Soldering required for ec5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abh16

Reaction score
When purchasing a new motor/esc combo, I understand a connector has to be added before connection to an ec5 lipo battery is possible. Can I connect an ec5 connector to the wires without soldering? Is there another way?

Also, how important is it to run a separate battery for the servo? The cheap amazon servos just connect directly to the receiver while a higher end servo like promodeler recommend direct power from a battery. Is this just for large servos that need additional 2s battery pack?

Soldering the battery connection is the only way. I've had a local hobby shop solder them for me, before I was confident in my soldering skills. They charged $2 per solder joint. If that isn't an option, you could look at getting an ESC from a place like Jenny's. They take them out of new RC's so the connector is already on them.

Also, how important is it to run a separate battery for the servo? The cheap amazon servos just connect directly to the receiver while a higher end servo like promodeler recommend direct power from a battery. Is this just for large servos that need additional 2s battery pack?
Well, Arrma, Traxxas, and many others sell rigs that have no separate battery and use the ESC to power the servo.

You have other powerful servos, and most the YT videos I watch on Arrma rigs do not run a second battery for a beefier servo. ProModeler is a good one, and I have 3 (Infraction, Kraton EXB, Typhon TLR), and they run off the ESC in each of those rigs I have oversized the ESC or better than stock ESC...we know he (John) does not recommend that so do not use me as a guide :)

Some of my other rigs have Savox and better ESC, no second battery.... just my $0.02 keep asking questions.

When purchasing a new motor/esc combo, I understand a connector has to be added before connection to an ec5 lipo battery is possible. Can I connect an ec5 connector to the wires without soldering? Is there another way?
You can buy an esc that already has connectors and buy a matching battery like the Hobbywing Max8 which has XT90 connectors. Or as mentioned get a Spektrum esc from Jennys RC which has IC5 connectors already on them but won't have a warranty or as many settings adjustments as a Hobbywing or Castle esc.

I didn't want to do soldering when I got into this, but reluctantly decided to give it a go. I learned how to solder using Traxxas connectors because I didn't know any better, I can promise you EC5 connectors are WAY easier to solder. It was hard at first and took A LONG TIME because I was afraid to mess something up. Now I'm glad I took the time to learn. I don't even think twice about what connector is on an ESC, if it needs to be changed I can do it 10 minutes and that includes the time it takes to get everything out and put it all away. Soldering iron is also handy for removing screws that won't come free from loctite.

Personally, I feel that most of the servos that require a direct battery connection are much more powerful than is needed for most Arrma vehicles. I think a lot of folks using those servos are doing so more for bragging rights than out of necessity. There are plenty of fast servos out there with 500 or more oz-in of torque that don't require a separate battery connection. My favorite is the Powerhobby 729MBL (link below).

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-729mbl.html

If you purchase your ESC from Radiocontrolpower they will solder the connector of your choice on the ESC, but as others said it’s better to learn how to solder in the long run.

2 YouTube videos and I've been soldering most of my stuff since.

Soldering the battery connection is the only way. I've had a local hobby shop solder them for me, before I was confident in my soldering skills. They charged $2 per solder joint. If that isn't an option, you could look at getting an ESC from a place like Jenny's. They take them out of new RC's so the connector is already on them.

I've bought enough stuff from my local shop that they did several for me at just the cost of the connectors before I bought soldering stuff. Always a solid idea to be on good terms with the LHS guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back