Kraton Newbie questions Kraton 6s / 8s. Plus many more Q's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YJGUY

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Like a lot of people I'm stuck inside and bored. I went down a Youtube worm hole and came across some RC videos about a month ago and bought an Axial SCX 10 II Jeep to play around with in the back yard. Its fun but I would also like something a bit faster to try out. I'm considering the Kraton 6s, Kraton 8s or the Mojave. They all look like fun machines and seem to be able to take a beating. I am 45 and don't anticipate hanging out at at rc parks to trying to launch this thing into space like some UK youtuber I saw. Just more messing around in local parks and maybe a few jumps at the cottage.

I have a few questions if you can offer any advice that would be great.

1) I like the Kraton line and the Mojave line equally. But I am leaning towards the Kraton as it can take a bit more of a beating without destroying the body. Besides price, is there any downside to getting the bigger 8s Kraton? Is it too big to drag around and use regularly? Will my wife divorce me when she realized I'm an overgrown child with a giant RC? All the hobby shops are closed so I've never seen one in person. I guess I don't want to get the 6s and regret it.

2) For the 6s, are you better off buying 2 3 cell batteries or one giant 6 cell one? I assume I'd have to get 4 of the 3cell and 2 6 cell to swap out when out playing. I already have a Hitech X2 AC Plus Black Edition Charger and would just need to get the right leads for the battery.
https://www.zonehobbies.net/product...-1v-100c-3s1p-lipo-battery-pack-with-ec5-plug
vs
https://www.zonehobbies.net/products/gens-ace-5500mah-22-2v-60c-6s1p-lipo-battery-pack-with-ec5-plug

3) Is there anything I need to do buy straight away or modify out of the box? I have read about changing the center diff fluid so something heavier. I'd rather just try to order everything in one shot as all the shops are closed and I need to order on-line. I do need to buy some tools and maybe an electric screwdriver too.

Sorry, I know this post is all over the place. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
A.

I'm a similar age and have just got back into the hobby. My budget was a little more limited by choice though so I didn't consider the 8s and went for a lightly used 6s which with the difference in price from new allowed me to upgrade quite a few bits (servo, chassis braces, rpm bumper and arms, fast Eddie's bearings, radio etc) and still stay within my set budget and not exceed the price of a new one. One thing I will say is that these move at a phenomenal rate and on my first run I knocked by daughter over like a bowling ball with the throttle set at 70% and not realising there's a brake ?. Luckily she wasn't hurt but have a look at the sizes before ordering because the 6s is a beast and the 8s is on another level size wise.

The main upgrade if not bashing to hard is to up the centre diff fluid and vent the tyres to stop the ballooning. I went for 200k and just refilled the front and rear diff at 10k, which only gives minimal ballooning with the tyres vented on my runs. Battery wise go for two batteries each time that way if a cell goes bad you will only loose on 3s or 4s battery rather than a 6 or 8s cell.

I think you’ll be more than happy with the kraton 6s, the 8s is gigantic!!

The batteries, either two 3s or one 6s will work, but most prefer the single 6s. Just remember if you do decide to go the two 3s route, they need to stay as a matched set/pair, if one dies you need to replace the set!

As for upgrades out of the box, I’d recommend an rpm front bump, and aluminum servo mount. (The stock one flexes tons!) It’s also a good idea to change the diff oils to your liking. Most people prefer 60/500/30 and don’t forget to vent the tires!

Hope this helps, Welcome to the fam! ?

Frankly, I think a 3s would be perfect for you right now but what the heck, go 6s :D Just be aware that these things need room to move!

In my opinion you don't have to upgrade anything immediately. But RPM bumper is a good tip. Servo mount - I just used longer bolts to stiffen it up and it's fine for my liking. I prefer a single 6s pack.

Vent the tires, plug the wheels! Mandatory!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back