Soft sided 6s batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo412

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
I've recently picked up several spektrum and smc 6s soft sided packs. As shown in the pictures, they have quite a gap up top by the wires. Am I just being paranoid or should I tape or silicone that gap before running them in wet or dirty conditions with the mojave? If I should tape or silicone the gap closed, will that hurt heat escaping when running hard? Thanks.

20200102_234118.jpg

20200102_234025.jpg

20200102_234004.jpg

Never paid much attention to it. Anyone else have a thought?

I see what you mean, I don't think anything will happen. I have also filled up the gap on some of my batteries with hot glue. Stick the gun real well in between the jacket and cables, squeeze the trigger until glue comes out of it.

I have done it on some of my crawlers that go neck down in the water and have also use none in similar scenarios. Never had any problems, does not hurt to be extra cautious.

I would try to close the gap with electrical tape as well as you can. I guess it wouldn't hurt to use some good quality waterproof silicone like 3M.

Never did anything there, but I do like to put an extra layer of clear shrink wrap on my batteries when they're new. It makes them a little more solid, and you can remove that layer to make it look pretty fresh again. my LHS has rolls of shrink wrap "tube" for batteries, from back in the day when people used to build their own Nimh packs.

Perhaps use sensor safe rtv to fill the hole. I'm assuming there's a circuit board in there and normal rtv/silicone puts off acidic gas as it cures. Sensor safe RTV doesn't.

Sensor safe RTV was something I always had on hand for sealing up nitro engines and anything else I wanted to keep water out of, which was usually electronic.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81422-Sensor-Safe-High-Temp-Silicone/dp/B000AANXHC
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Maximum-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B0002UEN1U
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80022-Sensor-Safe-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEOKK

I usually bought the red stuff for nitro engines as it's for high temp, but that's not necessary for battery packs really.

If you want an easy to remove water tight solution, look into duct seal. It’s a few bucks for a pound. It’s a putty that is used for many types of weatherproofing like cable tv contractors for exterior wall penetrations.

I have had that with some packs in the past, I think it did help them to vent as they never puffed but you could smell something was going on ... anyhow I used duck tape to prevent any objects to get in there but I doubt you will be able to completely seal it off - you could also get some shrink tubing and do it yourself at the front ...

I think the clear shrink battery tubing is the ticket. It was mentioned above but forgot about it until it was mentioned. I'm gone to get some and do mine myself. If it's not 100% waterproof, so be it.

Dang. This forum always amazes me with the knowledge of its members! Great job. I would have never thought of any of these solutions. ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back