Ranting again about the lack of choices in 100mm road wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Where are all the manufacturers for these things? Where the heck is China on this? I’m not even talking about speed run tires, which are even more limited. Arrma has the best looking street wheels with the Hoons IMO. GRP’s and PowerHobby’s look ok, I guess. But by now we should have a whole lot more selection for special projects. At the very least could someone please make a classic gold centered BBS Motorsport wheel? What about some Halibrands? Hows about some old school steelies with baby Moons? GM Rally style wheels? Etc., etc., etc…
Having more experience with 1/10 touring cars lately has even further opened my eyes to this. You can find pretty much any replica wheel from any era in any color for any car ever made in a 67mm wheel. We’ve got like maybe 5 to choose from in 100mm. What the heck, man? Dang it!
Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Took me awhile to figure out 1/7 scale and larger is not the norm. 1/10 parts are usually considerably less money. Now pull up your big boy underwear and stop whining. 😉

Same for the 6s tires.... the only good decent rire are backflip tires...the rest sucks. Proline its soft rubber who turns into insane pizza cutters and cost a ton... or you can get the belted ones who just work terrible onbashers unless you use them on a desert truck. The diversity and choice is really on the 1/10 SCT.. 100mm onroad is really just hoons or grp. Kinda sucks vut thatsvall we have for now. Im on my last set of hoons since the last hot purchase i did during the crazy sales. I casual run it now

Licensing. I'm guessing that's what the hold up is with brand names.
I think the better question here is, why did the few manufacturers we do have grow content and stop innovating?
GRP filled a need for a suitable tire for higher speeds. Yet the potential of RCs outgrew them. The bar keeps going higher and higher in regards to top speeds. I find it hard to believe tires cant grow and meet those requirements. But since I got into the hobby in 2020, I've seen the speed run aspect grow steadily. More and more people are attempting them. Yet the suitable tire market either isn't or can't keep up with demand.

With the 1/7th, there are much higher forces than 1/10th. There are some really cool wheels (like what they have on lambos) that just wouldn't hold up to the forces of the limitless platform.

Why aren't you complaining about lack of vehicle options? There is the x-01 and infraction platform.

Where are all the manufacturers for these things? Where the heck is China on this? I’m not even talking about speed run tires, which are even more limited. Arrma has the best looking street wheels with the Hoons IMO. GRP’s and PowerHobby’s look ok, I guess. But by now we should have a whole lot more selection for special projects. At the very least could someone please make a classic gold centered BBS Motorsport wheel? What about some Halibrands? Hows about some old school steelies with baby Moons? GM Rally style wheels? Etc., etc., etc…
Having more experience with 1/10 touring cars lately has even further opened my eyes to this. You can find pretty much any replica wheel from any era in any color for any car ever made in a 67mm wheel. We’ve got like maybe 5 to choose from in 100mm. What the heck, man? Dang it!
Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Amen brother. Some old school wheels would be awesome. I like the grip you get from the Grp,s but the wheel is ugly as fuk. Also why doesn't GRP make a solid rubber tire for speed running.

Licensing. I'm guessing that's what the hold up is with brand names.
I think the better question here is, why did the few manufacturers we do have grow content and stop innovating?
Agreed, but bear in mind I’m talking about aftermarket support, not manufacturers like Arrma offering different wheel options. All of the 1/10tc stuff comes from China and they don’t particularly give two poops about licensing. I’ve ordered BBS, Halibrand, Panasport, and other vintage knockoff wheels. I’ll eat my hat if any of them are licensed. Think of a current or vintage wheel from any era and you can almost certainly find it on AliExpress in 1/10. I’m just saying that I want some in a 100mm format, and with the crazy rise in popularity of 1/7 road cars I’m really surprised there aren’t any options.
With the 1/7th, there are much higher forces than 1/10th. There are some really cool wheels (like what they have on lambos) that just wouldn't hold up to the forces of the limitless platform.
True, but it would be very easy to manufacture them. If a simple five-spoke Hoon can take the abuse then other vintage designs like Halibrands, BBS, and Panasport designs certainly could, just as they were designed for strength for 1:1 race cars.
Why aren't you complaining about lack of vehicle options? There is the x-01 and infraction platform.
I’m perfectly happy with the Lim or Infraction platforms. I can build them any way I wish with a wide variety of very cool bodies to a level of performance that certainly eclipses my own skill. I haven’t even explored Hobao (yet) and have zero interest in an XO-1. I don’t typically buy RTR’s anymore at all. I can build these things from the ground up to whatever vision happens to be dancing in my head at the time except for finishing them out with the proper wheels to complete the look. I’ve really no desire for any other new car options at this point and I really enjoy staying with the same platform, as parts and spares can feed any build I have going.

Great points made by all here. @Dan B. Have you looked into this offering from Proline? I think they look pretty dam good. I like the scale look and old school tire lettering. I'd be curious to know how long a set will last on 6S bashing, as $90 for a set is a little steep. Hopefully someone makes a knockoff of these for half the price.

Screenshot_20240106_093406_Chrome.jpg

Great points made by all here. @Dan B. Have you looked into this offering from Proline? I think they look pretty dam good. I like the scale look and old school tire lettering. I'd be curious to know how long a set will last on 6S bashing, as $90 for a set is a little steep. Hopefully someone makes a knockoff of these for half the price.

View attachment 341121
Yes, I’ve gone to order them a couple times. I should have done the pre-order a couple months ago. I think these would look great on that 962 I just finished. Definitely one the best looking options out there. I really like the Toyo Proxes as well, but they are also pretty spendy.

Dan....its become apparent that your struggling with this issue and your in danger of busting an artery. Maybe sell everything and just stock pile ramen and live a long life. 🤷‍♂️
It’s alright, man. I’ve got the struggle in my heart and ramen in the pantry. The Dude abides.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back