluminum until I got them cut out of CF and they looked like this.
02 aluminum side piece.JPG

This is a top down view of the wing. Here you can see where the ends of the frames were custom fitted by filing them until they created, more or less one contiguous band that runs around the top. The leading edge of the wing is a section of the 90° profile that I hammered into rounded bottom shape to match up to the curvature of the aero foil. The top deck and side winglets are made from 2mm CF.
03 wing top view.JPG

This is the bottom of the wing. The core of the wing is a stack of styrofoam spars in the shape of the aero foil that I cut from planks. I then glued a a sheet of 0.2mm thick CF to the bottom so that it conformed to the shape of the aero foil. I then reinforced the area where the hinge gets mounted with two small rectangles of 0.2mm CF. The hing is made from two small 90° profile pieces with holes cut for the aluminum tube which was then fixed in place with JB Weld®. The brackets were screwed into the CF with M3 bolts.
04 wing bottom.JPG

This is just a profile view of the aero foil.
05 aero foil profile.JPG

Here's a closeup of the hinge assembly and a look at the leading edge seen from the bottom..
06 hinge closeup.JPG

Here's a profile look at the leading edge.
07 leading edge bottom.JPG

This is the primary mounting point for the entire assembly. The dotted green line marks a section of 3mm aluminum stock that I finished with a piece of the 0.2mm CF. This was just an aesthetic choice so that it all looked like CF without using it everywhere.
The blue rectangle is where the servo is mounted. It's a thin piece of tin with four holes to bolt the servo down which is in turn bolted to the 90° profiles marked in red with M3 screws and capped nuts.
90° profiles were also used to fix the mid section of the CF side pieces to the aluminum plate.
08 wing frame markup.jpg

Here's a closeup of the servo mount.
09 servo mount closeup.JPG

This is the hinge pin which is a screw that I cut to length and turned down to the appropriate diameter using a power drill and file. The hinge pin is cross drilled at the end with a small hole for the body clip that holds it in place when assembled.
10 hinge pin closeup.JPG

The following is the mounting of the wing to the side frames in three steps.
11 hinge assembly A.JPG
12 hinge assembly B.JPG

13 jomge asse,böy C.JPG

This is the wing mounted on the frames.
14 wing mounted.JPG

This last component I couldn't demonstrate because this would have required dismounting the CF wing currently on my Infraction, but hopefully this will make sense.

I made two aluminum pieces like this that bolted to the wing support pieces that connect the diffusor to shock towers and would stick out pointing backwards. When putting the body on the car, these two pieces would emerge just left and right of the back license plate and end flush with the trailing edge of the CF side pieces. The last step would entail a section of M3 threaded rod that I would stick through holes in the support pieces and the bottom of the CF side pieces to bolt everything together and hold it in place with a nut left and right (I hiope this makes sense in conjunction with the pictures).

Last picture in the next post as I can only insert 15 pics per post.
15 support rail.jpg

This is one last view of where the support struts come out next to the license plate and where the section of threaded rod goes through to tie it all together.
16 support rail final position.jpg

Now with the mechanics of it explained, I'll get back to some of the other questions you posed. But I'mma take five before I get to those. Fair enough? :)

Last edited:
Much of the wing frame and various connecting pieces were made from 90° aluminum profiles like this, 15x15x1mm.
View attachment 266187

Originally the mounting frames for the wing were made from aluminum until I got them cut out of CF and they looked like this.
View attachment 266188

This is a top down view of the wing. Here you can see where the ends of the frames were custom fitted by filing them until they created, more or less one contiguous band that runs around the top. The leading edge of the wing is a section of the 90° profile that I hammered into rounded bottom shape to match up to the curvature of the aero foil. The top deck and side winglets are made from 2mm CF.
View attachment 266189

This is the bottom of the wing. The core of the wing is a stack of styrofoam spars in the shape of the aero foil that I cut from planks. I then glued a a sheet of 0.2mm thick CF to the bottom so that it conformed to the shape of the aero foil. I then reinforced the area where the hinge gets mounted with two small rectangles of 0.2mm CF. The hing is made from two small 90° profile pieces with holes cut for the aluminum tube which was then fixed in place with JB Weld®. The brackets were screwed into the CF with M3 bolts.
View attachment 266194

This is just a profile view of the aero foil.
View attachment 266197

Here's a closeup of the hinge assembly and a look at the leading edge seen from the bottom..
View attachment 266198

Here's a profile look at the leading edge.
View attachment 266199

This is the primary mounting point for the entire assembly. The dotted green line marks a section of 3mm aluminum stock that I finished with a piece of the 0.2mm CF. This was just an aesthetic choice so that it all looked like CF without using it everywhere.
The blue rectangle is where the servo is mounted. It's a thin piece of tin with four holes to bolt the servo down which is in turn bolted to the 90° profiles marked in red with M3 screws and capped nuts.
90° profiles were also used to fix the mid section of the CF side pieces to the aluminum plate.
View attachment 266202

Here's a closeup of the servo mount.
View attachment 266203

This is the hinge pin which is a screw that I cut to length and turned down to the appropriate diameter using a power drill and file. The hinge pin is cross drilled at the end with a small hole for the body clip that holds it in place when assembled.
View attachment 266204

The following is the mounting of the wing to the side frames in three steps.
View attachment 266205View attachment 266206
View attachment 266207

This is the wing mounted on the frames.
View attachment 266209

This last component I couldn't demonstrate because this would have required dismounting the CF wing currently on my Infraction, but hopefully this will make sense.

I made two aluminum pieces like this that bolted to the wing support pieces that connect the diffusor to shock towers and would stick out pointing backwards. When putting the body on the car, these two pieces would emerge just left and right of the back license plate and end flush with the trailing edge of the CF side pieces. The last step would entail a section of M3 threaded rod that I would stick through holes in the support pieces and the bottom of the CF side pieces to bolt everything together and hold it in place with a nut left and right (I hiope this makes sense in conjunction with the pictures).

Last picture in the next post as I can only insert 15 pics per post.
View attachment 266218

This is one last view of where the support struts come out next to the license plate and where the section of threaded rod goes through to tie it all together.
View attachment 266221

Now with the mechanics of it explained, I'll get back to some of the other questions you posed. But I'mma take five before I get to those. Fair enough? :)
Dude this whole thing deserves its own post and video series on YouTube. That is badass.

Dude this whole thing deserves its own post and video series on YouTube. That is badass.
Awwwww, don't tell him that, he's all ready got a fat head! :p 🤣 it is pretty badass though.

Ah, gotcha. I don't think so honestly. I didn't really get to test the wing as much as I might have liked before I moved on to a lower slung 765 body so the efectiveness of the wing is still debatable. It's an active aero spoiler with a very pronounced aero foil on the bottom in the hopes that it would generate aerodynamic downforce at the rear while on the gas and functioned as an airbrake, the idea taken from cars like the Veyron.

I mean, I'm sure it interfered with the spoiler to some degree or another, but it's not like I did any aerodynamic modeling or simulations to figure it out. The spoiler was really just a proof of concept for something I built from various bits and pieces I had laying around. The hinge was made from a scrap piece of aluminum tubing and the pin that went through it was part of a screw that I "turned" down using a power drill and a metal file. There were no plans drawn up for the spoiler. I just wanted to see if I could make a functional active aero wing for both straight line speed and braking. It was connected to the throttle so it would go lower the more throttle I gave it and rise up when I hit the brakes.
View attachment 266125
Yoooo they stole your idea. It’s on eBay and I really hope it’s you making money off of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1342822752...BcoTdT3%2BJekA%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2332490

:LOL: They didn't steal my idea. I didn't invent active aero so I'm definitely not making any bank off of this. I think the aero foil of my wing is what sets mine apart and any others I've seen are typically just flat pieces of CF, aluminum, etc. Even if someone were to come along and sell 1:1 copies of mine, it's not like I hold any rights/trademarks to the thing so there's Richard I could do about it. But that's just how the world works anymore. If you design/manufacture/produce/sell anything nowadays and don't trademark it or register a patent, chances are fairly high that you'll see knock-off (and even patents are no guarantee).

Last edited:
:LOL: They didn't steal my idea. I didn't invent active aero so I'm definitely not making any bank off of this. I think the aero foil of my wing is what sets mine apar and any others I've seen are typically just flat pieces of CF, aluminum, etc. Even if someone were to come along and sell 1:1 copies of mine, it's not like I hold any rights/trademarks to the thing so there's Richard I could do about it. But that's just how the world works anymore. If you design/manufacture/produce/sell anything nowadays and don't trademark it or register a patent, chances are fairly high that you'll see knock-off (and even patents are no guarantee).
Idk man, take the credit 😆 I’m just saying. It’s a good idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back