Kraton Punch settinv vs center diff fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fasteddie760

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all. First time RC owner here. What's the difference of using thicker center diff oil versus adjusting the punch setting?

Ed

Hey all. First time RC owner here. What's the difference of using thicker center diff oil versus adjusting the punch setting?

Ed

Punch is going to determine how much power you get when you initially pull the throttle trigger. It can very from instant full on to a more gradual application of the throttle. Punch is sort of like traction control.

Your center diff fluid is going to dictate the distribution of power sent to the front and rear wheels. These differentials will send more power to the side that has the least resistance. When you accelerate the rear tires get the most traction, hence resistance. Therefore the differential will send more power to the front. This can lead to the front tires spinning much faster than the rears and having them balloon. The heavier the center diff fluid the less the effect of power distribution. If you jammed silly putty in the center diff the power between front and rear would never vary. You want to find something in between the stock thin diff fluid and silly putty. I like 500k to a million for general bashing. If I were a racer, it would be far lighter. Search the forum. There are some good posts on diff fluid weights.

Thanks for the reply @bicketybam

I already ordered some 500k as I read about it. I just pulled the center diff and the crap inside of it is pretty thick already. I attached an image and a link to a vid of it. I thought it was supposed to be like water? Im changing to fix the tire ballooning you mentioned.

Ed
20181102_154912.jpg

Thanks for the reply @bicketybam

I already ordered some 500k as I read about it. I just pulled the center diff and the crap inside of it is pretty thick already. I attached an image and a link to a vid of it. I thought it was supposed to be like water? Im changing to fix the tire ballooning you mentioned.

EdView attachment 23465

Wait till you see how thick 500k is.

Wait till you see how thick 500k is.

I was gonna say the same thing lol, I am doing a video on that right now

In this video I made I used electrical cleaner to clean Diffs, my brake parts cleaner was NON chlorinated so it did not work. this is the first im hearing about chlorinated being the difference, I need to try that now., time for a sequel video

I like to put the first large sun gear in the cup and the pre fill the cup about 1/2 way then put the other gears in including the top large sun gear, let it sit then wipe off any excess then put the gear on

I was gonna say the same thing lol, I am doing a video on that right now

In this video I made I used electrical cleaner to clean Diffs, my brake parts cleaner was NON chlorinated so it did not work. this is the first im hearing about chlorinated being the difference, I need to try that now., time for a sequel video

I believe denatured alcohol, turpentine and acetone will also work. Acetone is absorbed pretty easily by your skin though so I definitely recommend proper gloves if your going to be in it much.

Thanks all for the help. I only changed the center for now. Front/ rear some other time.

Ed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back