Big Rock Smart reciver????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErockPzyk

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
So I got big rock love it , but might want a better controller like there new rugged series, do I have to get all new receivers or will it bind with the new firma stuff. I have smart batteries and I bought programmer to use and check batteries. But I don't see any were to plug programmer in. So I don't think the blx 100 is a smart esc. Reason I ask is in plan on buying typhon 6a v5 l. And I really want one controller to rule them all. Amy info please

My understanding is that the stock SLT3 radio is dual protocol (FHSS and DSMR), which is a bit unconventional. The Big Rock comes with the SLR300 receiver and will not bind with a Rugged

You will need Spektrum recievers with the DSMR protocol to bind with a Rugged or other aftermarket Spektrum radios. The SR315 would be a good choice if you don't want AVC and don't need many channels.

Edit: It seems my understanding was incorrect (The SLT3 Tx is not dual protocol, but the SR315 Rx is). See Razor RC's post below for details.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the stock SLT3 radio is dual protocol (FHSS and DSMR), which is a bit unconventional. The Big Rock comes with the SLR300 receiver and will not bind with a Rugged

You will need Spektrum recievers with the DSMR protocol to bind with a Rugged or other aftermarket Spektrum radios. The SR315 would be a good choice if you don't want AVC and don't need many channels.

Ok I see what your talking about, I believe to make big rock completely" smart" lol , I would have to get the spektrum 120 or 130 amp smart esc and the sr315 or sr515 controller. To bind up.to rugged. ???? Will the rugged bind to a typhon 6s v5 out of the box?? dose any one know.

Ok I see what your talking about, I believe to make big rock completely" smart" lol , I would have to get the spektrum 120 or 130 amp smart esc and the sr315 or sr515 controller. To bind up.to rugged. ???? Will the rugged bind to a typhon 6s v5 out of the box?? dose any one know.

I think the Typhon V5 already comes with an SR315 receiver, so it should bind to a rugged without issue if that is indeed the case.

I think the Typhon V5 already comes with an SR315 receiver, so it should bind to a rugged without issue if that is indeed the case.
Thanks so much every time I ask a stupid noob question, everyone is so helpful really appreciate it, thanks. Looks to be expensive upgraded for big rock maybe I'll wait till i have more cars/trucks lol. Let the insanity begin Haha.

Ha! You're welcome. There is no such thing as a stupid noob question.

I am still a noob myself and I got a lot of help myself about a year ago. I now know enough to help fellow members for the "easy stuff". :)

If you have the SLT3 radio and you are satisfied with it, there is no rush to upgrade. I personally upgraded to the DX5C because my Kraton V4 came with the horrible STX2. I'd still run the SLT3 if my Kraton came with it.

Ha! You're welcome. There is no such thing as a stupid noob question.

I am still a noob myself and I got a lot of help myself about a year ago. I now know enough to help fellow members for the "easy stuff". :)

If you have the SLT3 radio and you are satisfied with it, there is no rush to upgrade. I personally upgraded to the DX5C because my Kraton V4 came with the horrible STX2. I'd still run the SLT3 if my Kraton came with it.
Yeah I am satisfied for now
Guess not found a 150amp esc for under 100 on Ebay couldn't help my self I know its overkill , but hopefully getting a exb or typhon soon too.

OK, the dual-protocol thing is not very well explained by Spektrum.

The SLT3 radio is SLT only, and only works with the stock SLR300 receiver and the old Tactic receivers.
The DX radios (e.g. DX5C) only work with DSMR/DSM2 receivers.

The only thing dual-protocol is the newer SR315 receivers that are marked dual-protocol. These will do DSMR or SLT, so will work with either radio.

I have a V5 Typhon and whilst the included radio is quite sufficient, I still use my DX5C and it's a much better experience. More settings and smoother control. It's not a mandatory requirement as the stock radio is fine, but a worthy upgrade if you ever decide to go down that path.

The SLT3 radio is SLT only, and only works with the stock SLR300 receiver and the old Tactic receivers.

The only thing dual-protocol is the newer SR315 receivers that are marked dual-protocol. These will do DSMR or SLT, so will work with either radio.
Ok next noob ? If I have a fan on the motor is that consider the 1 aux on a sr315. If I want lights and other stuff would that be were a sr515 comes in. They sell kits with both.

I'm trying to use sr315/ slt3 with BLX 100a esc and I have no throttle. Is this because they're not compatible??

No, just need to calibrate the ESC with your throttle trim at the middle dot.

I tried that several times and nothing. I'm assuming it the receiver/transmitter. So if I leave the sr315, which transmitter would work with this setup? Definitely work lol

Back