servo saver install...help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I need to replace the servo saver on my little granite voltage. Actually I have replaced it twice with OEM servo saver s that I’d bought when I first got the car. End result of both attempts was the servo saver exploding when I went to use it.
I know about the Kimbrough servo savers now and got a couple on the way. But it occurred to me I may be putting them on too tight, so am hoping to find out the proper way to install one.

You don’t need to crank down on the servo saver mounting screw: use blue Loctite and tighten the screw until snug. Let the vehicle sit at least overnight to let the Loctite cure. Also make sure you are using the correct length screw: one that is too long might damage the servo.

Thank you! I was tightening it far too much so the exploding was my fault.

Ol sayin ' After 'tight' comes 'loose'. ;)

Seriously though, stop cranking screws. You know when to stop when the resistance increases and you can't feel that when you crank.

One thing that helped me when I started doing this, look at the screw-head, when it touches the surface you shouldn't try to go more than another 1/4 turn (in plastic), probably less. Screwing Into metal is a little easier to sense, just stop when you can't turn your driver with 2 fingers (M3 size'd screws).

No 'cranking' needed.

I need to replace the servo saver on my little granite voltage. Actually I have replaced it twice with OEM servo saver s that I’d bought when I first got the car. End result of both attempts was the servo saver exploding when I went to use it.
I know about the Kimbrough servo savers now and got a couple on the way. But it occurred to me I may be putting them on too tight, so am hoping to find out the proper way to install one.
The kimbrough 124 works excellent on a 2 wheel drive voltage. Only modification is expanding the holes in the top corners to take the larger ball posts that I used off the stock voltage servo saver. Also found a servo off a granite 4x4 that I picked up on Amazon for 10 bucks, ‘slightly used’ and works great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back