Quality Louise wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neelis

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I bought some Louise wheels for my Typhon, but they all wobble bigtime.

Opened one up and found the foam is oval and the thickness is not the same everywhere. That explains the wobble.

Should I avoid Louise in general for the bigger wheels or is this bad luck?
20231003_163132.jpg
20231003_163041.jpg
20231003_163038.jpg

No, i tried their 1/10 on road truggy wheels on a Slash, because i wanted to try the monster style look. They were horrible. Wobbling so bad the car couldn't track straight. I threw them in the 'shouldn't have bought this' box in the far corner of the attic.

Those are Typhon size? Look quite big? Over here in the US they're sold as Duratrax brand. Budget tires I say. Which doesn't mean they're no good, I've got quite a few sets in various sizes, been good to me. How much run time on them? They may just need to settle out, or be run a bit.. many balance rc wheels and tires. I've done it a few times, definitely helps. I just got lazy and stopped doing it. Can you actually get replacement foams for them? Not available here.. actually Duratrax is all but history here in the US. I have a set of 1/5 beadlock SC tires that are great. Now I can't find them..tires, wheels or foams. What a shame.

I’m on my second set of their ’1/10 for Maxx’ MFT (belted) tires. I’ve balanced them with some lead weights. Not the best tires for onroad high speeds, but for offroad bashing they’ll do. And I really like the looks of some of the Louise/Duratrax wheels.😄

Duratrax/Louise are definitely a budget brand. However, that doesn't mean budget brands are inherently bad. I'm running some banditos for my street basher Tekno SCT. I had some Stakkers on my Granite. Yeah they aren't superbly balanced and smooth, but they grip just fine and they can also cost half or less than half of what an equivalent proline tire does. But yeah their QC is hit or miss.

It's kind of luck of the draw with them, IMO.

Those are Typhon size? Look quite big? Over here in the US they're sold as Duratrax brand. Budget tires I say. Which doesn't mean they're no good, I've got quite a few sets in various sizes, been good to me. How much run time on them? They may just need to settle out, or be run a bit.. many balance rc wheels and tires. I've done it a few times, definitely helps. I just got lazy and stopped doing it. Can you actually get replacement foams for them? Not available here.. actually Duratrax is all but history here in the US. I have a set of 1/5 beadlock SC tires that are great. Now I can't find them..tires, wheels or foams. What a shame.
These are Traxxas Maxx wheels, yes they are big, but it looks cool and I wanted to try something different, but the wobble is not ok.

They are almost new, 1 time up and down the street.

I can consider to balance them, but I need to invest in the tools and weights to be able to do that.

20230926_180601.jpg

These are Traxxas Maxx wheels, yes they are big, but it looks cool and I wanted to try something different, but the wobble is not ok.

They are almost new, 1 time up and down the street.

I can consider to balance them, but I need to invest in the tools and weights to be able to do that.

View attachment 325173
For a quick DIY balance, disconnect the hub from the truck (with the axle), and reattach the wheel. Then you can hold the hub and spin the wheel, see where it stops at, and add weight as necessary. I use stacks of gorilla tape, and it works fine enough. Not the heaviest weight, but it's cheap, accessible, and every little bit helps. They balanced my kaiju tires which were pretty terribly out of balance.

I also did the DIY method like @Hector_Fisher mentioned. I did however re-attach the hub without the dogbone so you won’t have to hold it by hand and have the same angle as when dogbone is re-installed again.
I just ordered some cheap 1:1 car balancing weights (a strip contains 12 pieces of 5 gram each) on Aliexpress. But some use hot glue, modeling clay or tape. If it works it works.

I also did the DIY method like @Hector_Fisher mentioned. I did however re-attach the hub without the dogbone so you won’t have to hold it by hand and have the same angle as when dogbone is re-installed again.
I just ordered some cheap 1:1 car balancing weights (a strip contains 12 pieces of 5 gram each) on Aliexpress. But some use hot glue, modeling clay or tape. If it works it works.
This is also a great idea. Unfortunately, for some trucks the driveshaft/axle are one piece or press-fit CVD (such as my kaiju, granite/big rock, and HPI bullet. I've found some ways to do it with the driveshaft dangling, but it's more tedious. I like the idea of using old/spare RC parts to build yourself a balance hub. I'm sure i have enough parts accumulated and laying around somewhere 🤪

This is also a great idea. Unfortunately, for some trucks the driveshaft/axle are one piece or press-fit CVD (such as my kaiju, granite/big rock, and HPI bullet. I've found some ways to do it with the driveshaft dangling, but it's more tedious. I like the idea of using old/spare RC parts to build yourself a balance hub. I'm sure i have enough parts accumulated and laying around somewhere 🤪
Yes, I was doing exactly that back when with my Thunder Tiger MT4.. spare rear hub clamped in a vice, stub axle/adapter free wheeling on bearings. Works quite well. I used split shot sinkers and hot glue.. as long as the rim isn't too close to the hub after installation it works a treat.
I'm talking myself right into balancing tires again!!😂😂
It really does pay huge dividends..even if only close..

Last edited:
I bought some Louise wheels for my Typhon, but they all wobble bigtime.

Opened one up and found the foam is oval and the thickness is not the same everywhere. That explains the wobble.

Should I avoid Louise in general for the bigger wheels or is this bad luck?View attachment 325168View attachment 325169View attachment 325170

Open pretty much any rc tire and you will find that the foams are not uniform in any dimension,yoy should always balance any new tire even on a rtr. I had a set of 2.8 Lockup MT that were super wobbly then the foams disintegrated in them after like 6 months there was nothing left. I have a set of the Lockup buggy tires and they aren't near as wobbly as the MT tires were, I've only had them for a few months and so far the foams are holding up.

So the issue with Louise tyres is that they are using cheap foam? The tyre as a material os ok? Can it take the power of 6S, do they baloon like crazy?

So the issue with Louise tyres is that they are using cheap foam? The tyre as a material os ok? Can it take the power of 6S, do they baloon like crazy?
The non-MFT balloon big time. The MFT tires are low profile, so I would not recommend heavy jumping with them. Low jumps (6 feet or so) on soft terrain are fine. Tape the holes on each wheel to prevent water and dirt coming in otherwise the foams will dissolve. Make 2, 3 or 4 small vent holes in each tire. The MFT (belted) line from Louise can handle 6s and won’t balloon (at least not visible).

Uh those wheels are far from brand new, they are covered in dirt. Dirt gets in the holes in the wheels then causes them to become unbalanced. But Louise Rc and Duratrax tires are balanced just as well as the Arrma and Proline tires.

Uh those wheels are far from brand new, they are covered in dirt. Dirt gets in the holes in the wheels then causes them to become unbalanced. But Louise Rc and Duratrax tires are balanced just as well as the Arrma and Proline tires.
I bought those wheels and they were so badly balanced that the car was hopping up and down.

I inform you that they had little use, and only on cement. Even when I had them balanced, they continued to jerk the car! I also sent a message to the company, but did not hear back.

Back