Are HW QS8 adapters to EC5 safe to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam

I have read ESC adapters are not good or advised for high-voltage rigs. If I changed my ESC from a Firma 160A to a HW Max5 pictured below for a Losi DBXL-E 2.0.... If this safe to using a QS8 adapter to my dual 4S batteries that are EC5?

All my batteries are EC5. Is the below a safe setup?

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.14.42 PM.png

Fam

I have read ESC adapters are not good or advised for high-voltage rigs. If I changed my ESC from a Firma 160A to a HW Max5 pictured below for a Losi DBXL-E 2.0.... If this safe to using a QS8 adapter to my dual 4S batteries that are EC5?

All my batteries are EC5. Is the below a safe setup?

View attachment 352114
Safe uhhh... sure, but not ideal. Depending on the motor you're gonna be pushing the limit of EC5's amperage pretty regularly in a DBXLe. Ideally you'd just replace the battery plugs with QS8 and never think about it again, but the worst that will happen is the EC5 plugs start to warp or you have higher resistance and ripple current than you wanna see which over time will upset your ESC.

All that being said I'm still running EC5/SC5 on my Outcast 8s and they are fine, but I have the 5690 motor with the Max6. I've seen it put out 380 amps already on peaks and averaging well over the current limit of EC5 and I haven't melted anything yet :p

Oh also those adapters are about as good as you can hope for in terms of low resistance. The absolute worst ones are those crappy amazon ones that have two connectors bullet cups soldered directly together. They have higher resistance than a proper seated high thickness (low?) gauge wire and are really bad for your ESC outside of crawler applications.

If anything I'd think 12S would be better with EC5 over 8s since in theory you wouldn't need as many amps to push the same vehicle hard.
excellent point. :cool:

Safe uhhh... sure, but not ideal. Depending on the motor you're gonna be pushing the limit of EC5's amperage pretty regularly in a DBXLe. Ideally you'd just replace the battery plugs with QS8 and never think about it again, but the worst that will happen is the EC5 plugs start to warp or you have higher resistance and ripple current than you wanna see which over time will upset your ESC.

All that being said I'm still running EC5/SC5 on my Outcast 8s and they are fine, but I have the 5690 motor with the Max6. I've seen it put out 380 amps already on peaks and averaging well over the current limit of EC5 and I haven't melted anything yet :p

Oh also those adapters are about as good as you can hope for in terms of low resistance. The absolute worst ones are those crappy amazon ones that have two connectors bullet cups soldered directly together. They have higher resistance than a proper seated high thickness (low?) gauge wire and are really bad for your ESC outside of crawler applications.

I am not a big power person. I plan to use the 780kv stock motor, but I will increase it from 13T to 16T; nothing crazy. I hate to get new batteries for one rig.

I like the feedback. Thank you. I do not understand all the science with all this....hope the Max5 G1 with the QS8 and adapter would be fine for my two 4S batteries...

More thoughts are welcomed!

I do it all the time, even on my 12s rigs and never had a problem.

You have something similar with Max5 or something else splitting off one QS8 connection...

I am not a big power person. I plan to use the 780kv stock motor, but I will increase it from 13T to 16T; nothing crazy. I hate to get new batteries for one rig.

I like the feedback. Thank you. I do not understand all the science with all this....hope the Max5 G1 with the QS8 and adapter would be fine for my two 4S batteries...

More thoughts are welcomed!

You have something similar with Max5 or something else splitting off one QS8 connection...
I've had xlx2/max5's with 1 qs8 that I used a qs8 to ec5 y adapter for 8s. I've also used esc's with double qs8's that I needed to use qs8 to ec5 adapters for each connector to get to 8s or 12s. I've never had a problem either way.

I've had xlx2/max5's with 1 qs8 that I used a qs8 to ec5 y adapter for 8s. I've also used esc's with double qs8's that I needed to use qs8 to ec5 adapters for each connector to get to 8s or 12s. I've never had a problem either way.
Thx for the reply Boss!

I’m thinking of getting max5 running w 780kv also

I have a bunch of 4s batteries all ec5 and don’t want to change them over

Would it be better to solder ec5 so there’s no adapter at all

Or solder Q8 on then use adapter to ec5

TIA

TIA
Less adapters is always preferable, though I understand why some use them. I only use them for charging as it's a low current situation but generally speaking I have everything on QS8 or 8mm bullets. Hell, I'd hard solder everything together without connectors if it wasn't such a pain taking it all apart again to charge the batteries. :LOL:

It should be fine.
If it were an XLX2 pulling 600amps that would be a different story.

You can always shoot the wires and connectors with an IR Temp gun to make sure.

Less adapters is always preferable, though I understand why some use them. I only use them for charging as it's a low current situation but generally speaking I have everything on QS8 or 8mm bullets. Hell, I'd hard solder everything together without connectors if it wasn't such a pain taking it all apart again to charge the batteries. :LOL:

Thanks Gents....totally get it.

Buying the Max5 from RadioControlPower site, it is used for savings but how they build them only with one QS8 and they will still warranty it over years they have been good to me email, chats, etc. If I see a problem I will change it but I am happy with the stock motor after yesterday run just want to go from 13T to 16T and live there. Rig that size all I need very fun on the ground no air action with this one.

(y)

TIA
RCP gave me a good deal on the Max5 G1 it is used but with a warranty

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126089898559?var=427066739607

I bought this one on their site. They threw in the cat pack and the 8awg QS8 to EC5 adapter and fan. I always add their fans to my rigs so was an excellent bundle deal for me for $230.

Back