Outcast Set screws rolling around new Outcast 4s in box!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
So I just got my brand new Outcast 4s today from Arrma, but when i opened the box I noticed three set screws rolling around inside!

Is this normal? Do they send extra set screws or do I have a major quality control issue here?

Please advise as now I think I have to take apart the entire truck to see where they go!

However I am new to the hobby and this is my first Arrma, so I don't even know what I am looking for or I wont even know if other things are missing or not attached properly!

Please help, thank you.

Woo that does seem worrisome - I can't recommend enough checking out the exploded views on the product page of your rig over on the horizon hobby or arrma website, you can at least identify exactly which set screw you have and where they should be, then your search will be a little more fine-tuned, I certainly wouldn't run it without making sure they're all in the right spots though!!

I realize what I'm suggesting may be a bit of a pain, it would be a way to figure this out. Take measurement of the grub screws, find the corresponding Arrma part number and then go through the exploded diagram to see where they're used on the car and verify if one is present. Of course skipping any instances of that grub screw that might be somewhere internally that couldn't just fall into the box, if that makes sense. Just a thought.

There are grub screws in all four driveshafts where they connect at the differential, and also in the pinion. That’s it. So check there first. The ones in the driveshaft may be a bit difficult to see. Where the driveshaft connects to the differential, there is a hole on each side. One of those holes should have a grub screw holding it to the differential drive post. They might be sunk deep in the hole so you need a flashlight or a 2 mm hex driver to check for it.

Another way to tell would be to pull on each driveshaft and if it comes off, it’s missing its grub screw. It’s probably not the pinion one missing, otherwise it would be rattling around in the spurcase not the box… unless they forgot it at the factory and threw it in the box just because. In that case you need to open up the spur case to check.

I’m gonna try and check everything. Just disappointed my first Arrma came RTR…..Ready To REPAIR!😂 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Why assume the worst? They may simply be three screws that made their way into the box during packaging. You need to check the car over anyway, it’s standard procedure. I don’t understand why people expect top quality perfection with an RTR RC car. If you want that, buy a $400+ kit and another 4 or $500 in electronics and build it yourself 😑

Why assume the worst? They may simply be three screws that made their way into the box during packaging. You need to check the car over anyway, it’s standard procedure. I don’t understand why people expect top quality perfection with an RTR RC car. If you want that, buy a $400+ kit and another 4 or $500 in electronics and build it yourself 😑
It's better to assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised that to expect perfection and be disappointed from top to bottom. From a psychological perspective anyhow. It's always worked better for me. Whenever I've been super hyped about anything in the past...reality almost never met or even came close to expectations. Quite the contrary...those were some of the most disappointing events. Ever. But when I would head out with low or just no expectations at all...those, by volume, produced more magical weekends than anything else by orders of magnitude (clubbing played a life shaping role in my life during my 20s and early 30s and the frequency of weekends I spent out across Germany and a few other countries made for a large sample size to get a good barometer on various correlations and causations, from the obvious to the banal).

But I get where you're coming from. Me...I'd still be in the "expecting a :poop: taco" camp...the results are just historically better. But that's just me. YMMV. :)

It's better to assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised that to expect perfection and be disappointed from top to bottom. From a psychological perspective anyhow. It's always worked better for me. Whenever I've been super hyped about anything in the past...reality almost never met or even came close to expectations. Quite the contrary...those were some of the most disappointing events. Ever. But when I would head out with low or just no expectations at all...those, by volume, produced more magical weekends than anything else by orders of magnitude (clubbing played a life shaping role in my life during my 20s and early 30s and the frequency of weekends I spent out across Germany and a few other countries made for a large sample size to get a good barometer on various correlations and causations, from the obvious to the banal).

But I get where you're coming from. Me...I'd still be in the "expecting a :poop: taco" camp...the results are just historically better. But that's just me. YMMV. :)
I’d rather look at things realistically. Sometimes you get 💩 sometimes you get 💎 but most of the times it’s simply m&ms.
So I expect m&ms and I’m occasionally ecstatic and occasionally disappointed but mostly mellow in between.

I’d rather look at things realistically. Sometimes you get 💩 sometimes you get 💎 but most of the times it’s simply m&ms.
So I expect m&ms and I’m occasionally ecstatic and occasionally disappointed but mostly mellow in between.
I feel ya. You go about your bliss in whatever way makes you happiest, I will follow my bliss...and meet you somewhere in the middle. :)

When I got my Kraton 4s I also had one of the 4x4mm set screws in the box, I looked at the exploded diagram to figure it out. Turned out to be an extra in the box all the driveshafts had set screws. Nice of them to included extra parts ha ha. Totally understand the Oh S**t factor, I felt the same way, everything else was either over tight or loads of locktite but everything was secure as need be.

BACD24B2-8B18-41BD-9DB6-7684C941B339.jpeg

I was always gonna check everything anyway in fact i am going to install the m2c chassis brace and motor mount first thing.

It’s just funny to open the box and hear and see these bouncing around!

EA5D998F-D2AC-4FE9-BECB-AF575770D53B.jpeg

Also, is there any consensus on drilling a whole in the chassis under the power module to let dirt get out?

I have heard arguments on both sides but would like to hear the latest on what the forum has to say. Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 273303

I was always gonna check everything anyway in fact i am going to install the m2c chassis brace and motor mount first thing.

It’s just funny to open the box and hear and see these bouncing around!

View attachment 273304
Also, is there any consensus on drilling a whole in the chassis under the power module to let dirt get out?

I have heard arguments on both sides but would like to hear the latest on what the forum has to say. Thanks!
I did on my Kraton 4s It stays pretty clean now, I tried it without the hole when I first got it to see how bad it would get, I was pretty surprised how much dirt get's in there. I am also getting a Outcast 4s soon, and will be doing the clean out hole in that as well. I just drilled a 3/8" hole in mine directly below the spur gear and it's working good. Others have put the fuzzy side velcro around the opening but mine kept getting pushed off, pulling and putting the power unit back in, it makes it pretty tight with that on it. Some others have said to use window weather stripping the small foam stick on stuff, I may try that as well to keep the dirt from getting there in the first place. I like working on the trucks anyway, so I don't mind pulling it out and looking it over after each day I run it, so I may not bother with trying to seal it, the hole does a pretty good job so far.

my outcast 4s v2 was missing the entire roll bar assembly and all the mounting hardware out of the box. and yes the box was taped/sealed shut from factory...quality control (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back