Smart Battery/DX5C issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickdetroit

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums and happy to find them! Just back into the hobby after many years away, and went from my son's old Rustler to a Hoss, Kraton 8S and an Infraction 3S in the space of about 5 weeks (last 2 in the space of 2 days lol). picked up a DX5C as well.

Was out lightly bashing with my Kraton 8S yesterday, when the DX5C kept giving a voltage imbalance warning between the 2 spectrum 5000 mAh packs. Was seeing as if only one of the two packs was draining down and not the other. Connections were all fine. Checked the batteries voltages independently of the receiver and they were as expected, running down equally. Of note, I had updated the firmware on the DX5C a few days before. Any ideas? My first thought was the firmware update didn't go right. Also seemed to take a few minutes of run to have the batteries read on the remote. Appeciate any thoughts

Please send a pix of your supposedly Smart Lipo Data from the DX5C screen. Let us see what you are seeing.:cool:
Because I just don't get what you mean.:unsure: This will help us to help you better.

Could be something as simple as a measurement error.

Worth checking the IR on the cells if you can. If you have a bad cell(s) it could cause a voltage differential under load that you may not see at idle.

Last edited:
Yeah, last I heard the Smart setup does not show specific cells voltage or compares them
Best to check you lipos with a Cell Checker or your Charger. I wouldn't depend 100% on any DX5C Smart data. Just me.
Like @CrashBoom stated above , look to the Internal Resistance of each cell and their voltages.

Please send a pix of your supposedly Smart Lipo Data from the DX5C screen. Let us see what you are seeing.:cool:
Because I just don't get what you mean.:unsure: This will help us to help you better.
I'll have to see if it recurs next time out. I'll take a pic if it does. There was another firmware update so seeing so also applied that.
Could be something as simple as a measurement error.

Worth checking the IR on the cells if you can. If you have a bad cell(s) it could cause a voltage differential under load that you may not see at idle.
I'll have to google how to do that lol but will give it a shot. Thanks!
Yeah, last I heard the Smart setup does not show specific cells voltage or compares them
Best to check you lipos with a Cell Checker or your Charger. I wouldn't depend 100% on any DX5C Smart data. Just me.
Like @CrashBoom stated above , look to the Internal Resistance of each cell and their voltages.
I checked them both with a cell checker and cells were all (in each battery) within 0.02V if each other and both discharged to about the same. Put them on S2100 charger and saw no issues either.
Thanks for all the replies. I updated the DX5C again and charged the batteries on my S2100. Not sure when I'll get out again, but will take pictures of the display if it happens again. All worked fine before I updated the firmware the last time.

Last edited:
Yeah I am not quick to update the DX5C F/W with every single new RaceWare release. Usually I update a new radio when its brand new. Or if I know there is a new feature that is important to have.
Also, I found in many, but not all cases the Rx has to be rebound after an update. A PIA , if you have many models/Rx's in memory, like mine. But slowly transitioned most of models to my Noble NB4 and Radiolink RC6GS. Better radio's IMHO. My RL has the best range for my Limitless. Using the dually antenna. R7FG.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back