Limitless Speed guy needs help with drag.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badmofreaker

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I built a limitless v2 drag car with an xlx2, castle 2400kv on 6sparallel, etc,it's set up good but I'm having a hard time going straight, it's spinning hard. I changed settings on my dx5 pro controller to slow throttle speed and changed the expo,etc. I have to turn the throttle down to 70 percent but then you don't go as fast. Does anyone have any input. I also tried sticky for the tires but it cuts the esc with even small pinion. I would like to see better no. Here's a pic.

20230730_135229.jpg

20230730_135320.jpg

20230730_135340.jpg

Screenshot_20230730_095120_GNSS PA.jpg

Do an alignment on your rig. If zeroing out your toe and camber doesn't help, check for any minute resistance in your hubs which could be 'dragging' a wheel and skid steering the car. If that fails, tighten up the rear suspension and lower the front to increase down force. If none of those work, consider picking up a radio with stability management like Traxxas' TSM or Spektrums AVC.

Do you have a knowledgeable LHS? I am lucky with that. But 1hr away. Ask there. If not try YouTube. You can play with the spur and pinion gears. You seem to need a system with a gyro. Like said above. Traxxas has a good Drag Slash system. Mine always go straight. Go luck. From Michael.

Get rid of the foams and get some good rubber drag tires?
Tried that, they blow up,lol
Do an alignment on your rig. If zeroing out your toe and camber doesn't help, check for any minute resistance in your hubs which could be 'dragging' a wheel and skid steering the car. If that fails, tighten up the rear suspension and lower the front to increase down force. If none of those work, consider picking up a radio with stability management like Traxxas' TSM or Spektrums AVC.
It drives straight, it's just hard to go straight when you're spinning so much,I guess what I need is to get the settings right on my controller, which I tried many times

It drives straight, it's just hard to go straight when you're spinning so much,I guess what I need is to get the settings right on my controller, which I tried many times
Sounds like a controller with throttle curve and stability management will do you good then. You can set a curve relating to throttle amount at various inputs and prevent the wheels from breaking loose before full throttle.

Sounds like a controller with throttle curve and stability management will do you good then. You can set a curve relating to throttle amount at various inputs and prevent the wheels from breaking loose before full throttle.
Like the Noble NB4. The Perfect Pass does the same thing, but it’s for speed running not drag. I’m sure it would work, but you wouldn’t be winning any races.
I’d get a good gyro and train my throttle finger a bit better. Because when the entire run is only a couple of seconds then throttle delay would not be your friend.

I am not a drag guy but I do know a few things.
1. Foam tires are best. You can try tire sauce to help the grip.
2. The perfect pass / Noble NB4 throttle control does help.
3. A Futaba gyro (not any other brand) will help a ton assuming you are allowed to use it (if competing )
4. Good alignment makes all the difference

I have a futaba gyro in my speed runner and I can peg the throttle 100% to purposely spin the tires and it stays straight.

I am not a drag guy but I do know a few things.
1. Foam tires are best. You can try tire sauce to help the grip.
2. The perfect pass / Noble NB4 throttle control does help.
3. A Futaba gyro (not any other brand) will help a ton assuming you are allowed to use it (if competing )
4. Good alignment makes all the difference

I have a futaba gyro in my speed runner and I can peg the throttle 100% to purposely spin the tires and it stays straight.
You know way more than me, that’s for sure. I’m still trying to get my head around using foams for drag. The only times I’ve used them I was immediately struck by how much less grip they have than the GRP’s.
Have you tried GRP’s? Just curious, as @LibertyMKiii said foams are the way to go anyway. But I can’t imagine a GRP letting go in two or three seconds at under 100mph when guys are taking them to into the 130’s and beyond pretty routinely.
But I definitely don’t know diddly about a good drag setup.

You know way more than me, that’s for sure. I’m still trying to get my head around using foams for drag. The only times I’ve used them I was immediately struck by how much less grip they have than the GRP’s.

Foam tire behavior is interesting because you can be spinning them to the point of seeing a cloud of foam dust going in the air, yet the car is accelerating better with them than what it can do with rubber tires.

I have to assume that a small amount of slip helps the car get into the power band and leaves just enough traction to do what it needs to.
All I do know is the records for drag are all set with foams. Rubber tires seem to always be lagging around 1 second or 1/2 second slower.

Have you tried GRP’s? Just curious, as @LibertyMKiii said foams are the way to go anyway. But I can’t imagine a GRP letting go in two or three seconds at under 100mph when guys are taking them to into the 130’s and beyond pretty routinely.
But I definitely don’t know diddly about a good drag setup.
I know they do make Drag specific Foamies. OP already tried Tire Prep with no results. Doubt the tires are the issue.
A standalone SkyRC Steering Gyro is a simple add on. They work great. Have several of of them. No need to change out the whole Radio at all!!!!!:unsure: Makes no sense.
For Drag running , PerfectPass Thr. Limiter is no good. It only works against your 132 foot Trap speeds. PP is for Speed running over a much longer distance, to prevent possible Amp cutting. For drag, you need full immediate Power. A bit of Radio Throttle Expo can help off the line much better. It is also possible the Wheelie bar is not dialed properly.
Try the Sky RC Gyro first. I feel you need it anyway. A given.
Are you running Diff lockers at the front and rear????

I had a bad experience with cheap gyros where the car would go into death wobbles above 70 mph. This is why I recommended the Futaba. Unlike other gyros the Futaba has a heading tracking function that is really good.
Maybe the SkyRc works ok?

I have heard and seen people use the throttle control devices like the PP or Noble radio with success, but you are setting it to 1.5 sec or something like that, but in the end learning how to do this with your finger will be best.

Last edited:
I had a bad experience with cheap gyros where the car would go into death wobbles above 70 mph. This is why I recommended the Futaba. Unlike other gyros the Futaba has a heading tracking function that is really good.
Maybe the SkyRc works ok?

I have heard and seen people use the throttle control devices like the PP or Noble radio with success, but you are setting it to 1.5 sec or something like that, but in the end learning how to do this with your finger will be best.
SKY RC and most any Gyro, even Specktrum's, have "Heading Hold" tracking. It resets once you come to a full stop, the rig being still, then you flick the Steering once and it centers..... then Heading hold is enabled. Once you counter steer, however, you disable heading hold. I never had oscillation issues with my (3) Sky RC Gyro's. It has 3 curves available based on the type of running you do. With Spektrum AVC's there was always an intermittent issue.(n)
The Futaba Gyro is known to be the best. (y)
Many oscillation issues are from extreme high gain settings or even a bad incompatible servo.. Some servos just don't get along well with some gyros. Even a badly mounted Gyro/AVC Rx will cause oscillation issues. Need some patience with most any Gyro. Dialing them to get it just where you want it. My radio has OTF control of my Gyro.

Last edited:
SKY RC and most any Gyro, even Specktrum's, have "Heading Hold" tracking. It resets once you come to a full stop, the rig being still, then you flick the Steering once and it centers..... then Heading hold is enabled. Once you counter steer, however, you disable heading hold. I never had oscillation issues with my (3) Sky RC Gyro's. It has 3 curves available based on the type of running you do. With Spektrum AVC's there was always an intermittent issue.(n)
The Futaba Gyro is known to be the best. (y)
Many oscillation issues are from extreme high gain settings or even a bad incompatible servo.. Some servos just don't get along well with some gyros. Even a badly mounted Gyro/AVC Rx will cause oscillation issues. Need some patience with most any Gyro. Dialing them to get it just where you want it. My radio has OTF control of my Gyro.
I know the one built into the Radiolink was not ideal for higher speeds.
It seemed fine 0-60 but at 70+ it was not good.

I have my futaba setup on ch.3 of the radio and absolutely love it. I couldn't imagine changing at this point.

My Lim with the RL R7FG dually antenna/Gyro gets me fine to 98 Mph. :unsure: And I'm running the Cheap AMZ DS3235 servo no less. At 7.4 v BEC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back