Spektrum receiver failed twice.. don't know what's happening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek2k

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I run a stock Typhon 6s V5 with the Spektrum electronics and SLT3 radio. Ran 15-20 packs since I bought it this spring, worked all well until my receiver failed.. I replaced it with an old SRX200 and STX2 radio and the buggy ran perfectly fine (expect this radio is junk).

I claimed warranty on the failed receiver, got the new one today, installed it, bind it, did calibration and end points and suddenly, it stopped working again.. receiver LED wont turn on, ESC is flashing red. I didn't even run the buggy, it stayed on my workbench the whole time.

Installed back the old SRX200 and STX2 radio, runs like a charm.. no issues whatsoever.

What's going on?
Battery is at storage voltage. Radio batteries are full.
I didnt reverse connections and wires are in good shape, not damage visible, no burn smell.

Picture of the new receiver I got today. Took the picture before it stopped working.
I didnt touch anything for it stop working.. It was working and then it wasnt.

20210714_230459506_iOS.jpg

Did you try binding it to the transmitter? I'd try that first then if you get it to bind recalibrate your transmitter and you should be good to go. Otherwise give Horizon a call and see if they can walk you through troubleshooting it. Also try with the servo unplugged as if you have a bad servo or servo is going out it could brown out your receiver.

Did you try binding it to the transmitter? I'd try that first then if you get it to bind recalibrate your transmitter and you should be good to go. Otherwise give Horizon a call and see if they can walk you through troubleshooting it. Also try with the servo unplugged as if you have a bad servo or servo is going out it could brown out your receiver.
Initially when I first try my new SR515 receiver, I was able to bind by cliking 3 times the button.
Then it failed, don't know why.
Then, impossible to bind again. I click 3 times on the receiver button but nothing happens.

I tried without the servo connected but the receiver, again, seems dead.

Can a bad servo burn a receiver? I'm pretty sure it's possible but, how can it be working just fine with this old SRX200 and STX2 radio if it's the cause?

No a bad servo does not damage the receiver. It causes the receiver to malfunction if it's bad but if you disconnected the servo that is out of the loop. Make sure that your throttle trim is neutral at binding and stays there.

No a bad servo does not damage the receiver. It causes the receiver to malfunction if it's bad but if you disconnected the servo that is out of the loop. Make sure that your throttle trim is neutral at binding and stays there.
Maybe my ESC is giving a fatal BEC.. but this older SRX200 receiver doesn't seems to be affected by it.

I beg to differ: I had a fried Traxxas micro-servo take out a channel on my FlySky receiver. I had to move the replacement servo to another channel to get it to work.

I guess I stand corrected, and no answer is universal in this case.
I doubt these were stock receivers, though. The pins/traces can handle up to 10A on the Spektrum receivers, and an ESC typically has a 5A BEC. If you use a Castle BEC or others that can supply more current they will go up in smoke as well.

Initially when I first try my new SR515 receiver, I was able to bind by cliking 3 times the button.
Then it failed, don't know why.
Then, impossible to bind again. I click 3 times on the receiver button but nothing happens.

I tried without the servo connected but the receiver, again, seems dead.

Can a bad servo burn a receiver? I'm pretty sure it's possible but, how can it be working just fine with this old SRX200 and STX2 radio if it's the cause?
I looked up the binding procedure for the SR515 online, and there is no mention of pushing a button three times. The manual can be found at:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMSR515-Manual-EN.pdf

Try the correct binding procedure on page 5 of the manual and see if it works.

I looked up the binding procedure for the SR515 online, and there is no mention of pushing a button three times. The manual can be found at:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMSR515-Manual-EN.pdf

Try the correct binding procedure on page 5 of the manual and see if it works.
I haven't taken a look as I am currently on the road(stopped ofcourse in traffic 🤥). But I believe that 3 push button method is used on AVC enabled spektrum receivers to "properly" disable the AVC completely in the beginning of the binding process, if I'm not mistaken. I remember the manual for my v2 infraction mentioned something like this as I've recently been a bit overwhelmed with spektrum problems.🤯🤏🍻

Yes, there is a 3 button sequence on Gyro receivers but not on the SR215,315, 515 etc.
Clicking it 3 times is plain wrong and no idea what it will do. At least the LHS got some money out of it.

I had a bad working servo blow up 3 receivers
2 bad servos and one bad BEC within the blx185 150 esc caused be to burn up atleast 6 rx's all within a week about 2 years ago...most frustrating issue I've ever had to deal with and that was after getting advice from HH(called in hopes fir a warranty replacement after the esc/bad BEC took out the first rx in 1 rig but weren't willing to assist although 100% textbook warranty claim) as well as tge advice from my local shop bit in the end allow this could have been avoided if HH would have honored my 2 warranty claims for a bad servo in my kraton v3 and bad BEC/esc installed in an outcast... I have since been very hesitant to call Hah for any of the legitimate issues I've had since tgat last experience and since I was down a couple servos, an esc and 5 or 6 recievers from attempting to troubleshoot to tge best of my ability... unfortunately I'm still experiencing issues with the rpektrum rtr electronics here and there but as for the O.P.'s issue, I can only say that tge two most common issues causing issues tgat do not allow tge binding/proper functionality of an rx in these arrma rigs seems to still be a bad servo or internal bec from all that I've experienced/ researched etc etc. Just make sure you follow all the proper steps suggested by tge helpful guys in this forum as well as your manual and from there if not working still call HH or replace (do not burn out 5 rx's due to a bad experience with horizon as it really cost me alot by troubleshooting in ways that at tge time I was only so knowledgeable but did follow instructions I was given🤯🤬🤏). Love my arrmas but I truly hope my next attempt to contact HH will go much differently than the last. Good luck and hope you get it squared away🍻 sry for the rant

Dump ALL the Spektrum gear. Servo and all. I prefer Rollers not RTR rigs for this reason. Less money. Use my own electrics. You won't buy twice in this way.
I never had any warranty issues. Just at some point you become a slave to the Failing electrics. Then dealing with HH all over again, and again....
They can wear you out. I think that is by design?? Best to move on to HW , CC and upgrade radios and servos at some point.
You pay for what you get. RTR Electrics are made to a low price point. Resulting QC suffers. Is what it is . Any RTR brand.
But Arrma and Axial do have the best warranty in the industry right now. 2 years is unheard of. They are usually generous and make exceptions here and there . Just always need your receipt. Sometimes a few pictures. They rarely ever ask for the broken part sent back. They are NOT repairable anyway. They are not tech savy. Need to know what you are talking about with them, part numbers in hand. They will just push parts at you. Easier for them. The warranty is their claim to fame probably.

Last edited:
Dump ALL the Spektrum gear. Servo and all. I prefer Rollers not RTR rigs for this reason. Less money. Use my own electrics. You won't buy twice in this way.
I never had any warranty issues. Just at some point you become a slave to the Failing electrics. Then dealing with HH all over again, and again....
They can wear you out. I think that is by design?? Best to move on to HW , CC and upgrade radios and servos at some point.
You pay for what you get. RTR Electrics are made to a low price point. Resulting QC suffers. Is what it is . Any RTR brand.
But Arrma and Axial do have the best warranty in the industry right now. 2 years is unheard of. They are usually generous and make exceptions here and there . Just always need your receipt. Sometimes a few pictures. They rarely ever ask for the broken part sent back. They are NOT repairable anyway. They are not tech savy. Need to know what you are talking about with them, part numbers in hand. They will just push parts at you. Easier for them. The warranty is their claim to fame probably.
I actually am using te rtr electronics that came with the arrma 1/8 & 1/7 rigs prior to the exb's were released. Even prior to that point I was buying hobbywing for the most part and I do use the dx5c with knock off rx's (atleast I'm niw using the knock offs due to better reliability and price in comparison to what spektrum wants for their most basic of recievers that aren't even water resistant/proof so why buy them especially if I don't use the AVC in all but 2 of my rigs on occasion) but as much as I agree HH was at one point very good to their consumer but the last time I personally felt as if (with all the evidence and requested info/proof of purchase videos etc) my in depth description (very in depth) as to the lengths I went in order to try and resolve my issues on my own/out of my own pocket as much as I could, was simply taken as a "this guys going to fix it one way or another so let's see if he'll jump through more hoops than he already had willingly and as per requested" but maybe it was just the representative I managed to get on the phone that day. I mean they were trying to tell me that between the dozen new boxed retail rigs I bought and have upgraded etc since that I must prove which escs servos and recievers came from which vehicles since the stickers washed away/peeled off which was the "only way to identify the electronics were from X model" which really got under my skin... anyways you make alot of good points inwhich I not only agree with but have been practicing for years bow myself as well but... now I've got a cache off trash electronics that are legitimately faulty and caused collateral damage and in all honesty, I don't want to wait on the phone for an hour just to officially loose faith in HH/arrma products for the last time but I may just give it one more poop as I just received a 1600AT rx (whatever the on road 1/7 scale arrma's come with stock) but I bought it intentionally for the 1 rig I actually use AVC with when running just for it to be DOA so... one more shot and hopefully I'll get a good rep who understands what it's like to invest alot of my rc budget into arrma alone and will appreciate the consumer much more than the last experience I had awhile back. I'm curious about tge warranty of Spektrum vs Arrma/HH because spektrum states that their products if bought individually have a 1 year warranty apposed to the two years offered when purchasing a rtr from horizon on the electronics specifically... I happen to buy the soektrum 1600AT rx from horizon but it's technically not arrma unless HH owns spektrum now too...? Guess I should look into that before calling lol but appreciate tfe tips on surviving the stress of rtr problems and electronics that will make a newcomer run away from this hobby as quick as they came in but not me...just adapt and prevail without going too far overbudget ofcourse (not sure what a budget is but is sounds finally mature🤷‍♂️ so I'll allow my wife to remind me come the end of month lol) 🍻

just started a new thread of my own - having this exact issue

did you ever figure it out?

If I post links the forum flags it for mod review and won't be visible. But if you look under the Electronics forum it should be on the first page. Or look at threads started by me. It's the only one - I'm a new user.

@ek2k if you are still around I am also curious what component caused all this!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back