Notorious Weird clicking noise coming from center diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weevil

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Notorious
Howdy, new to the hobby

Bought my notorious brand new a few weeks ago, taking it apart to do some maintenance and i notice a weird clicking noise coming from center diff consistent with throttle. Any idea on what this could be? I haven't shimmed the diffs or changed diff fluids from factory and ive fot 50k. 30k and 500k diff fluid on the way

Video :

Thank you

I have a Noto. Same happened to mine. The SWB is hard on the center diff. Went to Arrma aluminum one w/ 500k/200k mix & its been good since.

Last edited:
Wiggle all of the outputs, sounds like a bearing let go.
Hi, i took the diff out, is this what you mean? The bearings looked fine on it. Thank you for your patience this is all new to me

20240203_002603.jpg

Hi, i took the diff out, is this what you mean? The bearings looked fine on it. Thank you for your patience this is all new to me

View attachment 346211
How does it feel turning independently opposite directions? Out of fluid or no resistance, otherwise it’s a front or rear. Since the center is out, power the motor to check those internal bearings.

How does it feel turning independently opposite directions? Out of fluid or no resistance, otherwise it’s a front or rear. Since the center is out, power the motor to check those internal bearings.
Hi, turning independently it actually felt like the fluid was fine, it was quite heavy. Its getting late here so ill have to check the other diffs tomorrow and report back.

It sounds normal to me esp when you give it more throttle. I think the odd sound is the imbalanced of your slightly bent front/rear center driveshafts. If it drives fine and transfers power fine front to rear "i.e. not just front wheel drive" then im sure your fine.

I had center diff clicking in my k6 and I left it alone and it killed fy front and center diffs, all the issues were internal

I removed the driveshafts and the noise was still coming from the center, i checked the front diff and everyrhing looked fine apart from a little play in the gears which i fixed up with the included shims. I will open the center diff and see what is happening inside.

update: put new fluid in center diff and front driff, re adjusted the pinion (i think my mesh may have been slightly loose) and its sounding much better. The fluid in the center was pretty thin so that may have contributed.

@Weevil do you mind taking an "after" video so we can compare after the fixes have been done? I might have a similar issue on my Limitless.
No worries mate i got some m2c parts on the way when they arrive ill make the video thats the next time ill be able to work on it

Also i notice the steering is very weak on my noto compared to my big rock, especially with throttle. Is this because of the plastic servo mount? I got the m2c servo mount on the way and im assuming i will have to shim the spring in the servo saver to tighten it up?

mite be worth checking your motor bearings while your at it

This sound pretty normal to me... maybe the mesh is a little tight or loose because the sound you hear comes from the pinion and spur, but the diff sounds just fine. I don't hear any clicking tbh...

It's the motor. My Spektrum motor did the same thing, I pulled it out put in a different motor and no more weird noise.

Update: refilled center diff again (leaky) and tightened it up, put in my m2c parts, car is sounding good. Ive accepted the fact that alot of the noise is due to the metal geara

Update: refilled center diff again (leaky) and tightened it up, put in my m2c parts, car is sounding good. Ive accepted the fact that alot of the noise is due to the metal geara
One of the biggest things overlooked with composite diff cups is the steel insert loosening up. Can give a false bad bearing sound, it should be embedded into the plastic and will gradually get bad enough to start grinding away at the planetary set.

Okay well i took it out and am getting some really bad cogging or gear skipping or something, when the car is off the ground its fine but when you bleep the throttle it just grinds really hard

Maybe ill just stick to my big rock for now

when i get a chance im gonna rebuild the center and rear diffs again and look for problems

Any other suggestions? This car is really fun when i can get it working but seems like its just having problems 95% of the time

Last edited:
Okay well i took it out and am getting some really bad cogging or gear skipping or something, when the car is off the ground its fine but when you bleep the throttle it just grinds really hard

Maybe ill just stick to my big rock for now

when i get a chance im gonna rebuild the center and rear diffs again and look for problems

Any other suggestions? This car is really fun when i can get it working but seems like its just having problems 95% of the time
Yeah you definitely have diff gears skipping, most common is the ring and pinion. ALL good don't worry there is a permanent fix. When you get the money swap out to exb diffs and never look back. I went through countless stock diffs, they are like butter, I have have a literal bag of them "flawlessly built and shimmed". All my trucks now have the 29mm exb diffs "front, rear, and center" and I can treat them anyway I like "Pics below of diff ring/pnion comparison". If its your spiders that are bad well this just happens but its not a often thing. Although the exb spiders seem to hold better at visual inspectiong they don't seem any beefier but they are in a tighter case so I suspect thats why. Even my 6s Senton has all EXB diffs, its a tank.

I have broken EXB ring//pinions but only from stupidly insane stunts normal people would not do. It's been prolly over 6 months since I busted a diff though on my Kraton or Outcast and I treat them like below every weekend for most or all of a single pack each.

20210213_213258 (1).jpg

Like so!!

Stock status may vary but pricing is the best you'll find:

Here is the entire center, direct replacement in 29mm exb.
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...pur-gear-ara8708?_pos=24&_sid=a21f978f9&_ss=r

Here is the entire Front or Rear, direct replacement in 29mm exb.
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...2&_sid=3800e8450&_ss=r&variant=32989021110326

Last edited:
Back