Mojave Replaced Rear Diff Fluid - Now Diff feels weird, almost knotchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraith405

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Got a slight issue with the repaired diff in my Mojave. I was the guy that posted the carnage from my big wreck the other day.

Slight problem though, when I repaired the truck, I changed the rear diff fluid to 30k. Some guys have said it helps the handling.

However, when I tightened down the diff plate cap screws (the main 4 that hold the lid on), the diff got really tight and knotchy and didn't want to turn. When I loosen the screws, it spins fine, but fluid leaks out around the screws since they are loose. I used the little side thing to drain out some of the fluid, but it didn't really help. There's no shims except for 1 factory shim under the main end gears on each side.

Has anybody run into this before? Did I overfill the diff with too much fluid? Is my plastic diff case just toast?

Sounds like the gear on the back side of the spur is falling off when you are putting it down into the cup. you may have to take it apart again and try to make sure it stays on the pin. if it isn't that are you tightening the screws in a criss cross pattern?

Yeah, I don't think the gear is falling off, because I still get the diff action, it's just very knotchy and difficult to turn with the screws tightened down.

As for the screws, I am putting them all in, and then tightening down little by little going around in a circle. Sounds like I am not doing that right. so I need to tighten down in a 1-3-2-4 order? Like tighten one a little, opposite side, over 1, opposite side or..?

Yeah, I don't think the gear is falling off, because I still get the diff action, it's just very knotchy and difficult to turn with the screws tightened down.

As for the screws, I am putting them all in, and then tightening down little by little going around in a circle. Sounds like I am not doing that right. so I need to tighten down in a 1-3-2-4 order? Like tighten one a little, opposite side, over 1, opposite side or..?
Mine would drop off a little and cause it to get notchy feeling or lock up sometimes. Yeah tighten the screws across from each other or do like a star pattern in other words

Alright sounds good. I had already installed it back in the truck to test and it definitely isn't working quite right. I'll pop the diff out tonight and retighten the screws in the correct pattern and see what that does.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back