Kraton Sid's Kraton V5 (re)build thread ++

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi All, I have been on an RC hiatus for about 5yrs and have recently jumped right back in. I was a Revo fanboy for almost 2 decades, LOL. Not really a Fanboy, just happen to get a Revo 3.3 as my first truck and then just naturally got an E-Revo years later, then a MERV for my son etc.. I was tempted over the years to branch out to another brand, but I just was so fluent in Traxxas that I just kept to Revo’s. Getting back into the hobby, I wanted something different and have been enjoying my Kraton V5 for the past 2 mos. Since I started spending time on these forums, the orders just started happening. I haven’t really had any issues, other than my neighbor blowing my center diff and the SLT3 transmitter crapped the bed a few weeks after got the truck. I have since gotten a DX5c and w/SR6100AT receiver and the Servo has since started to act up. Every time I run the truck it constantly turns full left when I let off the throttle and or leave the steering straight (with no pressure left or right) and will straighten when I engage the steering wheel quickly. I’ve done and gone through checking all of the usual causes/settings and no issues other than the servo coming up short. So, I am currently in the process of researching a Servo. I will likely go with a Promodeler (REEFS & Savox were the other contenders). I have just started to read up on Shock options and learn about the different setups. I am also looking for a good motor mount for 2X40mm fans and Diff options for when they fail. I’m also working through a custom wheelie bar setup as I don’t love the optional one that I installed sitting just under the wing. I would’ve been all over a TBR one, but we all know that’s off the table.
I am currently converting my E-revo 1.0 (really an early 2.0) to a real 2.0. When I did that build, from scratch, I threw the best of everything (available at that time) at it along with dremeling out the bulkheads and using the LOSI LST diffs (iykyk). It has GMP, HR, HPP, Lunsford, MIP, Castle MM2/2200kv etc… Too much invested to not do the upgrade and I did always like that rig. I also have my original 3.3 Revo that I completely restored just prior to taking my RC hiatus and a modded out MERV that I run 3s with.
Looking forward to adding Kraton progression over the coming week/months but wont start until I finish converting my E-revo so I have a truck to drive. As you’ll see I have a pile of all of the preferred upgrades thus far and still a few others on the way. Plan to keep the frame, motor/esc, diffs as is for now.

Pics below and any other rec’s, happy to hear them!
Kv5.jpg
E-revo.jpg
MERV.jpg
3.3.jpg

Nice! Enjoy the build. I’m personally not nuts about RPM A-arms, but to each their own of course.
Your 3.3 Revo looks badass. I always thought those were really cool trucks.

Your revo 3.3 looks much nicer than mine. I have abused and beat this. It was my first ever hobby grade car.

Mine is in the right corner there. It has a BB 0.28 and a Reds racing 4 shoe aluminum clutch

1701480651836.png

Your revo 3.3 looks much nicer than mine. I have abused and beat this. It was my first ever hobby grade car.

Mine is in the right corner there. It has a BB 0.28 and a Reds racing 4 shoe aluminum clutch
My 3.3 was pretty abused before I restored it. It was done out of sentimental values. I'll keep it forever.

Making progress on the E-revo 2.0 (Hot Racing issues are disappointing) and then I'll start on rebuilding the Kraton.

Thx @305HemiGuy, I swapped receivers and issue went away. I will use the SR6100AT on my E-revo.

Some downtime with the Infraction build, so I tore down the Kraton and started the service/upgrade/rebuild. Always interesting to see what you will find when tearing it down; few broken screws, mangled shims, wrong screws installed, rear diff almost dry (front diff was in good shape). Anyway, good time doing the tear down and for me, a first time Arrma owner, I am learning a lot about them and how they are engineered and assembled. It is also interesting, after a half decade hiatus, learning about the new hop-up companies and the quality of their products, good and not so good.

Todays Progress:

Treal Hinge Pin Holders
RamJam Ti F/R Driveshafts
RamJam Ti Hinge Pins
RamJam Ti Pillow Balls
RamJam Ti Shock Stand-offs
RamJam Ti Shock Pins
Ammra Kraton EBS Shocks
Scorched Center Driveshafts
Scorched Ti Turnbuckles
Scorched Ti Ackerman
Scorched Ti Steering tabs
Scorched CF Shock Towers
Scorched CF Steering Plate
HR Front Upper Pin Holder
HR Bell Crank / Servo Saver
Avid Bearings
RPM A-arms

Current status

IMG_1010.jpg

Front mostly assembled

IMG_1003.jpg

Making progress on the rear

IMG_1011.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Nice rigs! Thanks for sharing.

Be careful with that SR6100AT, it has a detailed pairing procedure.

Curious, did the wheels turn on their own when AVC was turned off?

If the receiver is dying it may inadvertently end your servo going full lock. Something to watch for.

Nice work! Nice rigs! Thanks for sharing.

Be careful with that SR6100AT, it has a detailed pairing procedure.

Curious, did the wheels turn on their own when AVC was turned off?

If the receiver is dying it may inadvertently end your servo going full lock. Something to watch for.
Thx!

I had followed binding/programming procedure to a T and AVC was turned off. Yes, it was default turning full chock to the left when the steering was not touched for 2 seconds. Meaning if I was on the throttle with no steering or when I let off the throttle with no steering ?? I did swap it out with an SR315 and no issues at all now. I also installed the SR6100AT in my E-Revo (which is running Castle MM2 esc) and works great with no issues in that rig.
Im sure that there is some digital, technical nuance causing the issue but I am not too in depth, knowledge wise, in the electronics dept..

Making progress on the K6S too. doing the 2 build simultaneously has been a bit hectic, but very helpful as I learn the ins & outs of Arrma vehicles. Just waiting on a few things to finish up the 'hardware' portion of the rebuild and then I will clean up the electronics/wiring.

Most excited about the EXB Body. Not a big deal, but I didn't like the red OEM body at all.

Progress:

JConcepts center braces
Promodeler Servo
Scorched CF Servo Mount
Scorched Ackerman Plate Bearings
RPM Rear Mud Guards
RamJam Shock Pins
3DRC Rear Mid Wing Mount
3DRC Front Bumper Support
RCP 2x 40x28MM Fans
EXB Wing
EXB Body
EXB 17mm Hexes
Phase1 RC Rear Bumper
M2C Pillow Ball Retainers

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Finally found the time to finish up this re-build. I had been waiting on a few things, namely the PPS motor mount with came in last month.
So for the final upgrades:

PPS Motor Mount
Hobbywing Max6 G2 ESC
Hobbywing Max4990 G2 Motor
LiLon for powering the Rx

Ran it quick tonight and ran great, for a few min.... While mounting the Proline Belted Badlands that I have, I cracked a Hex Adaptor, so I decided to use a set of OLD New Stock Badlands that had been sitting on my Nitro Revo. 2min into the drive one rear tire about sheared right off the rim. Have a set of the aluminum hex adaptors coming tomorrow so I'll take it out for a proper run then. Happy with how it ran for the few min that I drove it. While I had not initially intended to swap the ESC/Motor, I am thinking of trying out the Spektrum combo in my E-Revo 2.0 with currently has an old Castle MM2/2200kv comb. I do plan to upgrade the ESC fan when I figure out where to get the plugs that HW uses.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Finally found the time to finish up this re-build. I had been waiting on a few things, namely the PPS motor mount with came in last month.
So for the final upgrades:

PPS Motor Mount
Hobbywing Max6 G2 ESC
Hobbywing Max4990 G2 Motor
LiLon for powering the Rx

Ran it quick tonight and ran great, for a few min.... While mounting the Proline Belted Badlands that I have, I cracked a Hex Adaptor, so I decided to use a set of OLD New Stock Badlands that had been sitting on my Nitro Revo. 2min into the drive one rear tire about sheared right off the rim. Have a set of the aluminum hex adaptors coming tomorrow so I'll take it out for a proper run then. Happy with how it ran for the few min that I drove it. While I had not initially intended to swap the ESC/Motor, I am thinking of trying out the Spektrum combo in my E-Revo 2.0 with currently has an old Castle MM2/2200kv comb. I do plan to upgrade the ESC fan when I figure out where to get the plugs that HW uses.

View attachment 354823
View attachment 354824
View attachment 354822
View attachment 354825
Looks great, man. I love that PPS motor mount, it's a beautiful piece.

Back