Rocket RC motors - anybody trim the wires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eno

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Senton 3s
Hey fam,
I have purchased a Rocket RC motor and would like to shorten the wires. But since these are constructed like the Spektrum motors where the wires coming out of the can are part of the windings I don't think shorten these would be a good idea.
Still, has anybody done this yet?

s-l1600.jpg

Hey fam,
I have purchased a Rocket RC motor and would like to shorten the wires. But since these are constructed like the Spektrum motors where the wires coming out of the can are part of the windings I don't think shorten these would be a good idea.
Still, has anybody done this yet?

View attachment 352993

It can be done. You have to remove the enamel coating on each strand of wire.
Some do this mechanically by scraping the wires with a razor blade or there are some chemical stripping methods.

I'd say overall if it is mostly cosmetic and the amount of work does not sound fun you may want to live with it as is.

Yes, it can be done with a LOT of work, but is it really necessary? Those wires aren't all the long. If the total length of the motor wires bothers you, it would probably be easier to shorten the wires on the ESC that the motor wires plug into.

But doesn't it mess up the motor when I trim the windings? I have read that would be the case.

Those wires aren't all the long.

To me they are too long for installation in my Senton 3S. Right now I have them bend in an awkward way and I don't like that.
I guess for now it will stay that way. Will message the manufacturer...

I've done it and can confirm that shortened winding wires will futz up the motor if you don't remove the enamel. Not worth the hassle of trying to remove it, IMO as you can't really be certain that you've removed all of it and that you'll get good a good solder connection, unless done chemically. Just coil up the extra cable.

Back