Granite Ramp Size for Granite Bashing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Wasn't sure this was the right sub-forum for this but here goes.

As I have gotten more comfortable driving my Granite since I got into this hobby at the beginning of Summer, I decided I'd like to have a ramp for some jumping and flipping when I'm at home and can't get out to my bash spots.

I decided to first build a ramp out of cardboard from a subwoofer box I had that was nice and big. Knowing I wanted a ramp with a 2:1 ratio, with the available cardboard I was able to make a ramp that is 13 inches high by 26 inches long. Like most ramps you'll see on YouTube, it has a gradual slope ending in a 45 degree angle. The ramp has been fun but I'm ready to make something more permanent out of wood. (Side note, I am not a wood worker and this will be some unfamiliar territory for me.)

From my "mock up" I know I want a few adjustments. Some are easy, like I want to make it wider. My current cardboard one is not even 3 feet wide. I definitely want the wood one to be 4 feet.

The part I am struggling with and made this post about, is for the height and length of the ramp. Hoping people who have built a similar ramp can chime in on theirs as to weather it was too big, too small, or just right. Based on my test ramp, I'm town between making it a foot and a half tall by 3 feet long, or just going to an even 2 feet by 4 feet.

My concern is being TOO much on my truck. All I have is a Granite. While I am much better at air control these days, I am definitely not perfect. I've broke my truck enough already, so I don't want make a ramp that is just asking for it to break over and over. :) But on the other hand, I want to be able to do backflips and eventually front flips. (With my test ramp, I can do a back flip no problem, but I have yet to do a front flip. But that could be due to me not accelerating enough to be high enough and not so much a problem with my current ramp dimensions.) The ramp not being super wide makes it hard to go at it really fast. But I can do a back flip with little to no run up at all.

So that's it. Just looking for thought from those who have used ramps of various dimensions.

This and this video are my 2 primary guides/inspirations for what I ultimately want more or less.

Edit: New question: If my ramp is 2 feet tall or 1 1/2 feet tall and both end at a 45 degree angle, will either be much different as far as the height/distance I can get? Got to thinking I might be looking at this wrong and that overall size may not matter as much as I initially thought.

Last edited:
For portability 3 foot wide is much , but should be fine. Better Driving experience and practice will get you to a narrower ramp.
Make it a quarter pipe.:LOL:

For portability 3 foot wide is much , but should be fine. Better Driving experience and practice will get you to a narrower ramp.
Make it a quarter pipe.:LOL:
My mock one is about 3 wide so that’s why I wanna goto 4. I find it’s too narrow to really hit at a good speed. I know it will affect portability but I’ll probably stick some wheels on it.

What did you mean by a quarter pipe?

You can make it 5 feet wide if you so choose. Or make (2) 3 footers and connect them for portability. Just, 3 foot is wide enough for even a 1/8 rig. IMO. That comes with better driving control. Whatever works for you. If it was a fixed non moving ramp any size will work.
Most don't use super wide ramps. Yeah it's easier to hit it....(y) You want to perfect some big air.(y) But need to work on your straight line driving too.
A quarter pipe is a quarter of a pipe. for some big air.(y):)

20210727_192151.jpg

Mine is 6ft long 33in tall 4ft wide. With the wheels it just fits in the bed of my truck. I built it from scrap/ wood I had on hand, so I didn't really pick the size. I mainly use it for my 6s bashers, but my son has started to take his granite off it(he's still learning, so no crazy flips.) I have a smaller 18in tall 36in long ramp as a "learners".

Thanks. How tall is yours if got recall?
I believe it's about same as it is wide so around 24-26" I'll measure it tomorrow if I remember and give you the exact measurements👍🏼

View attachment 171890
Mine is 6ft long 33in tall 4ft wide. With the wheels it just fits in the bed of my truck. I built it from scrap/ wood I had on hand, so I didn't really pick the size. I mainly use it for my 6s bashers, but my son has started to take his granite off it(he's still learning, so no crazy flips.) I have a smaller 18in tall 36in long ramp as a "learners".
Nice. I like the long slope on that one.

So an 18x36 would be considered beginners? Well that’s embarrassing since that’s the size Im considering. Haha.

I don’t have a truck. Im gonna be limited where I want to lug this thing. We live in a condo but there is a field nearby at the end of the road up a small hill. :)
I believe it's about same as it is wide so around 24-26" I'll measure it tomorrow if I remember and give you the exact measurements👍🏼
Appreciate it. Thank you.

You just gotta build a ramp. I don't need to visit a skate park, my place has small natural jumps but I've got my ramp fit sending it. Mine is 4ft wide and a 2:1 ratio. Makes it fly perfectly.

This is my first ramp. Only a tiddler, but it does the job. Fits in the boot of the car too.
I'd post a video of it in action but can't get it to upload 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20200524_192340.jpg

Nice. I like the long slope on that one.

So an 18x36 would be considered beginners? Well that’s embarrassing since that’s the size Im considering. Haha.

I don’t have a truck. Im gonna be limited where I want to lug this thing. We live in a condo but there is a field nearby at the end of the road up a small hill. :)

Appreciate it. Thank you.
The taller ramp can be a little intimidating and hard to see the landing if your standing driving away from you. This is my son from Friday night. He can't really see the landing.

Mine is 18" high, 33" long. It's 3 feet wide, which I think is minimum to hit consistently with speed. The angle is probably around 50 degrees. You can do small, medium, and bigger jumps with a 18x36 ramp. But there is a limit. No matter how fast I hit it, my 3s Granite won't jump more than 60'. After a certain point the extra speed just makes the RC slam into the ramp harder and the speed gets lost. 33" was the longest that would fit in the back of my SUV. This video shows some of the longest jumps I've been able to do it. A longer ramp will allow for longer jumps and smoother takeoffs in general. You can see Slim64684's ramp above provides a much smoother takeoff.

Last edited:
Mine is 18" high, 33" long. It's 3 feet wide, which I think is minimum to hit consistently with speed. The angle is probably around 50 degrees. You can do small, medium, and bigger jumps with a 18x36 ramp. But there is a limit. No matter how fast I hit it, my 3s Granite won't jump more than 60'. After a certain point the extra speed just makes the RC slam into the ramp harder and the speed gets lost. 33" was the longest that would fit in the back of my SUV. This video shows some of the longest jumps I've been able to do it. A longer ramp will allow for longer jumps and smoother takeoffs in general. You can see Slim64684's ramp above provides a much smoother takeoff.

That's pretty cool. it's also good to know about the max your Granite can go, despite the ramp size. I have no illusions about going that much distance with my Granite, but that's still cool.

I started building my ramp over the weekend and it happens to be close to your dimensions. I intended it to be 18 inches tall by 36 inches long but due to my lack of wood working experience, its gonna be closer to 35 inches long. I did make it 3 feet wide, which I hope will be enough. I hope to finish it in the next couple days. I just need to put the top on.

Finished ramp over the week. Forgot to take a photo though. Had to make some tweaks as the base of the top as it kind of curved down at the middle causing it to make the ramp wobble. Put an extra brace of wood across that section underneath to mostly straighten it out.

Tried the ramp a bit and I’m certainly glad I didn’t go bigger as it sends the truck plenty high even with almost no run up.

I was kind of anxious and stupid and did some jumps just outside my garage onto the street and we’ll now I’m waiting for new parts for my Granite…

I am finally getting the Metal spur gear at least.

Thanks for all the info and advice in this thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back