Infraction Spektrum RC Firma 85 Smart ESC & 3300Kv Motor Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomstick_85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave
  3. Senton 3s
  4. Vorteks
  5. Infraction 4x4
I purchased an Infraction Mega from tower hobbies with the plan to convert it to brushless and let my son drive it. I was looking at the Spektrum 85a & 3300Kv motor combo, but am new to the hobby and don't understand the ins/outs of electronics. I'm not looking to make crazy power and do high speed runs. Just something that he can have fun with and drift around. Also, I looked at just buying a 3s from the start, but with the deal I got from tower ($160) and this combo on Amazon for $95, I'm going to be well under what a 3s would cost. Thanks for the input

I would go with a Spektrum Firma 100A ESC (my new Infraction 3s BLX comes with a 100A ESC). Going with the higher amp capacity ESC allows the ESC to operate more in the middle of its range, and it won't heat up as much. The 3300kv motor is just fine.

^^^+1
Just that I don't consider that $95. combo any great deal. Or any Spektrum ESC for that matter.
Better off with this combo. For a few coins more. More Amp overhead as @morrjr71 said is advisable, and this 120 amp ESC combo will future proof your setup to grow with. For approx. $50. more. Can't split hairs and be cheap with electrics. Buy cheap, buy twice over and more.
Buy this direct from HW. How I buy all my HW stuff. My spin.:cool:
Start with 2s, then move onto 3s as driver skills develope.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-sct-combo

Last edited:
^^^+1
Just that I don't consider that $95. combo any great deal. Or any Spektrum ESC for that matter.
Better off with this combo. For a few coins more. More Amp overhead as @morrjr71 said is advisable, and this 120 amp ESC combo will future proof your setup to grow with. For approx. $50. more. Can't plit heairs and be cheap with electrics. Buy cheap buy twice over and more.
Buy this direct from HW. How I buy all my HW stuff.

Thanks for both the replies. Would the combo you listed or if I stuck with spektrum parts be direct replacements and I could just run the truck as is from there? I'm sure other parts "could" be upgraded, but would they need to be? I've seen on other posts where people have mentioned the Mega trucks being the same as the 3s minus the motor/esc.

^^^+1
Better off with this combo. For a few coins more. More Amp overhead as @morrjr71 said is advisable, and this 120 amp ESC combo will future proof your setup to grow with. For approx. $50. more. Can't split hairs and be cheap with electrics. Buy cheap, buy twice over and more.
Buy this direct from HW. How I buy all my HW stuff. My spin.:cool:
Start with 2s, then move onto 3s as driver skills develope.

I agree with SrC: I'm not a fan of Spektrum electronics myself, and I prefer Hobbywing over Spektrum for my 3s bashers. I recommended the Firma 100A as a better choice over the 85A: it's not the best solution, but it's better than the one you mentioned.

Absolutely need 100 amp BLX ESC at a minimum, over a 85 amp. Whatever brand you go with. Or you are just wasting your time and $$.

There are differences with the Mega vs the BLX variants. More than meets the eye.
Better let your wallet know in advance. Getting the BLX would have been worth the extra coin IMHO.
Start with the BLX setup and $upgrade$ all else at your own pace. For a first rig, start out slow. Depends what you want out of it performance wise.
Just me.

Absolutely need 100 amp BLX ESC at a minimum, over a 85 amp. Whatever brand you go with. Or you are just wasting your time.

There are differences with the Mega vs the BLX variants. More than meets the eye.
Better let your wallet know in advance. Getting the BLX would have been worth the extra coin IMHO.
Start with the BLX setup and $upgrade$ all else at your own pace.
Just me.
Yup I tried to run an 80a esc in my 3s Typhon and it would cut out at wot.

I agree with SrC: I'm not a fan of Spektrum electronics myself, and I prefer Hobbywing over Spektrum for my 3s bashers. I recommended the Firma 100A as a better choice over the 85A: it's not the best solution, but it's better than the one

Absolutely need 100 amp BLX ESC at a minimum, over a 85 amp. Whatever brand you go with. Or you are just wasting your time and $$.

Start with the BLX setup and $upgrade$ all else at your own pace.
Just me.
Had I not gotten the mega for $160, I definitely would have gone the 3s route. The more I read and talk the the local hobby shop where I live, I think I'll still have less than the 3s version. I did try canceling the order a few hours after placing it and apparently it's past the point of canceling and there was no mention of returning it. Would I be able to use the hobbywing kit or the spektrum kit and just upgrade other parts as needed or am I going to have to upgrade driveline components as well before I can even drive it?

My rule for Spektrum electronics is to go at least one size up. If they think a 85 will work, get the 100a or the 120a. I think that’s why folks don’t like the Spektrum stuff, as they go too low. I have never had an issue with their stuff when I go one level up. I’m putting a 150a Spektrum in my 4s Kraton when I eventually upgrade it from stock.

Although the 100a esc / 3200kv motor is the preferred choice I am currently running the 85a/3300kv motor in my Infraction that I keep at work. On 2s lipo with a 21t pinion and the stock 55t spur the Infraction mega will go 30mph no problem.

Bonus being you can just move the stock pinion over to the 3300kv since they're both 1/8 shaft motors. Technically you could even get away without changing motor mounts or adding the high speed bearing, but I would definitely recommend both as funding allows.

Last edited:
My rule for Spektrum electronics is to go at least one size up. If they think a 85 will work, get the 100a or the 120a. I think that’s why folks don’t like the Spektrum stuff, as they go too low. I have never had an issue with their stuff when I go one level up. I’m putting a 150a Spektrum in my 4s Kraton when I eventually upgrade it from stock.
I agree with going one size up: in my Typhon 3s I have a Surpass 2850 motor with 18T pinion, and I upgraded the stock 100A ESC to a 130A ESC because my 100A ESC was getting too hot when running larger tires. The larger amperage ESC solved the heat issues.

I kind of agree. It is always safe to get the larger ESC while running lower voltage Lipos. Will be more efficient and run cooler. More Amp Overhead.
The only main advantage to getting 3s/Spektrum Gear out the box, is that you get the 2 year warranty on the Spektrum ESC and motor. And you will most likely need that Spektrum Warranty somewhere in 2 years. ( with receipt in hand)
But The Spektrum stuff gotten Retail, not so.
You don't need to keep it Spektrum. Any Brand will work. CC and HW are way better electrics. These are RC Hobby grade components and all are interchangeable.

:cool:

Had I not gotten the mega for $160, I definitely would have gone the 3s route. The more I read and talk the the local hobby shop where I live, I think I'll still have less than the 3s version. I did try canceling the order a few hours after placing it and apparently it's past the point of canceling and there was no mention of returning it. Would I be able to use the hobbywing kit or the spektrum kit and just upgrade other parts as needed or am I going to have to upgrade driveline components as well before I can even drive it?
IIRC, you might need the 3s slipper assembly, a different pinion, and a different spur because the Mega is geared differently from the BLX. Others here on the forum who have done the conversion can help you better than I can.

The 3s and mega infraction use the same slipper assembly, mega is a 55t spur while the 3s is a 50t spur.

Thanks for all the help and info. Some of what is being said is way over my head, but I'm learning as I go. For the time being, I'll probably go with one of the 3s Hobbywing kits or go up with the spektrum components, whichever I can find in stock and then have fun and replace things as needed

Thanks for all the help and info. Some of what is being said is way over my head, but I'm learning as I go. For the time being, I'll probably go with one of the 3s Hobbywing kits or go up with the spektrum components, whichever I can find in stock and then have fun and replace things as needed
Learning as you go is how I did it. Best advice I can give though, but a to not always go with the cheapest option for a good many of the times you will need going forth. For example, if you know before buying a vehicle that you plan to upgrade it rather soon in its lifecycle, consider buying it as a roller or it’s WXB version. Also, look on the classified section here for parts and electronics you may need/want, along with places like Jenny’s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back