Limitless Radio for SpeedRuns? (and Noble NB4 discussions)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the DumboRC X6F as well, I'm thinking about upgrading though as sometimes the range isn't consistent. Now that I'm hitting speeds of almost 100mph and next run will be over the 100 mark I'd like to know I've got range consistently. What would be a good upgrade that isn't a ton more in cost over the Dumbo?
the Dumbo is a great quality, and inexpensive radio you wont have to worry about the range believe me

you should have someone critique your speach, really
And you shouldn't make posts without reading first. The way I write is fine. Everyone else can understand me. The person that made this post is not even me. So either you are mixing people up or you are just have no idea who you are talking to. And everything the OP wrote was easily understandable. And this is a forum not an english class.

Last edited:
And you shouldn't make posts without reading first. The way I write is fine. Everyone else can understand me. The person that made this post is not even me. So either you are mixing people up or you are just have no idea who you are talking to. And everything the OP wrote was easily understandable. And this is a forum not an english class.
Don't feed them

troll GIF

I run the DumboRC X6F as well, I'm thinking about upgrading though as sometimes the range isn't consistent. Now that I'm hitting speeds of almost 100mph and next run will be over the 100 mark I'd like to know I've got range consistently. What would be a good upgrade that isn't a ton more in cost over the Dumbo?
If you had to pick best long range radio for lowest cost.... the answer may be RadioLink RC6GS V2. It runs about 79.99 on Amazon and I would be shocked if you can run it past its range. I need to go back out with it using binoculars and see just how far it will go. There is some latency at long distances, but I experienced this with Futaba on both the FHSS and FASST protocol receivers.

@rotauq is saying the FlySky NB4 improves on this, but we don't know for sure how far it will go with the dual antenna FTr10 receiver and its also about $270 for the radio and dual antenna RX. (not exactly budget friendly, but better than a Futaba 7px)

If you had to pick best long range radio for lowest cost.... the answer may be RadioLink RC6GS V2. It runs about 79.99 on Amazon and I would be shocked if you can run it past its range. I need to go back out with it using binoculars and see just how far it will go. There is some latency at long distances, but I experienced this with Futaba on both the FHSS and FASST protocol receivers.

@rotauq is saying the FlySky NB4 improves on this, but we don't know for sure how far it will go with the dual antenna FTr10 receiver and its also about $270 for the radio and dual antenna RX. (not exactly budget friendly, but better than a Futaba 7px)

So for community sake, i've ordered a FTr10, FTr16S and FRM302 :rolleyes:
It will be end of march before it arrives though.

I might record a video in the weekend with the FTr8B to show the low latency at a distance. I'll have to hook it up to a vehicle that's able to deal with the snow though.

I did some investigation on the AFHDS3 protocol and they basically copied the tech from immersionRC Ghost. It uses what they call the 2.4Ghz LoRa technology. The chipset they use for LoRa has 500x the sensitivity of current 2.4Ghz systems. Obviously it doesn't make it 500x better, but it can deal much better with signal-noise ratio and the noise floor. It allows a slightly different signal modulation, bla bla (quoting other people) In short, it kind of makes the RSSI scale obsolete. It's still able to deal just fine with a very low signal signal strength.

FRM302 is a Tx module (JR form factor) that should work in my Jumper T16 drone radio and i am looking for more range there too. FrSky D16 i am currently using is end of life and has a shorter range than my DJI FPV. If range from the noble is insufficient i will probably be able to hook up the FRM302 as a range extender. It's rated for >35km range and <10ms delay :unsure:

So for community sake, i've ordered a FTr10, FTr16S and FRM302 :rolleyes:
It will be end of march before it arrives though.

I might record a video in the weekend with the FTr8B to show the low latency at a distance. I'll have to hook it up to a vehicle that's able to deal with the snow though.

I did some investigation on the AFHDS3 protocol and they basically copied the tech from immersionRC Ghost. It uses what they call the 2.4Ghz LoRa technology. The chipset they use for LoRa has 500x the sensitivity of current 2.4Ghz systems. Obviously it doesn't make it 500x better, but it can deal much better with signal-noise ratio and the noise floor. It allows a slightly different signal modulation, bla bla (quoting other people) In short, it kind of makes the RSSI scale obsolete. It's still able to deal just fine with a very low signal signal strength.

FRM302 is a Tx module (JR form factor) that should work in my Jumper T16 drone radio and i am looking for more range there too. FrSky D16 i am currently using is end of life and has a shorter range than my DJI FPV. If range from the noble is insufficient i will probably be able to hook up the FRM302 as a range extender. It's rated for >35km range and <10ms delay :unsure:
Much appreciated!
I still don't understand why distribution on certain FlySky products is so bad. Anxious to see your test results!

I didn't really do the test i intended to, a clear sight max distance test. It will follow soonish. One antenna of my FTr8B has some damage, so it might be better to wait for the FTr10 to arrive.

It was very cold again and i just wanted to stay inside, having a lazy sunday afternoon. Yesterday I prepped my FG strapping my FPV tower to it, but the diff started to act up, then to one of my 1/8 SCT's, but it lacked ground clearance to deal with the tick layer of frozen snow. Eventually switched it to my E-revo in the evening, destroying my fpv tower with a jump. So just duct-taped on old fpv box on it and took it out for a garden exploration range test driving from indoors into the woods:

Looks fun. I'd think for a speedrun test we want clear line of sight range tests.
I know, it was just too cold. Roads nearby where i could do a clear sight range test were packed with people/cars, the Dutch go crazy when they can go ice-skating on lakes. This fun test does proof (for me) that it does extremely handle with low signal strength. With my dual antenna FS-IA6B/IT4S i never came close to this distance and the latency ramped up quickly. A subjective comparison i agree, but as i drone guy i really perceptive of latency.

Now, two days later it seems spring is kicking in, it's predicted to get up to 17/18 Celsius next weekend. Castle update, CNHL racing batteries have arrived, plenty of reasons to get out of the house then and do a clear line of sight range test. Though like i mentioned one of the antenna's seems damaged, so it could be an invalid test for the FTr8B.

I know, it was just too cold. Roads nearby where i could do a clear sight range test were packed with people/cars, the Dutch go crazy when they can go ice-skating on lakes. This fun test does proof (for me) that it does extremely handle with low signal strength. With my dual antenna FS-IA6B/IT4S i never came close to this distance and the latency ramped up quickly. A subjective comparison i agree, but as i drone guy i really perceptive of latency.

Now, two days later it seems spring is kicking in, it's predicted to get up to 17/18 Celsius next weekend. Castle update, CNHL racing batteries have arrived, plenty of reasons to get out of the house then and do a clear line of sight range test. Though like i mentioned one of the antenna's seems damaged, so it could be an invalid test for the FTr8B.
I agree the range was still pretty good given the obstructions to the signal strength.
I have pulled the antenna out 2x on my RadioLink R7fg. It is quite a pain to get back on.

I had a brief moment after work to do a clear line of sight test:

1613598412305.png

I have done ~300m before. It's the antenna end which is damaged, it's still properly attached. Just picking up the wrong wavelenght. Stripped the insolation back to the proper length and try again in the weekend. Then i will attach my fpv box too as now i just stopped when the radio complained. I could no longer see the car, but could hear it still responded.

I had a brief moment after work to do a clear line of sight test:

View attachment 127200

I have done ~300m before. It's the antenna end which is damaged, it's still properly attached. Just picking up the wrong wavelenght. Stripped the insolation back to the proper length and try again in the weekend. Then i will attach my fpv box too as now i just stopped when the radio complained. I could no longer see the car, but could hear it still responded.
Around 900 ft (300m) wont cut it for me although I think the average user would be more than happy with that. 900+900 gives you over 1/4 mile of run distance standing in the middle of the run.

That would need a signal booster for sure on 150+mph setups. The FTr10 is what I am most interested in seeing how it does on range. I have started building a 180+mph car ;)

Around 900 ft (300m) wont cut it for me although I think the average user would be more than happy with that. 900+900 gives you over 1/4 mile of run distance standing in the middle of the run.

That would need a signal booster for sure on 150+mph setups. The FTr10 is what I am most interested in seeing how it does on range. I have started building a 180+mph car ;)
My FTr10 should arrive in less than a month. But i don't expect it to double the range. With the FRM302 on the other hand, i do expect a small miracle.

I use the same Radiolink. I ABSOLUTELY hated it when I first got it and it took 3 weeks to actually make the truck drivable. Mostly because I'm a noob and didn't and still don't understand all the settings. I would actually PAY to see a thread on this and adjusting all those settings. That being said, through trial and error, I've maybe figured out 1/4 of the available settings and have come to appreciate some of the adjustments. One I simply cannot get the hang of is the gyro. I cannot control the truck unless it's turned off. I would really just like to buy another receiver and use this in the 6s too but need to skip the "trial and error" phase as it did contribute to damage to the 3s. For this reason, I've debated going "simple" with a DumboRC. How did you adjust yours? Same way or is there any links for explanations of the settings, preferably a CliffNotes version for noobs?

My FTr10 should arrive in less than a month. But i don't expect it to double the range. With the FRM302 on the other hand, i do expect a small miracle.

Absolutely, going from 100 mW up to 2W is going to make a massive difference.
I have not been impressed with aftermarket signal booster solutions, it is nice to see an OEM provide one like this.

Does the Noble NB4 have a designated mounting spot for this like the Air TX do?

I use the same Radiolink. I ABSOLUTELY hated it when I first got it and it took 3 weeks to actually make the truck drivable. Mostly because I'm a noob and didn't and still don't understand all the settings. I would actually PAY to see a thread on this and adjusting all those settings. That being said, through trial and error, I've maybe figured out 1/4 of the available settings and have come to appreciate some of the adjustments. One I simply cannot get the hang of is the gyro. I cannot control the truck unless it's turned off. I would really just like to buy another receiver and use this in the 6s too but need to skip the "trial and error" phase as it did contribute to damage to the 3s. For this reason, I've debated going "simple" with a DumboRC. How did you adjust yours? Same way or is there any links for explanations of the settings, preferably a CliffNotes version for noobs?

I do not have a full write up and don't use much of the settings myself, but a good YT video is probably your best bet.

This is one for example. I believe he is on this forum:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back