Porsche 962 on a 1/8 GT. Finally finished! (Mostly…)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow @Dan B.
I knew your work would look great but this is better than I had expected!!!
Where do you purchase the sticker/decal kits?
Thanks for the kind words! I get the decals from a one man band in Canada. The quality is exceptional but they do come uncut. He scales them however you want, but since our larger cars aren’t nearly accurate like those beautiful 1/10 Touring Cars, the decals only get close. I had to order multiples to get them to look correct, and the final result for this car was a mixture of 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9! 😂
https://mciracing.ca/
I might get to stare at this car all winter unless we get a good rain to clean off our already salted roads here, followed by a warm streak. It’s looking like the season is a wrap for the road cars now, but we’ll see! Hopefully this will be the one to get me into the 100mph club.

My nizzle...talk about taking the proverbial ugly duckling and turning it into a swan! She turned out beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words! I get the decals from a one man band in Canada. The quality is exceptional but they do come uncut. He scales them however you want, but since our larger cars aren’t nearly accurate like those beautiful 1/10 Touring Cars, the decals only get close. I had to order multiples to get them to look correct, and the final result for this car was a mixture of 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9! 😂
I might get to stare at this car all winter unless we get a good rain to clean off our already salted roads here, followed by a warm streak. It’s looking like the season is a wrap for the road cars now, but we’ll see! Hopefully this will be the one to get me into the 100mph club.
My nizzle...talk about taking the proverbial ugly duckling and turning it into a swan! She turned out beautiful Dan.

Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

I know how much a labor of love this has been, which leads to my next question...are you sure you want to risk this body speed running or have you considered getting a second one and just painting it a single bright neon color? Or are you more the "no risk, no fun" kinda Dude? I could be wrong but...my gut says the latter.

I'm a bit torn on the topic myself as I have yet to take my own Porsche body for a drive since the one time whence I took the video and have only used the FC100 for speed running duties. One part of me doesn't want to bang up the Porsche body and keep it mint while the other part of me really likes the sense of realism one and a half seasons of speed running have added. It looks more like a race car mid-season that had a few minor prangs and got a few make shift spot repairs to the body to keep the aero intact and that kind of grime you get after giving a plastic scale model (like a WWII plane or tank) a darkening wash and dry brushing for the highlights (I hope you know what I mean) that just makes it feel more "real".

But putting all that to the side, top notch work brother. 9.73/10 (I hope you can forgive me for not going 10/10 but it's this philosophical thing I have with perfection...I don't believe in perfection. I can't help but believe that there's always room for improvement, no matter how good I think something [or some person] is or looks or whatever quality is in question...even if I can't tell you what it is that would improve whatever it is we're talking about. And if I would allow myself to give someone/something else a 10/10, this would open the door to giving myself a 10/10 [deserved or not] on something which would mean that I've capitulated to my own inability and could no longer say, "If I did it again, I could do better". I hope the subtext of what I'm saying is understood :).)

My nizzle...talk about taking the proverbial ugly duckling and turning it into a swan! She turned out beautiful.

My nizzle...talk about taking the proverbial ugly duckling and turning it into a swan! She turned out beautiful Dan.

Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

I know how much a labor of love this has been, which leads to my next question...are you sure you want to risk this body speed running or have you considered getting a second one and just painting it a single bright neon color? Or are you more the "no risk, no fun" kinda Dude? I could be wrong but...my gut says the latter.

I'm a bit torn on the topic myself as I have yet to take my own Porsche body for a drive since the one time whence I took the video and have only used the FC100 for speed running duties. One part of me doesn't want to bang up the Porsche body and keep it mint while the other part of me really likes the sense of realism one and a half seasons of speed running have added. It looks more like a race car mid-season that had a few minor prangs and got a few make shift spot repairs to the body to keep the aero intact and that kind of grime you get after giving a plastic scale model (like a WWII plane or tank) a darkening wash and dry brushing for the highlights (I hope you know what I mean) that just makes it feel more "real".

But putting all that to the side, top notch work brother. 9.73/10 (I hope you can forgive me for not going 10/10 but it's this philosophical thing I have with perfection...I don't believe in perfection. I can't help but believe that there's always room for improvement, no matter how good I think something [or some person] is or looks or whatever quality is in question...even if I can't tell you what it is that would improve whatever it is we're talking about. And if I would allow myself to give someone/something else a 10/10, this would open the door to giving myself a 10/10 [deserved or not] on something which would mean that I've capitulated to my own inability and could no longer say, "If I did it again, I could do better". I hope the subtext of what I'm saying is understood :).)
Thanks man, but you don’t have to quantify this as not being a 10/10. It ain’t. 😂 I’ll be fixing some paint bleeds on the fins with white 3M film, and getting picky here and there on the rest. Overall, I’m happy with it, as I can catch a glimpse of it across the room (in varying light positions, in various orientations, with our without my glasses on, and after consuming varying amounts of Vodka and then again absolutely sober) and sort of identify it as a 962. So I guess I’ll take it… Objectively, I’d give it an 8.7/10.
But yeah man, I’ll be running this to over 100. If she gets me to there then the body, if not already destroyed, can become a very groovy shelf queen.
And moving forward to my next project, I want to both ask your forgiveness for stepping on your toes and copying your fantastic design, and also for your blessing in moving forward with a Gulf liveried 917K build…. Is that cool with you? 😊

Well, there was some paint bleed but I’ll be able to fix it for the most part from the outside when I get picky with it. The proportions of that Delta body weren’t exactly spot on, but overall it looks like a 962 (that shrank a little and needs to go on a diet) and the tail turned out pretty good. When it’s done, I think I’ll be loving it! I’ll post some better pics at some point.
View attachment 334993
View attachment 334994
View attachment 334996
View attachment 334997

View attachment 334995
I hate not paying attention to all the threads in the Forum because I miss out on one's like this. What an amazing job and a truly awesome representation of the actual car. Congratulations on completing it. You should be very proud👏 👏

I hate not paying attention to all the threads in the Forum because I miss out on one's like this. What an amazing job and a truly awesome representation of the actual car. Congratulations on completing it. You should be very proud👏 👏
Thanks man, that’s very nice especially coming from you!

Thanks man, that’s very nice especially coming from you!
Brother, I'm a butcher. Everything I own that looks good is because someone else did the details. If I tried to do something like your build, it would turn out looking like a Yugo. You deserve all the praise you get for this awesome creation

Thanks man, but you don’t have to quantify this as not being a 10/10. It ain’t. 😂 I’ll be fixing some paint bleeds on the fins with white 3M film, and getting picky here and there on the rest. Overall, I’m happy with it, as I can catch a glimpse of it across the room (in varying light positions, in various orientations, with our without my glasses on, and after consuming varying amounts of Vodka and then again absolutely sober) and sort of identify it as a 962. So I guess I’ll take it… Objectively, I’d give it an 8.7/10.
But yeah man, I’ll be running this to over 100. If she gets me to there then the body, if not already destroyed, can become a very groovy shelf queen.
And moving forward to my next project, I want to both ask your forgiveness for stepping on your toes and copying your fantastic design, and also for your blessing in moving forward with a Gulf liveried 917K build…. Is that cool with you? 😊
thats-the-spirit.gif

I love the fact that you're overly critical of your own work (as any self-respecting artist look-a-like should be). You're right within the margin of error too. I'm always at least a full point under what I hear from others (or other as the case might be). :LOL: But, uhm...

Do huh? You want to...infringe on my registered trademark and copyright?!

Have at it brother, I know it can be done better and if your work here is anything to go by...I know it will be. :)

I know exactly what you mean brother J...at least it's not just me. :)

View attachment 336394

I love the fact that you're overly critical of your own work (as any self-respecting artist look-a-like should be). You're right within the margin of error too. I'm always at least a full point under what I hear from others (or other as the case might be). :LOL: But, uhm...

Do huh? You want to...infringe on my registered trademark and copyright?!

Have at it brother, I know it can be done better and if your work here is anything to go by...I know it will be. :)

I know exactly what you mean brother J...at least it's not just me. :)
Thanks man, I appreciate that. You were the first and only member here on AF to properly embody a 917 in a build and at the very least you need (and require) props for that, IMO.
I‘ll do you proud, man. I promise! 😊
Brother, I'm a butcher. Everything I own that looks good is because someone else did the details. If I tried to do something like your build, it would turn out looking like a Yugo. You deserve all the praise you get for this awesome creation
Jeez man, seriously? Thanks very much, but I’ve been watching and drooling over your builds for quite some time here. You’re too kind, eh? 😊

Thanks man, I appreciate that. You were the first and only member here on AF to properly embody a 917 in a build and at the very least you need (and require) props for that, IMO.
I‘ll do you proud, man. I promise! 😊
I know you will. 💪:cool:

I was going to wait until I was finished with this before posting it, but the more time I spend on it the more it‘s starting to look like a build thread for the body! 😂
I got one of the Delta 962 bodies, and like most of the larger bodies it’s not very “scale” in appearance at all. The proportions are not quite right, and the arse is basically nonexistent. This is the body I got from Delta (This is a pic from their site.)
View attachment 332171
I finally got it fit and trimmed somewhat to my liking. Final finishing, sanding the cuts and wheel arches, etc. isn’t done yet.
View attachment 332172
This is the shape I’ll be trying to emulate, and the more I get into it the more I realize how much more I have to do to get it even close to actually resembling a 962. Here‘s my motivation—
View attachment 332173
Obviously, the entire tail doesn’t exist on the Delta shell so I’ll be building that from scratch. The shape of the nose is quite different as well, but I’m going to have to live with a too-tall front fascia. I also will have to live with the “fins” on the Delta body that run along the upper edges of the sides of the body, which the 1:1 Porsche doesn’t have. Those raised edges are going to make it a lot more difficult to mask, tape, and paint because my fat fingers don’t fit up inside that 10mm wide internal gap, which is precisely where i need to mask and tape the color transitions and the red and gold accent stripes between the colors. Going to be a tedious PITA for sure, and I am NOT looking for paint bleeds on this thing, so the taping is going to have to be done well.
I made cardboard templates for the vertical stabilizers on the rear of the tail, and will be cutting them from some 3.0mm Kydex when I get the shape just right. My thought here is that Kydex remains a bit flexible which could help the tail survive in a shunt. The horizontal spoiler blade will be carbon fibre to add rigidity. They’ll be joined by those really nice billet Scorched wing mounting brackets.
View attachment 332175
View attachment 332176
I did most of what you see for final fitting and the templates last night, and I’ll add to this thread as I’m able to continue.
I’m really looking forward to the finished product, while simultaneously acknowledging that the final product will almost certainly not be totally satisfactory, but I’ll be trying hard to make it as good as possible. If it ends up actually looking something like a 962 I guess I’ll be happy, even if I have to squint my eyes from 3 feet away to overlook a few flaws. 🙄
That looks awesome Dan. It's not that easy getting the lines taped of and not having bleed thru and also trying to replacate another car. I look at that car and said to myself where the hell he get those decals and saw it was mci- racing. Thanks for that and I emailed him today and where working on some decals for a project of mine.
Nice job Dan👍

That looks awesome Dan. It's not that easy getting the lines taped of and not having bleed thru and also trying to replacate another car. I look at that car and said to myself where the hell he get those decals and saw it was mci- racing. Thanks for that and I emailed him today and where working on some decals for a project of mine.
Nice job Dan👍
Thanks, man! And yeah, I’ve probably ordered a dozen or so sheets from MCI for various projects. You have to cut them, but his quality is fantastic. And he has one of the best libraries of classic liveries I’ve seen. A couple notable absences though… I need a good set of Ricardo Patrese‘s and/or Nigel Mansell’s Williams FW-14B F1 car, and also both of the ‘70 and ‘71 Porsche 917 LeMans liveries.
He’s a fantastic resource, and here’s the link for anyone that missed it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back