Typhon RGFast Typhon V5 journey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgfast

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
After a 4-year distraction from the hobby I pulled the trigger and bought a Typhon. This little buggy has really got me back into enjoying the hobby and the stress relief from the daily grind that I get from blasting around my track. I'll be the first to say I know very little about buggy set ups, but plan to enjoy learning as I go. It has also got me thinking I might like to try hand at some local level track racing, just not sure if life will afford me the time to that.

here's the typhon box stock
1705672719677.jpeg

My first mods have been installing Kraton hubs, M2C upper shock mounts and f/r center braces.
1705673437998.jpeg

I've also changed the tires to the TLR style that picked up from Jenny's as well as a TLR red/white and blue body. Really like how it looks!

1705674211939.jpeg

I've also gone through the diffs, fluids as of now are 30F/ 500C/ 20R.
I also installed a 2250KV motor, just a cheap Amazon Apex to try.
1705675650542.jpeg

I'm still running stock gearing and have run this set up once, so far not liking it. I'm not sure if it's diff oils or the KV's but car just seems upset. I've ordered an 18 tooth pinion and plan to install it and go back to stock motor first, but it that doesn't work I'll be going back to lighter diff oils. Car is running on 4s battery's.

I should of added this buggy was an absolute blast to drive box stock on my track! I've made to many changes at one time to know where I went wrong but plan find it and improve on it.
I failed mention that I bushed my A-arms, but I know that has nothing to do with the problem I'm have now. I do this to all my rc cars.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/a-arm-bushings.20899/post-287200

so I just ran a pack though it, buggy is very darty, hard to control and not enjoyable to drive
I'm uploading video here but please understand it makes me look like I can't drive.
try not to laugh.

I do know that almost everybody seems to hate the TLR tires. Throw the stockers back on and see how it is..

I do know that almost everybody seems to hate the TLR tires. Throw the stockers back on and see how it is..
thanks for the tip there, I will try that. At this point I'm going in reverse with all my mods until I find out what's going on here. I can't help but think the diff fluids might be the culprit. Swapping tires will be quick change to find the difference there, might try it tomorrow if it's not freezing here

you were dead on about the tires being junk, buggy handles better with the stock Katars on. Yesterday it was so bad I ran one pack down to storage voltage and parked it, today I've run one pack and came in to charge a couple more. I've also went ahead installed a spare center diff with stock 100cst fluid in to try, I can only imagine it's going improve there as well. I've ordered some low weight fluids to try but probably won't see them for a week.

So after running on the Ehabytes I figure I could make tire wheel combination that would work as good or better so here you go what you think

1705786059277.jpeg

these have got to handle better LOL

well I was able to scarf up TLR chassis from Jenney's this week. Plan is to start tear down this weekend and change all differential fluids while apart back to lighter weights 5k/10k/7k. My hope is to greatly improve the track handling that I lost due to my last choice fluid weights.
1706890124203.jpeg

going back together with buggy now, 26grams lighter with new chassis. Stock is 308 grams, the TLR weighed in at 282 grams for those who might care. I've also replaced the sway bar pivot balls with Team Durango TD330688 and have the diffs ready to assemble.
1706907031054.jpeg

typhon is back together now, I changed the droop screws while swap was going. I felt the new style Arrma is installing is better than the old style, they still left a lot to be desired. Adjusting them was just not meant to be, using a cap screw and a stack of washers wasn't cutting it. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, really think it's going to perform well.
1706926210731.jpeg

1706926253376.jpeg

Back