Vorteks Programming Spektrum esc with Hobbywing box.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt888

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that you can program the standard 3s Spektrum esc with a Hobbywing program box? I'm sure I've read it somewhere but I can't find it now.

Years back with the OG BLX Arrma ESC's , yes you could use the HW programmer. I have done so.
No more with Spektrum Smart Branded ESC's. Need their Spektrum Smart Programmer to do any programming. Or just use the manual "Set button" procedure method per the ESC manual, a PIA IMHO. In a pinch will work. But have the SMart programmer makes it super fast and easy. A time saver. Less chance for Parameter Menu Value mistakes. Nothing worse than changing LVC or Brake strength, thinking you were adjusting your Punch setting all along. A fail. Been there.

You most likley read misinformation there otherwise.... I tried connecting the HW programmer to my Spektrum Smart ESC, a no go.(n) Doesn't recognize the Smart ESC. The Smart Spektrum Eco thing has become Proprietary.

Need this:
https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Smart-ESC-Programming-Update/dp/B07XZ9VBYV/ref=sr_1_8_sspa?crid=93PZXM70U50S&keywords=SPektrum+smart+programmer&qid=1701201521&s=electronics&sprefix=spektrum+smart+programmer,electronics,108&sr=1-8-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1
It is a multi feature tool that will also check Lipo parameters, and do ESC Spektrum F/W updates while attached your PC/internet. ( via USB cable)

Edited.

Last edited:
No, not true. I have an old Turnigy programming "card", it works on ALL my HW, HW Oe rebrands and Spektrum esc's. Including a v2 Firma 160. Maybe the box doesn't work, but the cheap card does.
Looks like this, except mine is a Turnigy brand, like 15 years old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128-145705_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128-145705_Samsung Internet.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 30
No, not true. I have an old Turnigy programming "card", it works on ALL my HW, HW Oe rebrands and Spektrum esc's. Including a v2 Firma 160. Maybe the box doesn't work, but the cheap card does.
Looks like this, except mine is a Turnigy brand, like 15 years old.
I have a couple of these, I also have a Hobbywing program box for a Max8 and I've got a Hobbyking program box that looks like the Spektrum one as well.

@KnowAir I have the HW branded cheap Card version Looks identical and it never worked on my FT Firma 150. esc.
That's wierd. :unsure: I get nothing when plugged in.

Matt888, give them all a try???

Thanks for that I'm going to the States in a few months time I'll wait and grab one there, they are half the price 😲

Screenshot_20231128_204413_Samsung Internet.jpg

@KnowAir I have the HW branded cheap Card version Looks identical and it never worked on my FT Firma 150. esc.

I suppose it can't do any harm, I will and let you know, I do know the Hobbyking one won't work on the Hobbywing esc.

Ya know, I seem to have heard that now that you mention it. I think it might be dependent of which version of the card one has? No sure. I swear though, the old Turnigy card works on everything I have here. V1 (and v2) Firma 160, BLX185, Hobao rtr 150, Redcat 150, Redcat 100a, Max6,TC Torox,Max10....🤷‍♂️
I'll give it a go on my brother's Firma 150's too when I get home.

This could be Firma ESC F/W dependant, whether one card works, others not? :unsure:
It's ony F/W coding that will allow or not allow a card to work. How I see it. I am sure legit Firma smart programmers have some Model identifier chip?

So, I forgot that my brother's rigs are still IC5 equipped. I have switched everything to XT90 so I can't plug my batts into his Firma 150 stuff. However, I offer this for proof of compatibility of the Turnigy programming card with Firma "smart" esc's, v1 Firma 160 connected.

20231128_193654.jpg

20231128_192744.jpg

I have now tried all three program boxes and I can confirm none of them work. They all light up but they don't change the settings. The first Hobbywing card you can only change from 1.1 to 1.2 you can't select 1.3.
20231129_190218.jpg
20231129_190449.jpg

20231129_190608.jpg

What about the card for the Max8 you mentioned in a previous post? I would think an EZ run(Max) card would work? The one I shared above from Amain I think works? Not sure. The Turnigy card definitely does.

What about the card for the Max8 you mentioned in a previous post? I would think an EZ run(Max) card would work? The one I shared above from Amain I think works? Not sure. The Turnigy card definitely does.
These are the only ones I could find. Maybe I don't have one fir the Max8 but I'm sure that's what was in my RB when I sold it, I can't really remember.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back