strange servo issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Dylan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
Hi all, I have a hobbystar servo in MT10 that will not turn with car turned off. However, it works totally fine when the power comes on. It also will sit off center (as pictured) when off power but will center when power is added. None of my other identical hobbystar servos do this. Any thoughts?

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_3334.jpeg

Can you rephrase your issue there?
It simply doesn't make any sense to me. :unsure:

It may be equipped with a DPDT relay, kinda like your steering column in a vehicle that locks with ignition/power off. I'd imagine it may be a safety feature in certain applications

Can you rephrase your issue there?
It simply doesn't make any sense to me. :unsure:
It's really isn't a "problem" but a strange behavior. The wheels are locks in place in a turned stance when the power is off. When I turn the power on the wheel immediately center and can turn perfectly. I have an identical servo on my bench that doesn't seem to do this.

The stock servo on my outcast was doing this same thing turning off sideways before it lost most of it's power to turn.

After my own recent issue with Hobbystar and now reading this, beginning to think HS is garbage. :unsure:

Is it a direct powered servo? if it is, the servo locking would be caused by leaving the battery plugged in, if not it might be an issue with one of the capacitors in the esc.
In other words the servo is getting power when it shouldn’t.

Last edited:
Is it a direct powered servo? if it is, the servo locking would be caused by leaving the battery plugged in, if not it might be an issue with one of the capacitors in the esc.
In other words the servo is getting power when it shouldn’t.
It's a stock mt10 so usual connections.

It shouldn’t do that. Take the horn off, power it up, and let it center with all steering trim functions on the radio set to zero/neutral. It sounds like it wasn’t properly centered when installed and you fixed the problem with trim settings on your radio. Check the trim, sub trim, etc. on your radio and restore them all to factory defaults. Then power it up, let it center, reattach the horn with the wheels straight and then trim as necessary with your radio.

Might be a capacitor issue in the esc try the servo with an different power sour
It shouldn’t do that. Take the horn off, power it up, and let it center with all steering trim functions on the radio set to zero/neutral. It sounds like it wasn’t properly centered when installed and you fixed the problem with trim settings on your radio. Check the trim, sub trim, etc. on your radio and restore them all to factory defaults. Then power it up, let it center, reattach the horn with the wheels straight and then trim as necessary with your radio.
Yeah I’ll do that. Maybe it’s some type of failsafe function?

Servos are not designed to be turned from the outside in, rather they are designed to be turned with the motor inside. You are seeing the tiny variations in gear shape, axle pin fit, slop, etc. come into play that "jam" up the geartrain. These variables all play into why a servo refuses to turn when you try to turn it from the servo horn. The best practice is to leave your servo alone after you power down, forcing it to turn when powered down can damage gear teeth, axle pins, and even the case where the axle pins ride.

Servos are not designed to be turned from the outside in, rather they are designed to be turned with the motor inside. You are seeing the tiny variations in gear shape, axle pin fit, slop, etc. come into play that "jam" up the geartrain. These variables all play into why a servo refuses to turn when you try to turn it from the servo horn. The best practice is to leave your servo alone after you power down, forcing it to turn when powered down can damage gear teeth, axle pins, and even the case where the axle pins ride.
Fair enough. It works great when powered on just thought it was strange to bind like that especially considering my other identical servo doesn't.
The stock servo on my outcast was doing this same thing turning off sideways before it lost most of it's power to turn.

After my own recent issue with Hobbystar and now reading this, beginning to think HS is garbage. :unsure:
I only bought Hobbystar because I saw someone on here swearing by them. Mine broke within a few uses and I contacted HS asking what they thought happened. They never responded so I just kept sending emails. After about 10-12 emails I stopped. I'll never buy from them again just on principle.

Fair enough. It works great when powered on just thought it was strange to bind like that especially considering my other identical servo doesn't.

I only bought Hobbystar because I saw someone on here swearing by them. Mine broke within a few uses and I contacted HS asking what they thought happened. They never responded so I just kept sending emails. After about 10-12 emails I stopped. I'll never buy from them again just on principle.

The guy that runs Rcjuice is kind of a tool. He has banned me from his website 3 times now because my name is the same as someone who "tried to scam him" This guy thinks everyone tries to scam him.

Hobbystar servos are most likely the same servos as the Amazon ones, just in a different case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back