Soldering IC3 & IC5 connectors without melting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granite Guy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I just had to solder the IC3 connector back on my Granite Mega charger. It's the factory wall wart type charger which has two tiny wires. I tinned them, and the connector pins first. Just tinning the pins was enough to melt the housing and the pin was then crooked.

Is it possible to remove the pins from the housing to solder them, or what's the trick? I've got a lot of experience soldering, this isn't my first rodeo, but this is just plain dumb.

I know that this reply doesn’t help you much, BUT the best way that I have found is to ditch them all together and switch to XT30, XT60 AND XT90. I have been soldering connectors for years and I cannot stand the IC connectors for the same reason that you do.

I truly am sorry for your frustrations. MAYBE someone else knows the trick… I just want to keep bashing!!

I recommend the exact opposite. I have multiple ESCs fry from the MASSIVE arc from connecting XT90 connectors to high discharge batteries. Go with XT60s for crawlers, but for anthing that is higher discharge, you need something better, and IC5 are great. Remember that they are designed to have the connector body slipped over the leads, then the bullets soldered on, then the connector body slipped back up to cover the bullets.

Worth noting, if you plug it into a female connector and then solder, it’s more resistant to melting.

You've got to work quick, the best way to work quick is with a large tip and highest heat. I'm a fan of the chisel style tips personally.

Is the tip in good shape and clean and holds solder when you tin it? When a tip is spent it's just going to make you work too hard to get results.

So I just had to solder the IC3 connector back on my Granite Mega charger. It's the factory wall wart type charger which has two tiny wires. I tinned them, and the connector pins first. Just tinning the pins was enough to melt the housing and the pin was then crooked.

Is it possible to remove the pins from the housing to solder them, or what's the trick? I've got a lot of experience soldering, this isn't my first rodeo, but this is just plain dumb.
Best bet is to have a spare connector of the opposite gender to hold the pins you are soldering to still while they are hot.

I recommend the exact opposite. I have multiple ESCs fry from the MASSIVE arc from connecting XT90 connectors to high discharge batteries. Go with XT60s for crawlers, but for anthing that is higher discharge, you need something better, and IC5 are great. Remember that they are designed to have the connector body slipped over the leads, then the bullets soldered on, then the connector body slipped back up to cover the bullets.
That’s why I use XT90 anti spark… ;)

Yeah, I've fried ESCs with the "antispark" ones
Really? This is the first I have heard that.. I tried searching for info and only found info in support of using anti spark plugs to protect the ESC’s, especially the capacitors of the ESC. Also, the sparking erodes the terminals which can lead to even bigger problems.

I would love to learn more about this problem. Do you have any links that talks about it? Thank you! I am an old “ish” dog, but not above learning new things!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back