Kraton New servo AVC trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDope

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all fellow Arrma fans. Yesterday I installed a new servo in my K6 EXB (Reefs Raw 500)
Had a hell of a time, my servo horn wouldn’t want to sit on the servo splines and line up where the wheels were centered. Eventually got it to go on.
Went for a test run, and it’s acting all sorts of wack. Calibrated my end points using the DX3.
It would start to veer off to the right really bad, so set the trim all the way left and it just drove like poop.
Also, noticed that my AVC telescopic (w.e it’s called) when you pick up the truck and the wheels turn when you angle it, doesn’t work anymore. Wondering if anyone has some insights to this? Thanks

You have to recalibrate the AVC when you change servos. I don't have the procedure handy because I don't use AVC. A Google search or forum search should help you find it.

I personally don't see the need for AVC or a gyro in a Kraton or any offroad vehicle: I see AVC or gyros as being more useful in a drift vehicle or on an on-road vehicle. I have a Radiolink radio system in my Kraton: it has a gyro, but I never activated it.

You have to recalibrate the AVC when you change servos. I don't have the procedure handy because I don't use AVC. A Google search or forum search should help you find it.

I personally don't see the need for AVC or a gyro in a Kraton or any offroad vehicle: I see AVC or gyros as being more useful in a drift vehicle or on an on-road vehicle. I have a Radiolink radio system in my Kraton: it has a gyro, but I never activated it.

You have to recalibrate AVC anytime you make any adjustments to the steering.

Ah ok thanks man, I thought I did but maybe not. And I do a lot of road raging in my K6, the AVC definitely helps I’d say

IMG_2136.jpeg

Damn thank you for that. Exactly what I was looking for!

I've also found 50% steering and 0% throttle makes for a good AVC setup. Minimal input to steering so it's not fighting you and if it needs to correct, doesn't cut the throttle

Hey all fellow Arrma fans. Yesterday I installed a new servo in my K6 EXB (Reefs Raw 500)
Had a hell of a time, my servo horn wouldn’t want to sit on the servo splines and line up where the wheels were centered. Eventually got it to go on.
Went for a test run, and it’s acting all sorts of wack. Calibrated my end points using the DX3.
It would start to veer off to the right really bad, so set the trim all the way left and it just drove like poop.
Also, noticed that my AVC telescopic (w.e it’s called) when you pick up the truck and the wheels turn when you angle it, doesn’t work anymore. Wondering if anyone has some insights to this? Thanks

Hello

Good post there, and one with a link to the video showing how to calibrate AVC. Sometimes, you cannot get the servo horn on the spine where the wheels are straight. At that point, you have to trim it out and then set your endpoints. With some of the better radios, like a DX5C, for example, you can adjust the spine where it is straight, which will change your trim curve, so you can adjust the trim so it still has enough for full left/right trimming equally.

AVC is not bad, I like it. Just know you are limited to only about 1/3 of the potential on the stock radio. You cannot adjust all 3-AVC settings, so it is hard to fully judge the performance if you do not have access to all the potential. Some love it and hate it. It seems to me some get limited experience on the stock radio....if it's your thing, do the research for yourself.

(y)

Hello

Good post there, and one with a link to the video showing how to calibrate AVC. Sometimes, you cannot get the servo horn on the spine where the wheels are straight. At that point, you have to trim it out and then set your endpoints. With some of the better radios, like a DX5C, for example, you can adjust the spine where it is straight, which will change your trim curve, so you can adjust the trim so it still has enough for full left/right trimming equally.

AVC is not bad, I like it. Just know you are limited to only about 1/3 of the potential on the stock radio. You cannot adjust all 3-AVC settings, so it is hard to fully judge the performance if you do not have access to all the potential. Some love it and hate it. It seems to me some get limited experience on the stock radio....if it's your thing, do the research for yourself.

(y)
Wow okay that’s some good info. Stuff I definitely did not know. So the DX5 is a good one? Sounds extremely useful. Im a big fan of AVC, might just need to snag a better radio.

Dx5 rugged is a good transmitter, I upgraded some time ago and now have all my vehicles programmed to a single controller which is nice. It also has a better frame rate than the stock controller, meaning steering/throttle feedback is quicker. Step at a time, there's almost no end to what you can upgrade/pour money into with these rigs

Dx5 rugged is a good transmitter, I upgraded some time ago and now have all my vehicles programmed to a single controller which is nice. It also has a better frame rate than the stock controller, meaning steering/throttle feedback is quicker. Step at a time, there's almost no end to what you can upgrade/pour money into with these rigs
Hell yah, would I need a new receiver for each car I’d want to use it on? Currently I’ve got a K6 EXB, Fireteam and a Granite.

And I’m learning real fast how easy it is to blow money on these haha. I’ve been at this hobby for only 3 months and have spent a painful amount. But loving every second

Hell yah, would I need a new receiver for each car I’d want to use it on? Currently I’ve got a K6 EXB, Fireteam and a Granite.

And I’m learning real fast how easy it is to blow money on these haha. I’ve been at this hobby for only 3 months and have spent a painful amount. But loving every second
This is the way. Hahaha

Kraton, granite and fireteam (Arrma brand with Spektrum electrics) all already have spektrum recievers, so just bind the dx5 rugged to each, adjust end points and gtg. Buying an SR315 etc for a crawler, drift car etc is like $40-50 and easily swapped out. They'll work with any esc, so you can buy whatever brand vehicle and add it to the fleet.

Wow okay that’s some good info. Stuff I definitely did not know. So the DX5 is a good one? Sounds extremely useful. Im a big fan of AVC, might just need to snag a better radio.
Hi

I must be fair. The Spektrum rabbit hole with radio and receivers for your other rigs can be far more expensive than some other tx/rx posted on the board.

Spektrum receivers, especially if going AVC, cost way too much. I did not know this four years ago, so I am vested in it. At the same time, I bought AVC receivers off sale here for those who did not like them for cheap for all my 6S rigs. I also got my DX5C cheap here under $100, and the DX5 has also sold cheap here.

Today, I would have to look at another radio and receiver gyro action to save money if I were starting over. DX5 is a good radio, but other cheaper brands put it to shame.

Food for thought.

This may be an older model, but I hear tons of good posts about it:
RadioLink RC6GS
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Channels-Controller-Receiver-Telemetry/dp/B08DFQ4Y95

Last edited:
Hi

I must be fair. The Spektrum rabbit hold with radio and receivers for your other rigs can be far more expensive than some other tx/rx posted on the board.

Spektrum receivers, especially if going AVC, cost way too much. I did not know this four years ago, so I am vested in it. At the same time, I bought AVC receivers off sale here for those who did not like them for cheap for all my 6S rigs. I also got my DX5C cheap here under $100, and the DX5 has also sold cheap here.

Today, I would have to look at another radio and receiver gyro action to save money if I were starting over. DX5 is a good radio, but other cheaper brands put it to shame.

Food for thought.

This may be an older model, but I hear tons of good posts about it:
RadioLink RC6GS
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Channels-Controller-Receiver-Telemetry/dp/B08DFQ4Y95
Not wrong, there are many other brands outside of Spektrum, some less and some more expensive. Classifieds section here will usually have a few tx/rx for sale from time to time. I kept within the spektrum ecosystem due to the learning curve as I got into the hobby as well. No regrets, but I haven't used other systems, futaba for example seems to popular with actual racers, but they can over 6-700 for the tx. Everything I had was already spektrum, so the dx5 rugged wasn't blowing the budget for something better than stock and just integrated into the fleet

Not wrong, there are many other brands outside of Spektrum, some less and some more expensive. Classifieds section here will usually have a few tx/rx for sale from time to time. I kept within the spektrum ecosystem due to the learning curve as I got into the hobby as well. No regrets, but I haven't used other systems, futaba for example seems to popular with actual racers, but they can over 6-700 for the tx. Everything I had was already spektrum, so the dx5 rugged wasn't blowing the budget for something better than stock and just integrated into the fleet
Feel ya there.... I like my Spektrum tx/rx with 14 rigs on the radio. I ain't changing nothing :LOL:

Like you said....I do have a box of AV rx ready for a new rig.

Back