Kraton Rear wheels turning opposite direction when spun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Notorious
I recently installed vitavon diff housings and gears both front and rear. They’re filled with 500k fluid. When I spin the rears only they spin opposite directions. When I spin the front wheels only they spin the same direction. Am I over thinking this? Shouldn’t the rears move one the same direction?

Edit: I also put power through the rig and the wheels spin the proper direction when under power on a stand.

Edit edit: the front diff feels tighter than the rear. I’m stumped

Last edited:
The tires should spin the opposite direction as the other

I’ve noticed sometimes with thicker fluid in F or R diff, the tires Will spin same direction and its No problems

It shouldn't be possible to turn one front wheel and spin the other in the same direction. That way the whole drive train would move with it.
I suggest holding both front wheels in both hands and turning them both in opposite direction. If that doesn't work your diff is binding. Rebuild the diff and check for binding before mounting it in the car.

It shouldn't be possible to turn one front wheel and spin the other in the same direction. That way the whole drive train would move with it.
I suggest holding both front wheels in both hands and turning them both in opposite direction. If that doesn't work your diff is binding. Rebuild the diff and check for binding before mounting it in the car.
Will do. In my hand it spun fine both directions though with no binding.

Did the front driveshaft also spin when you turned the front wheels by hand?
If the the front driveshaft spun and the rear driveshaft didn’t then you have more resistance through the front diff than your center diff, either through higher viscosity fluid or binding internally in the front differential

Did the front driveshaft also spin when you turned the front wheels by hand?
If the the front driveshaft spun and the rear driveshaft didn’t then you have more resistance through the front diff than your center diff, either through higher viscosity fluid or binding internally in the front differential
I can spin the wheels opposite by hand without resistance. When I move one wheel forward the other catches up and moves forward too. I think I’m ok, no?

By “moves forward”, does that mean both wheels rotate in the same direction when you spin one wheel by hand.
A short video uploaded to YouTube and linked in this thread would aid in diagnosis and pretty quickly, and determine if there is any issue with the front end or not.

By “moves forward”, does that mean both wheels rotate in the same direction when you spin one wheel by hand.
A short video uploaded to YouTube and linked in this thread would aid in diagnosis and pretty quickly, and determine if there is any issue with the front end or not.
I’ve literally been spinning these wheels daily to try and figure this out.

Let me know if the link doesn’t work I’ll make it public

How do the front wheels spin if you keep the center driveshafts from turning? If they spin opposite directions smoothly without any hard spots or binding through the full 360 degree revolution, you’re fine.

It looks ok. Was the motor connected in the video?
One last test you could do.
Block the front input shaft. And spin one front wheel. If the other front wheel turns the opposite way, you're good.

How do the front wheels spin if you keep the center driveshafts from turning? If they spin opposite directions smoothly without any hard spots or binding through the full 360 degree revolution, you’re fine.
Mr.Duke just beat me to it

Decided to take the front end apart because something didn’t feel right in my gut. What would cause this line to form? It goes almost all the way around.

When I spin the diff by hand there is no binding but this line doesn’t seem right.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the diff pinion is touching the diff.
I can think of only one cause.
When assembling the diff housing, make sure you hold the diff pinion firmly in place when you mount the input cup. If the pinion can rock back and forth, when the cup is in place, you need to shim it untill the play is gone.

It looks like the diff pinion is touching the diff.
I can think of only one cause.
When assembling the diff housing, make sure you hold the diff pinion firmly in place when you mount the input cup. If the pinion can rock back and forth, when the cup is in place, you need to shim it untill the play is gone.
Shimming under way

Remember that you don't want too much play between pinion and crown gear. That will kill the gears. Shim behind the pinion just enough to make it not touch the diff cup. Any remaining play must be shimmed behind the cup.

For those of you still following, could this be due to a bent chassis? I rebuilt the front diff and it felt great in hand. Once I put it back in I get slight binding at certain spots in the rotation. I don’t know if it’s the internal gears as much as it might be the ring and pinion gear getting hung up due to a bent chassis

All I know is I would have put that diff in and bashed it but that's just me 🤣

Back