safe motor temperatures: Internal v. external can temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk10438

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I'm running a TP 4040CM 2850Kv in my Serpent and I'm going to try to push the car a little harder. At the end of a speed run the external temperature is reading 140-145 degrees. I've read that delamination of the motor starts to occur at 175-180 degrees and I'm assuming that that refers to the internal temperature? I seem to recall reading a post somewhere that the internal temperature is about 30 degrees hotter than the external can temp? Can somebody confirm? or does the 175-180 degree limit refer to external can temp?
Thanks

🍿

The best resource for actual data will be TP in their QC analysis. For what you pay I’d presume they’ll share that information to eliminate warranty and poor customer relations.

I run my Hobbystar/Rocket brushless motors over 200-220F externally using an IR often. No bearing or rotor seizures in over a year and I go through winter snowbanks.

I'm running a TP 4040CM 2850Kv in my Serpent and I'm going to try to push the car a little harder. At the end of a speed run the external temperature is reading 140-145 degrees. I've read that delamination of the motor starts to occur at 175-180 degrees and I'm assuming that that refers to the internal temperature? I seem to recall reading a post somewhere that the internal temperature is about 30 degrees hotter than the external can temp? Can somebody confirm? or does the 175-180 degree limit refer to external can temp?
Thanks
Depending on the quality of the motor and its rotor, 212F internally is usually the industry limit. Beyond this is where you get into trouble. Rotor delamination can occur, not to mention the magnets magnetic Flux deteriorates. Weakens the magnets with sustained repeated high temps.
Externally read temps can be 40F-50F lower. I feel 140-150F is all I would allow, reading externally with my temp gun.
With my HW XR8 Plus (sensored esc), I seen internal motor temp data logs showing aprox 40 -50F higher than my Temp gun readings. How I made this determination. I am sure many motors will vary somewhat, based on length and mass.
Sometimes simply servicing/ cleaning out the motors and using a drop of Synthetic oil on the 2 cleaned out BB's can lower temps considerably. I always lube the BB's of any brand new motor, before running it.

Last edited:
All I know is cm tp motors are NASTY! I accidentally took one to at least 220f outside temp and the motor is still fine to this day. Tp is amazing in my book.

Everyone loves those TP motors.(y) From the pix, their rotors look well made. A rotor can make or break any motor. You pay for that.
I never had one.

All I know is cm tp motors are NASTY! I accidentally took one to at least 220f outside temp and the motor is still fine to this day. Tp is amazing in my book.
I have 4 TP motors . 2 in my TFL 1122 mid-size zonda , 1 in my sonic wake & 1 in my Hobao gtb drag car. all I can say is they take a licking & keep on ticking :p

I have 4 TP motors . 2 in my TFL 1122 mid-size zonda , 1 in my sonic wake & 1 in my Hobao gtb drag car. all I can say is they take a licking & keep on ticking :p

I'll join in too, I've had one of my TP motors @225 degrees external temp and it's still running fine..
Best motors out there for punishing and coming back for more.. :cool:

I'm pretty sure if we ran our typhons in this weather they would just self combust into flames. :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back