Spektrum smart battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampguts

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Voltage
So I got my kid a grom for his birthday, and he drove it maybe eight times before the battery won't charge. I don't have any familiarity with any of the spektrum Smart BS, I don't know if I need to make a charging cable to hook it to my hota, or if that would even do any good without a balance plug. Any ideas?

What is the voltage of the battery?

So I got my kid a grom for his birthday, and he drove it maybe eight times before the battery won't charge. I don't have any familiarity with any of the spektrum Smart BS, I don't know if I need to make a charging cable to hook it to my hota, or if that would even do any good without a balance plug. Any ideas?
It's possible that the cells are unbalanced to the point of the charger refusing to charge. The balance plug is only for the last 0.1-0.2V of charging so, what I would try is unplug the balance lead and just try to low level charge at 0.5-1A. Once the voltage is 3.3-3.5V PER CELL, stop charging, reconnect the balance lead and then try to balance charge as per usual.

If the Spektrum charger won't charge without the balance lead attached, then I would resort to making a charge lead for your HOTA and proceed as above up to the 3.3-3.5V/cell part and then see if it works again on your SMART charger.

It's possible that the cells are unbalanced to the point of the charger refusing to charge. The balance plug is only for the last 0.1-0.2V of charging so, what I would try is unplug the balance lead and just try to low level charge at 0.5-1A. Once the voltage is 3.3-3.5V PER CELL, stop charging, reconnect the balance lead and then try to balance charge as per usual.

If the Spektrum charger won't charge without the balance lead attached, then I would resort to making a charge lead for your HOTA and proceed as above up to the 3.3-3.5V/cell part and then see if it works again on your SMART charger.

The G2 Spektrum batteries do not have a balance plug. I would just plug it into the HOTA and see if it will charge up a little bit in nimh mode.

1702223603516.png

-edit-

Sorry I should have explained more in detail. As mentioned check the voltage of the battery. If it is below 6v or 3.0v per cell the charger will not charge it. To try and bring it back to life connect the Spektrum battery to your HOTA charger, put the charger on NIMH charge mode, set the charge rate to the lowest setting it will go to which I think is 0.1a on most chargers. Let the battery charge until it is at about 6.8v or 3.4v per cell. Once the battery is at this point connect back to the Smart charger and see if it detect the battery. If not like @Hammer Down mentioned contact HH for warranty.

Last edited:
I smell a HH warranty.. 🤣

These spectrum packs without a balance lead are so stupid. 👎

The G2 Spektrum batteries do not have a balance plug. I would just plug it into the HOTA and see if it will charge up a little bit in nimh mode.

View attachment 336292

-edit-

Sorry I should have explained more in detail. As mentioned check the voltage of the battery. If it is below 6v or 3.0v per cell the charger will not charge it. To try and bring it back to life connect the Spektrum battery to your HOTA charger, put the charger on NIMH charge mode, set the charge rate to the lowest setting it will go to which I think is 0.1a on most chargers. Let the battery charge until it is at about 6.8v or 3.4v per cell. Once the battery is at this point connect back to the Smart charger and see if it detect the battery. If not like @Hammer Down mentioned contact HH for warranty.
I just gotta get the connector to make a charge cable to get that going. He's having fun with it but it's stressing me out.

I’ve got two of those poo-sticks myself… If my Protek Quad 610 won’t recognize them, it’s usually because they’re a hair over discharged. I’ll set it to NiMh, on .1a charge- and let it go for about a half hour, then set it back to LiPo, and let ‘em go. Haven’t had any issues with them. They’re absolutely not my favorite packs by a long shot.. Much prefer my Tekin Graphene’s, and GensAaaaace stuff.

Yeah I trickled some juice in and it's back to full functionality. Thanks dudes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back