Kraton Somehow the motor wires on my kraton 4s burnt off just from running the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typicalrcenjoyer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
It was the blue wire coming straight from the motor and it burnt it self off from the connector and will no longer run properly. Many times before that happened it was also burning through the tape holding the fan connector and in the pic you can see I used zip ties and it STILL burned through those. I have never seen this before and am not sure what I should do, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

image.jpg

My first guess is loose bullet connector. If they aren’t well connected they can get really hot. One of mine melted once. They can loosen up. To tighten, you spread out the prongs. I always keep them tight now.

Second guess would be a frayed/exposed wire. I have rubber to cushion the ESC/motor wires because over time they rub the body, heat sink, etc., get frayed and fry electronics. But you probably would have noticed an exposed wire if the problem was ongoing. (P.S. I never use zip ties anymore. IMO zip ties often do more damage and cut through wire sheathing faster than anything else.)

Last edited:
Melting motor or esc wires are always bad. If it was burning the tape before, that was already a sign of a bad solder connection.
Only thing left is unsoldering the bad connectors and correctly soldering new ones.
Tip: to keep you from making a mess with the modern no-lead solder, don't use that.
Try to find some lead solder. It is banned in many countries, because lead is extremely toxic, but the alternatives suck.
Or be a dork like me and melt an airgun pellet into your solder.
We can't solder, but we can still poison our environment with lead pellets?????

It was the blue wire coming straight from the motor and it burnt it self off from the connector and will no longer run properly. Many times before that happened it was also burning through the tape holding the fan connector and in the pic you can see I used zip ties and it STILL burned through those. I have never seen this before and am not sure what I should do, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

View attachment 355683

Looks like a half-azz poor soldering job done on a Friday night shift... That overheated, melted stuff and eventually separated.

Contact HH and get a warranty claim going to get it replaced ASAP.

Thanks for all the ideas, it’s pretty much a new car as I got it basically right around Christmas, and everything is stock, running on some Zeee 5200 MaH 2s lipos. I haven’t tapered with it too much except stiffening the suspension which doesn’t have any correlation to the motor (at least I don’t think so) and I’ll probably make a warranty claim and if that doesn’t work out I’ll take it in to my local hobby sho and see what can be done. Thanks again

And fyi the pic isn’t too clear, the motor end of the bullet connector is what came apart, with it still in the esc end. I think the motor just got so hot to where the solder melted and it came apart but I’m not fully sure

Thanks for all the ideas, it’s pretty much a new car as I got it basically right around Christmas, and everything is stock, running on some Zeee 5200 MaH 2s lipos. I haven’t tapered with it too much except stiffening the suspension which doesn’t have any correlation to the motor (at least I don’t think so) and I’ll probably make a warranty claim and if that doesn’t work out I’ll take it in to my local hobby sho and see what can be done. Thanks again

And fyi the pic isn’t too clear, the motor end of the bullet connector is what came apart, with it still in the esc end. I think the motor just got so hot to where the solder melted and it came apart but I’m not fully sure

Yes.
Contact Horizon Hobby 's Customer Care and they should take care of it for you.
They'll ask for a couple of pics and a copy of your receipt to get the process going.

Good luck and keep us posted.
👍

Thanks for the help, I just filed a warranty claim so I’ll keep you guys posted, thanks

And what sucks is that because it is the wires the motor won’t even do anything, and my senton 3s just isn’t as wild and fun as my kraton so there’s not much rc’ing I can do for the next few days :/

So I thought I didn’t get any response from product support but turns out the email went to junk 🙄 so they got me covered and I don’t have to buy a new one 😁

Positive outcome.
👍

Back