Maiden voyage - blew the rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Notorious
So on my maiden voyage I blew the rear. The sun gear (?) has a bunch of material missing but the other gears inside the case look fine. I’m running HW 800kv G2 with 500k front/20m center/500k rear. All new bearings throughout the rig. I also have duratrax lock up x tires on it if that makes a difference in a diff situation like this.

No issues from the front end which makes me wonder what happened to the rear.

does anyone know if I can buy just the sun gear and a new gasket as a stand alone or do I need to buy all the internals for the diff as a package? Also, any thoughts on why the front held up, but not the rear?

I heard a clicking noise just a few moments after sending her out, no jumps just figure eights as I was doing a shake down run. I plan on lowering my braking force a bit to try and spare the drive line, but is there anything else I should be doing/thinking about to make sure she stays in good health?

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

Usually the rear diff goes first as it handles much more stress.

Guessing this is an older rig? May have just had some worn teeth. Be sure when you rebuild it to check for any cracks on the plastic diff cup and shim it well. Were the screws loose at all when you tore it down? When screws back out this happens as well.

Something else to consider, you have a substantial power plant that is much more powerful than stock. What's your gearing?

Good luck, maintenance is part of the game 😀.

Usually the rear diff goes first as it handles much more stress.

Guessing this is an older rig? May have just had some worn teeth. Be sure when you rebuild it to check for any cracks on the plastic diff cup. We're the screws loose at all when you tore it down? When screws back out this happens as well.

Good luck, maintenance is part of the game 😀.
Yeah I bought this rig in 2020 and only started upgrading this winter. Today was my first run and it didn’t last long.

I didn’t see any cracks in the diff cup, but I’ll check again when I reload it with new gears. I picked up the vitavon set and am hoping for the best.

I did have one screw loose when I took the diff out. I thought I cranked them all down, but maybe I was wrong. Something else for me to look out for when I rebuild the diff.

Do you think 500k in the rear is too much? Also how did you know it was an older rig by the write up and pic?! Mind blown!

Last edited:
Yeah I bought this rig in 2020 and only started upgrading this winter. Today was my first run and it didn’t last long.

I didn’t see any cracks in the diff cup, but I’ll check again when I reload it with new gears. I picked up the vitavon set and am hoping for the best.

I did have one screw loose when I took the diff out. I thought I cranked them all down, but maybe I was wrong. Something else for me to look out for when I rebuild the diff.

Do you think 500k in the rear is too much?
I just put the stock 100k fluid back in on my last rebuild, I know people here that run 500k though, I just felt it was on the high side.

I hear the Vitavon gears are great, at a minimum get a new diff cup as well. If you have the coin the aluminum ones are nice too but be sure to threadlock those.

👍

I still haven't managed to do this yet. 😱

Do you think 500k in the rear is too much? Also how did you know it was an older rig by the write up and pic?! Mind blown!
I bought Vitavon cups and gears. The cups are great but the internal gears didn’t work.
The sun gears were a lot thinner than stock which led to them failing. Did your gears work correctly?

I bought Vitavon cups and gears. The cups are great but the internal gears didn’t work.
The sun gears were a lot thinner than stock which led to them failing. Did your gears work correctly?
I ended up ordering two sets of gears and two aluminum diff cups for my rig that are still in transit. I will let you know what happens when all the parts arrive and I can take it for a rip. I’m positive the rear gears went to poop because one of my diff screws backed out a bit. I’m hoping the rigidity of the aluminum housing and thread locked screws help prevent gear slippage/strippage.

I’m also looking into shimming my input gears to tighten up the tolerance. I’ve got less than a mm of play, but some say this is unacceptable. So, I’m listening to the internet and shimming my input gears when my shins arrive. Likely at the same time my vitavon stuff shows up

I ended up ordering two sets of gears and two aluminum diff cups for my rig that are still in transit. I will let you know what happens when all the parts arrive and I can take it for a rip. I’m positive the rear gears went to poop because one of my diff screws backed out a bit. I’m hoping the rigidity of the aluminum housing and thread locked screws help prevent gear slippage/strippage.

I’m also looking into shimming my input gears to tighten up the tolerance. I’ve got less than a mm of play, but some say this is unacceptable. So, I’m listening to the internet and shimming my input gears when my shins arrive. Likely at the same time my vitavon stuff shows up
I just hope this isn’t turning into a ‘what’s next?’ Project. I took the winter to install max 5 g2, beefed up drive shafts all round, new bearings all round, tidied her up and took her for a spin only to grind some gears. I really want to install these diff cups and gears and open her up once and for all. Depression is starting to set in from this journey, but I’ll stay positive!

Back