Nero Rocketzx1’s Arrma Nero build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketzx1

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Infraction 4x4
I started a thread originally in the discontinued section of the forum, quite a few of you were just as excited as I was to have found a Nero roller for relatively cheap. I had intended it to be my build thread, but I didn’t keep up with it do to work.

I haven’t done a build thread, so here we are. This is my kinda short build thread for my newly acquired Arrma Nero!

IMG_0015.jpeg

When it arrived, it was packaged mostly as you see in the photo above. Main chassis, both body’s, and a baggy of the center diff/transmission and related parts. This Nero had Hot Racing driveshafts on the rear, but they were all beat up, rusted and bent beyond repair. Front was missing drive shafts completely minus the axle that the hex hub attaches. This bad boy would need a bit of work before it was in running condition.
1695601873675.jpeg

1695601892334.jpeg

1695601911674.jpeg

1695601937994.jpeg

1695601961749.jpeg

1695601976569.jpeg

1695602010480.jpeg

So I started tearing it apart. I took the center diff apart first, and boy it was nasty. Grease inside had turned a nasty brown color and the smell was of burnt grease and bologna? Yeah it was weird.

IMG_0065.jpeg

1695601640349.jpeg

1695601663113.jpeg

After I get the center diff tore apart and cleaned up, I epoxied the diff brain holes on the diff cup so I could fill it up with proper diff oil and not grease. After I took apart the center diff, I did the same for the front and rear diffs and cleaned them out, epoxied the diff brain holes and let them sit 24 hours before continuing.
1695602126513.jpeg

1695602140141.jpeg

1695602313664.jpeg

1695602249671.jpeg

I put new seals in the diffs, started with the center diff and made sure everything was shimmed up and looking good before I added the diff oil, well in this case the 20 million weight is pretty much putty, put some loctite on the screws, and put 50k in the front and rear as that’s all my unprepared butt had to use 🤦🏻‍♂️. Diffs are done woohoo!

Now on to assembling the drive shafts and essentially putting everything back together. (I didn’t manage to take any pics of this process, oops!) I start by putting together the driveshafts, which are completely new btw, which were pretty easy to assemble. I get them assembled, spray the joints with a dry line, and go to work reattaching the front and rear diff bulkheads.

Once the bulk heads are in, I started putting the drive shafts into the hubs and attached the Hot Racing +5mm hex hubs first so the drive shafts stay in place while I attached them to the diff outdrives. I do all 4 drive shafts, then move on to getting the center diff/power module secured and the center drive shafts attached.

Next is to run the wiring to the receiver box, making sure to keep it all clean and tidy. I then use double sided servo tape and attach the Mamba Monster 2 to the radio tray, and noticed the motor wires are a bit too short to reach. So I had to make some extensions. Once that was done, I also had to make series adapter for the esc for the dual lipo setup. I get all the electronics hooked up, and test them to make sure steering, throttle and brakes work. Everything is in order so far.

Only thing left to do is to find some tires. I considered getting Proline Trenchers X, but couldn’t justify the 108+ dollar price tag. We all found those knock off Backflips, but I can’t be bothered with having to glue the tires lol So I found some Roapex 3.8 Tracker tires on a massive sale for 22 bucks a pair, paid 54 bucks with shipping. They are wide and have huge lugs on them for digging into the dirt and grabbing massive traction on pavement.

I picked up some lipos off Amazon to run in it, nothing fancy. I tested them out in my Erevo 2.0 and the lipos had a lot of power. They are Tindling 5200mah 100c(supposedly 100c lol) for 50 bucks. If they work and have power for what I need, then why not give them a try, right? They were in perfect balance when I got them and they balanced right up on my Hota S6.

That’s pretty much the extent of this Nero build. For now at least. I hope you all enjoyed the journey as much as I did!

Edit; Can only upload 15 pics per post! I’ll add the additional photos I took during the rebuild in a second post!

Last edited:
Sub'd

You wrote a novel..
I'm going to have a find time to read all of it...
(before I can comment more..)

I started a thread originally in the discontinued section of the forum, quite a few of you were just as excited as I was to have found a Nero roller for relatively cheap. I had intended it to be my build thread, but I didn’t keep up with it do to work.

I haven’t done a build thread, so here we are. This is my kinda short build thread for my newly acquired Arrma Nero!

View attachment 323909

When it arrived, it was packaged mostly as you see in the photo above. Main chassis, both body’s, and a baggy of the center diff/transmission and related parts. This Nero had Hot Racing driveshafts on the rear, but they were all beat up, rusted and bent beyond repair. Front was missing drive shafts completely minus the axle that the hex hub attaches. This bad boy would need a bit of work before it was in running condition.

So I started tearing it apart. I took the center diff apart first, and bit it was nasty. Grease inside had turned a nasty brown color and the smell was of burnt grease and bologna? Yeah it was weird.

After I get the center diff tore apart and cleaned up, I epoxied the diff brain holes on the diff cup so I could fill it up with proper diff oil and not grease. After I took apart the center diff, I did the same for the front and rear diffs and cleaned them out, epoxied the diff brain holes and let them site 24 hours before continuing.

I put new seals in the diffs, started with the center diff and made sure everything was shimmed up and looking good before I added the diff oil, well in this case the 20 million weight is pretty much putty, put some loctite on the screws, and put 50k in the front and rear as that’s all my unprepared butt had to use 🤦🏻‍♂️. Diffs are done woohoo!

Now on to assembling the drive shafts and essentially putting everything back together. I start by putting together the driveshafts, which are completely new btw, which were pretty easy to assemble. I get them assembled, spray the joints with a dry line, and go to work reattaching the front and rear diff bulkheads.

Once the bulk heads are in, I started putting the drive shafts into the hubs and attached the Hot Racing +5mm hex hubs first so the drive shafts stay in place while I attached them to the diff outdrives. I do all 4 drive shafts, then move on to getting the center diff/power module secured and the center drive shafts attached.

Next is to run the wiring to the receiver box, making sure to keep it all clean and tidy. I then use double sided servo tape and attach the Mamba Monster 2 to the radio tray, and noticed the motor wires are a bit too short to reach. So I had to make some extensions. Once that was done, I also had to make series adapter for the esc for the dual lipo setup. I get all the electronics hooked up, and test them to make sure steering, throttle and brakes work. Everything is in order so far.

Only thing left to do is to find some tires. I considered getting Proline Trenchers X, but couldn’t justify the 108+ dollar price tag. We all found those knock off Backflips, but I can’t be bothered with having to glue the tires lol So I found some Roapex 3.8 Tracker tires on a massive sale for 22 bucks a pair, paid 54 bucks with shipping. They are wide and have huge lugs on them for digging into the dirt and grabbing massive traction on pavement.

I picked up some lips off Amazon to run in it, nothing fancy. I tested them out in my Erevo 2.0 and the lipos had a lot of power. They are Tindling 5200mah 100c(supposedly 100c lol) for 50 bucks. If they work and have power for what I need, then why not give them a try, right? They were in perfect balance when I got them and they balanced right up on my Hota S6.

That’s pretty much the extent of this Nero build. For now at least. I hope you all enjoyed the journey as much as I did!

(Please see the edit at the top of the page for the missing pictures. I will edit this thread once I get the pictures changed to JPEG format)
Cool. I've only ever seen one on the web. Wild design. Great score if you ask me.

I’m just gonna say what everyone else is thinking… MORE PICTURES PLEASE 😎🤪

So much detail in your write up.

I’m in the process of rebuilding a couple Nero’s too. (I’m gonna have lots more time this winter) so they’ll probably get finished up in a few months.

Nice to see some of us getting these cool Nero’s to play with :)

I have a diff brain one and a non diff brain one.. I’ve completed all the diff brain diffs rebuilding with the grease. Next will be the non diff brain one.. curious to see what’s inside those diffs as I haven’t split em yet.

View attachment 323909

View attachment 323937
View attachment 323938
View attachment 323939
View attachment 323941
View attachment 323942
View attachment 323943
View attachment 323944

So I started tearing it apart. I took the center diff apart first, and bit it was nasty. Grease inside had turned a nasty brown color and the smell was of burnt grease and bologna? Yeah it was weird.

View attachment 323931
View attachment 323933
View attachment 323934
After I get the center diff tore apart and cleaned up, I epoxied the diff brain holes on the diff cup so I could fill it up with proper diff oil and not grease. After I took apart the center diff, I did the same for the front and rear diffs and cleaned them out, epoxied the diff brain holes and let them sit 24 hours before continuing.
View attachment 323945
View attachment 323946
View attachment 323948
View attachment 323947

Now on to assembling the drive shafts and essentially putting everything back together. (I didn’t manage to take any pics of this process, oops!) I start by putting together the driveshafts, which are completely new btw, which were pretty easy to assemble. I get them assembled, spray the joints with a dry line, and go to work reattaching the front and rear diff bulkheads.

I picked up some lips off Amazon to run in it, nothing fancy. I tested them out in my Erevo 2.0 and the lipos had a lot of power. They are Tindling 5200mah 100c(supposedly 100c lol) for 50 bucks. If they work and have power for what I need, then why not give them a try, right? They were in perfect balance when I got them and they balanced right up on my Hota S6.

Edit; Can only upload 15 pics per post! I’ll add the additional photos I took during the rebuild in a second post!

More pics!

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

More pics!

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg
And more!

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0055.jpeg
    IMG_0055.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4752.jpeg
    IMG_4752.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 35
Sub'd

You wrote a novel..
I'm going to have a find time to read all of it...
(before I can comment more..)

Well, I wanted to be as detailed as I could be without writing a 40 page essay 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
I’m just gonna say what everyone else is thinking… MORE PICTURES PLEASE 😎🤪

So much detail in your write up.

I’m in the process of rebuilding a couple Nero’s too. (I’m gonna have lots more time this winter) so they’ll probably get finished up in a few months.

Nice to see some of us getting these cool Nero’s to play with :)

I have a diff brain one and a non diff brain one.. I’ve completed all the diff brain diffs rebuilding with the grease. Next will be the non diff brain one.. curious to see what’s inside those diffs as I haven’t split em yet.
I try to be as descriptive as I can when I build stuff, as in this case it was rebuilding a Nero. I tried to include all the pics I had taken, but only allowed 15 pics in a post.
Cool. I've only ever seen one on the web. Wild design. Great score if you ask me.
Thanks man! It was a good find for sure! Worth every penny I spent on it. Hopefully will have time this week to give it a proper test run and see how it runs!

Well, I wanted to be as detailed as I could be without writing a 40 page essay 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

I try to be as descriptive as I can when I build stuff, as in this case it was rebuilding a Nero. I tried to include all the pics I had taken, but only allowed 15 pics in a post.

Thanks man! It was a good find for sure! Worth every penny I spent on it. Hopefully will have time this week to give it a proper test run and see how it runs!
I searched some on Google. I didn't realize the diff brain was a thing that was stated in the other post. It's electronic locking diffs. I had no idea Arrma ever had that. That's crazy! Cool 😎

I searched some on Google. I didn't realize the diff brain was a thing that was stated in the other post. It's electronic locking diffs. I had no idea Arrma ever had that. That's crazy! Cool 😎
This was Arrmas do it all rc truck. You could buy it without the diff brain, or with the diff brain. The roller I picked up didn’t have it, and they are all but impossible to find now. I’m fine without the diff brains. I hoping to have time this week to give it a proper test drive and see how it does, what adjustments, if any, I’d need to make.

Holy im going the screw route for the diff brain plugging on my second nero. Relying on epoxy aint reasuring to me
Mine qas even nastier. Grease spray everywhere and rust everywhere View attachment 325196
Rear of the body is ruff
The epoxy has worked well for a bunch of people here on the forums, back when the Nero was new. And so far for myself, the epoxy has worked very well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back