Slightly puffed lipo is dangerous? And 1100kv question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray87

Reaction score
Hi.

Was looking at a pre owned outcast with 8000mah hard case bashing series today,

Batteries looked like new but one of them was slightly puffed under, not noticable from side or on top but it seems like the battery pack under had a thiny puff since once could feel it and placing it on a table it wiggle, kinda heard back in time that one never should use any sign of swollen packs, i wonder if it is that bad or if i should buy a new battery imidiatly if i buying this truck?
It performed well though, also it comes with the 1100kv hobbywing 5687sl motor, how similar is this motor to the stock fima rtr motor?
Is the driveline still durable with this motor from hobbywing?

Appreciate some advices :)

If it's barely noticeable and the cell IR looks good I'd probably still use the pack. The hobbywing motor is much better than stock and not too much for the truck to handle. How much is the deal and what esc does it come with?

If it's barely noticeable and the cell IR looks good I'd probably still use the pack. The hobbywing motor is much better than stock and not too much for the truck to handle. How much is the deal and what esc does it come with?
765 dollar for the exb version with a flysky gt5 controller, max5 esc, looks well used, i see parts for the drivetrain is not cheap so good to hear motor isnt too large.
The chassis under have almost no paint left at all but thats kinda normal, so not easy to tell how much is used.

Instead.. I’d buy a new outcast 8s exb roller off Amazon for $399 then buy a new Hobbywing combo and whatever transmitter fits your budget. 😉

Yes that would be the best but they don't have that offer here in europe. The owner wasnt completly sure about the electrinics but he thought it was max5, is it possible to Watch the difference on a picture?

Here it is

IMG_3744.png

Yes that would be the best but they don't have that offer here in europe. The owner wasnt completly sure about the electrinics but he thought it was max5, is it possible to Watch the difference on a picture?

Here it is

View attachment 310706
Pretty sure that is in fact a max 5. If you've seen the rig run and you can't get the outcast deal, it doesn't seem like a horrible deal to me. Maybe you can get him to go just a little lower if possible.

765 dollar for the exb version with a flysky gt5 controller, max5 esc, looks well used, i see parts for the drivetrain is not cheap so good to hear motor isnt too large.
The chassis under have almost no paint left at all but thats kinda normal, so not easy to tell how much is used.
Is the chassis bent is the question!
Worn out bottom is not tragic and normal, but Since it has much visible use on that chassis, using a straight edge to confirm before you buy it is important. Many of these used bashers are beat to crap. drivetrain and all.
Instead.. I’d buy a new outcast 8s exb roller off Amazon for $399 then buy a new Hobbywing combo and whatever transmitter fits your budget. 😉
+1
Makes the most sense. Get a 8s OC EXB new roller.
An Upgrade M2C chassis, the best... costs aprox $200.+ right there.
An OE EXB OC chassis from JennysRC is $75.00 FWIW.

Not a fan of the 8s line.
Wait....... I think I said that before once???? I forgot if I did.:LOL:

Do you know what you are getting into?

The Kraton 8s is 930 EUR new and handles a lot better- unless you are into stunts. Stunts gone wrong with the Outcast's weight cost a lot of money. The Kraton 8s is a very clean jumper, easy to jump. Roller Outcast is 650 EUR and at least you know what you get.

You also don't know what that Outcast has been through. No paint below it is an indicator that it's been driven hard in rough terrain. The Outcast does have some ground clearance. It does take a bit to remove the paint by driving. Those differentials probably also need some servicing.

Slightly puffed lipos are worthless. Would not pay anything for it. You basically need two sets of two 4s lipos to have some fun. And good chargers. One set of lipos will not get you very far. Max half the price of new without the lipos - if the body is in good shape and the tires not worn down - is more like a decent price. Owner is not sure if it is a Max5? That's a bit of a red flag. He certainly did never serviced the rig and it's 3rd hand if you are the next owner - me thinks. After buying you need to strip down the whole rig, check bearings, oils, differentials. Just be aware of that.

Last edited:
Do you know what you are getting into?

The Kraton 8s is 930 EUR new and handles a lot better- unless you are into stunts. Stunts gone wrong with the Outcast's weight cost a lot of money. The Kraton 8s is a very clean jumper, easy to jump. Roller Outcast is 650 EUR and at least you know what you get.

You also don't know what that Outcast has been through. No paint below it is an indicator that it's been driven hard in rough terrain. The Outcast does have some ground clearance. It does take a bit to remove the paint by driving. Those differentials probably also need some servicing.

Slightly puffed lipos are worthless. Would not pay anything for it. You basically need two sets of two 4s lipos to have some fun. And good chargers. One set of lipos will not get you very far. Max half the price of new without the lipos - if the body is in good shape and the tires not worn down - is more like a decent price. Owner is not sure if it is a Max5? That's a bit of a red flag. He certainly did never serviced the rig and it's 3rd hand if you are the next owner - me thinks. After buying you need to strip down the whole rig, check bearings, oils, differentials. Just be aware of that.
Yes i have had that in mind and you confirmed it, good to get a wakeup, have checked part numbers for the driveline and it is very expensive parts! Never know when the next part snap, when the chassis is almost pure silver under it have probably runned 40-50+ packs most in sandpits and hard landings is my guessing,

Would still consider a pre owned but then i would like to know when it was bought new and that the chassis isnt maximum scratched, i think used rigs is a bit overpriced. They beat the hell out of it and expect to get their money back.

Maby i should look for a kraton too, someone have runned them in snow and wet terrain, and then rust is spotted on bearings and screws. It should not be easy to find a decent basher worth it’s price.

Last edited:
The Kraton and Outcast 8s are a bit controversial. Very heavy - actually too heavy for stunts when they go wrong. Margin of error is near zero. You basically have to treat them like a real car: Don't land on the body. They are so controversial that discussions keep coming up if they will be discontinued. Obviously that's speculation but it points to the problems. I simply don't bash my Kraton 8s as hard as the XRT.

Rust is not that much of a problem. A single drop of water will make the stock screw rust.

I feel compelled to post footage every time arrma 8s durability is called into question. It's really not some fragile RC that needs to be babied. You just shouldn't purposely ram it into objects or it will probably break like any other rc. :ROFLMAO:

If I'm being honest, my Traxxas XRT has been a bigger pain in my ass than the k8s or o8s. Probably more of a pain than both of them combined and it's lighter than both of them. I say that as someone who actually loves the XRT regardless lol. I find it interesting as well that the hardcore bashing youtubers all seem to agree with that and they heavily upgrade both rigs.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back