Rottsters Review: Scorched Roto-Lok Basher Version in a 6s Kraton with a Castle 1717

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
This is a long time coming. I ordered this along with a bunch of other Scorched RC parts and so far everything has exceeded my expectations. Anyway, after some health issues (I've had 4 teeth pulled since January and have to get one more out this coming Tuesday), I finally got a chance to install this motor mount.

So here's the deal... The factory mount has held up to some serious abuse it was never designed for meaning a CC 1717 1650 with a 21 tooth pinion ripping around @ 70 mph in grass fields and parking lots with appropriate tires for each. However I do plan on bumping up to a 6s HV battery and standard voltage 8s series pack so... I figured I'd nip the "motor jumping out and destroying my drivetrain" stuff in the bud. I never liked the front center diff bearing support being plastic either... It's like a single shear plane with a little support, lol.

As usual, my Crapsman T-Handle couldn't handle pulling the 4mm flat head cap screws that hold the factory mounts, so once again, MIP to the rescue. I won't get into super detail into how to remove the factory stuff as you all more than likely been there, done that. Now the actual parts... Holy crap is this nice stuff, I mean "I would trust my life to this level craftsmanship trying break a speed record at Bonneville" level machining. The bearing support on both ends of the center differential is stellar and the thought put into in to it is genius . Save your FHCS that mounted the factory stuff as you'll need it to mount the Scorched... Unless you wrecked it on the way out, lol.

Another note that really freakin important... Loktite 242 and 243 (I prefer 243 as it's oil resistant) has an expiration date! That date is no BS, we were having issues at work with high pressure air leaks using 545 and I pinned it down to expired lots our supplier was dumping off on us. Another thing is the use of schnorr lock washers.... I love these things and they withstand intense forces and you'll see pics below of as much.

In summary, as the British would say, "it's quite a bit of kit" and that would be an understatement. The whole frame would have to bend at that exact spot the make it fail.... However, it is a tight fit. I have 0.019" clearance between the 22T pinion and the Roto-Lok eccentric and kiss your inner frame pins goodbye. Scorched provides stainless screws to hold that in and you have to trim that area on your inner frame. The front passenger right screw is close to the fan for my way non-standard 8s MMX, certainly not a deal breaker.
IMG_6361.JPG
IMG_6362.JPG
IMG_6363.JPG
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG
IMG_6372.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG

Perfect in every way except the grove to access the pinion isn't deep enough. Getting my pinion lined up with the spur gear was a pain in the a$$. I like using 3 screws instead of 2 for mounting the motor to the plate. Everything is very precisely made. I'm very happy with mine.

I just want to add I'm running a Hobbywing Max6/1650kv combo in mine.

Last edited:
Perfect in every way except the grove to access the pinion isn't deep enough. Getting my pinion lined up with the spur gear was a pain in the a$$. I like using 3 screws instead of 2 for mounting the motor to the plate. Everything is very precisely made. I'm very happy with mine.

I just want to add I'm running a Hobbywing Max6/1650kv combo in mine.
The groove to access the pinion set screw is tight for sure, but I used a T-Handle ball end driver and it wasn't much of an issue. I'm running a 25mm Castle 1717 1650 and the 3 bolt mount is a breeze. I did have to trim my upper cage a bit to fit as instructed in the instructions, lol. A razor blade works great, I trimmed and finished with the side of the bench grinder with super light pressure.

IMG_6397.JPG
IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6399.JPG

The motor sensor wire is tight my RC Brothers, lol. Left some clibbens on the workbench, hope I don't skid out and Barb doesn't leave me, Gobbless. Ok bad Joke on old bikers like me :) Anyway, with the factory 2 bolt mount I could clock the motor so it wouldn't interfere with the aftermarket fans. With the Scorched, it is where it is... Working on it...
IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

Ok, got it. With the tall dual fans (which I love and yeah, they work great) clocked @ about 11, the body drops on with no issues and there's plenty of room for airflow. I did have to remove one bolt on the fan motor screen sub-assembly to clear the terminals on the CC. Don't really need it, it's plenty stiff as it sits and if you have a Kraton, you'll see the louvered "rear window" so there's plenty of fresh air to be blown over the motor. BTW, I've tried cheap heat sink solutions with thermal paste and without, etc. In my humble experience, just a lot of cool fresh air makes a 10 to 20F difference. That's like 4 more minutes of full throttle, on the rear wheels chasing soccer karen stuff! Just kidding, I would never do that, ever.

IMG_6404.JPG
IMG_6405.JPG
IMG_6406.JPG

In conclusion, that's about it for now. It was snowing today and it's just RC Car nasty out so until it dries up and my favorite parking lot surface gets warm, this is about it. The Kraton did an easy 70 mph on the lot and looooved the traction on grass last fall.... Broke all the hubs out of my Pro-Lines, surprise, right? Yeah, not so much, got all new aluminum hubs for both the street and dirt, I suppose we'll see what I break next.

Last edited:
Back